• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Town centre could lose up to 35 million a year from Fossetts Farm

But always rammed, an Ikea would be a great draw for a retail park in this area.

Problem with Ikea (based on the only one Ive been in anyway) is its massive. Not sure they could actually squeeze one into Fossetts, or do they have smaller stores than the one in Lakeside ?

Maybe they could build a stand around one.:smile:

Problem with Ikea (based on the only one Ive been in anyway) is its massive. Not sure they could actually squeeze one into Fossetts, or do they have smaller stores than the one in Lakeside ?

Maybe they could build a stand around one.:smile:

I like your thinking. It would come flat-packed & Ron could build it himself with a screwdriver and a sachet of squeezy glue..:thumbsup:

The main draw to the high street is Sainsburys. Free parking if you shop there, and you can also pop into other shops with your 2 hours free parking. Once Sainsburys has moved to Roots Hall people will not go to the High Street and then get a bus to Roots Hall to sop at Sainsburys.

The main draw to the high street is Sainsburys. Free parking if you shop there, and you can also pop into other shops with your 2 hours free parking. Once Sainsburys has moved to Roots Hall people will not go to the High Street and then get a bus to Roots Hall to sop at Sainsburys.

For some maybe, cant imagine the majority of visitors to the high street want to do their weekly shop though.

Ive never been to that Sainsbury as its in the middle of town and not convenient enough to "pop to". Thats why they want to move no doubt.

For some maybe, cant imagine the majority of visitors to the high street want to do their weekly shop though.

Ive never been to that Sainsbury as its in the middle of town and not convenient enough to "pop to". Thats why they want to move no doubt.

I think I've been to that Sainsbury's twice.

My mum used to shop at Sainos and went to the Rayleigh one (from Leigh).

I guess people avoid it a bit because it's bang in the middle of town. But might use it to get a few bits on Sat and use the 2hrs to park for free.

So I hear Chelmsford is pressing ahead with a £450m new shopping centre in the middle of the town, initially with a John Lewis's, to be followed by a flagship M&S plus some other big names I can't remember. Perhaps Southend's planners could learn a lesson and give Southend a proper central shopping centre instead of the two half-hearted attempts its previously made, and stop worrying that a new Homebase (or whatever) a mile or so up the road at Fossets might steel a few quid from the high street..

So I hear Chelmsford is pressing ahead with a £450m new shopping centre in the middle of the town, initially with a John Lewis's, to be followed by a flagship M&S plus some other big names I can't remember. Perhaps Southend's planners could learn a lesson and give Southend a proper central shopping centre instead of the two half-hearted attempts its previously made, and stop worrying that a new Homebase (or whatever) a mile or so up the road at Fossets might steel a few quid from the high street..

Details of the Chelmsford development which is on a scrappy area behind Gap on the High Street:

http://www.thisistotalessex.co.uk/John-Lewis-hub-set-boost-Chelmsford-economy/story-16947387-detail/story.html#axzz2TYMuKrrS

I stand corrected, its £64m not £450m, I obviously got carried away! None the less, its still a major project which shows the sort of ambition towns like Chelmsford have compared to Southend. And it was already a better shopping town to start with!

Back