• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Town centre could lose up to 35 million a year from Fossetts Farm

Jam_Man

Life President
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/10350435.Blues_stadium_could_lose_town_centre_traders___35million_a_year/?action=success

Really? 35 million?

There are shops that I go to on retail parks that I would never dream of going to in the high street, eg Homebase/Currys etc. I personally think there is a place for both and its down the High St to attract customers before complaining about retail parks.

The Victoria shopping centre is still half empty years after it opened and thats nothing to do with Fossetts.

It's just the Royals kicking off, unhappy at the competition. A town of Southend's size, as well as being the main town in an urban area of about 250,000, should mean enough room for both. Maybe the Royals might have to cut their parking charges, but that's competition for you.

Indeed, they should worry about improving their own facilities before blaming everyone else.

Other than parking I just dont see how the two will compete anyway as retail parks normally have different types of shops. Its questionable we will even sell them at the moment anyway.

It's just the Royals kicking off, unhappy at the competition. A town of Southend's size, as well as being the main town in an urban area of about 250,000, should mean enough room for both. Maybe the Royals might have to cut their parking charges, but that's competition for you.
What the Royals should do is provide parking for residents at the Park Inn - come to an agreement with them, and also get rid of the poxy car valeting thing that takes up half the main floor of the car park!

The town centre parking charges in Southend are the problem..they are ridiculous..I think 3 hours costs you something like £4.50.No wonder people don't shop there.

The town centre parking charges in Southend are the problem..they are ridiculous..I think 3 hours costs you something like £4.50.No wonder people don't shop there.

Indeed, plus closing Farringdon hasnt helped.

Going into town is just hassle and costs money, always puts me off and barely go there. Until they make it more attractive I cant see how they will fill those empty shops.

Fossetts will no doubt struggle to be filled anyway.

I like going to Royal long time ago when I first visited Southend for their choice of restaurant's downstairs to exit door to seafront. Moment that close, the moment this shopping centre slowly killing themselves off.

you can blow £12 in the centre of Sheffield for 6 hours. Parking in general is extremely expensive.

I think it was something like £40 at Wembley for 3 hours.

Plus obviously a lot more petrol to get there....

I like going to Royal long time ago when I first visited Southend for their choice of restaurant's downstairs to exit door to seafront. Moment that close, the moment this shopping centre slowly killing themselves off.

Yes, agree with that. The food court was one of the best things about the Royals when it opened.

Southend high street has been a basket case for years anyway. Free parking might help but people have got to want to go there in the first place. Basildon got it right, they built a decent shopping centre in the middle of the town and made it cheap to park. The place is really busy most of the time. The reason towns like Sheffield (as mentioned earlier) and also Norwich can charge a fortune to park is because people still go there regardless. Southend doesn't have that luxury as its basically a rubbish shopping town.

Anyway, town centre's & high streets are generally for fashion-type shops & department stores. Out of town retail parks are usually for DIY & furniture shops etc, its a different market. If anything the high street could benefit from developements like Fossetts farm as they pull people into the area that otherwise would go elsewhere.

What a load of bollocks would love to walk whoever came up with that figure down the high street, which is already dying. Add to that the fact you have to pay for the honour of parking nearby. Vic plaza is half empty as are plenty of shops in and around the high street. Sky high rent and equally high rates do not help at all

Strange to hear you have to pay to park at shopping centres there.If they anything like the shopping centres we have here ,like westfields etc ,well we get free parking .only if you go into town centres do you have parking fees,but here where i live there are no parking fees.Apart from the town centre which is full of shops ,we have in close vicinity about 5 shopping centres and none charge parking fees.

They should just build a massive Ikea next to the stadium and be done with the rest of the outlets. The nearest one is miles away, and a nuisance to get to. Southend could do with an Ikea, and it wouldnt challenge the highstreet much

They should just build a massive Ikea next to the stadium and be done with the rest of the outlets. The nearest one is miles away, and a nuisance to get to. Southend could do with an Ikea, and it wouldnt challenge the highstreet much

Lakeside Ikea is like 25mins away.

Sheffield are trying to get an Ikea that's closer than 45mins, but struggling!

I treat Southend High street like a local convienance store and i only go there cos i live pretty damn close to it!!

Back