• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Town plans could put stadium in jeopardy

[FONT=&quot]....and this paragraph just about sums up the mentality of those on the council. Is this guy for real? Sadly, it's typical of the parochial attitude taken by councillors for umpteen decades (back to Norman Harris and earlier) that everything in the town is or has been done either on a small scale or totally ineptly......or, after lengthy discussion, not at all.

"Tony Cox, councillor responsible for transport, said: “We have increased spaces in the last year. Last week we did a walk round with seafront traders to find additional spaces. We took out some underused yellow lines and rejigged some parking bays to provide extra capacity".

Wow, I bet that added all of a handful of new parking spaces! The council will just not face up to the fact that Southend is on it's knees, Hamlet Court Road is dying, the High Street an utter embarrassment and parking charges far too high. Only Leigh is hanging on in there - just. There's nothing here, other than RH, of note to attract people to the town and the days of the day-trippers have long disappeared yet the council have this peculiar belief it still exists. Anything by way of feasible / suitable development should be encouraged (be it FFS or elsewhere) to the nth degree to attract back those visitors who have been steadily lost over the years to Basildon, Chelmsford, Lakeside, Blue Water etc. etc But, locally, the dithering prevails and real progress is never seemingly made..

Hardly any wonder John Lewis chose Chelmsford for their new store, who in their right mind would open a shop in Southend?

If the council were as positive towards the FFS development as they were at creating havoc with the [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ongoing road junction schemes all around the town then the stadium building might have been underway by now....

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

This scheme has been planned for a while, it's nothing new in that sense, it was always a rival to FF. Seaway does appear to be unviable, in that it removes parking and it is going to be just as hard to get to as the High Street is, so what's the point?

I do think the Council will prefer the Fossets Farm scheme although they will of course have to consider both developments. Parking for seafront visitors is a major issue at the moment and building on Seaway car park meaning fewer spaces would be crazy.

It seems to me that the only people who want the Seaway scheme to proceed are Turnstone Estates and some dellusional members of our Council. As kaymac eluded to above, walking round the seafront to find a few extra parking spaces is hardly going to relieve the traffic situation, and, the Seaway development is only going to worsen the situation as one of Southends biggest car parks is going to be dug up. Also, three cinema complexes within a 2-3 mile radius. It all beggars belief. The current seafront traders don't want it, RM doesn't want it, and as a Southend resident I don't want it along with many others I suspect.

The FF farm project will be of far more benefit to the borough of Southend than the Seaway project. Homes and sporting facilities for local residents, national hotel and conference facilities, Southend in the national eye through its football team to name but a few. To build an another unwanted cinema complex with a few restaurants without sufficient parking provision will suffocate an already congested seafront. To even consider this development at the expense of the FF project is completely senseless to me.

Let's hope the inspector sees through the thoughtless design of this project and rejects it, and with reference to Mr Cox, shoves it where the sun doesn't shine.

If I remember rightly the Seaway scheme was saying an 80 bedroom hotel. Developers always use that one in Southend as it always ticks boxes for naïve councillors. The reality is no one will build an 80 bedroom hotel on that site for obvious reasons and when it comes to it the developer will then change the plans.

The town needs a large 4* hotel where you could have large weddings etc. FF would be far more suitable and who doesn't want easy parking when they go to the cinema. FF would have plenty of retail parking spaces available when the evening comes unlike the Seaway scheme.

Plus if we ever get back to having things like the Air show we could have a park and ride scheme from the FF match-day overflow car park.

If I remember rightly the Seaway scheme was saying an 80 bedroom hotel. Developers always use that one in Southend as it always ticks boxes for naïve councillors. The reality is no one will build an 80 bedroom hotel on that site for obvious reasons and when it comes to it the developer will then change the plans.

The town needs a large 4* hotel where you could have large weddings etc. FF would be far more suitable and who doesn't want easy parking when they go to the cinema. FF would have plenty of retail parking spaces available when the evening comes unlike the Seaway scheme.

Plus if we ever get back to having things like the Air show we could have a park and ride scheme from the FF match-day overflow car park.

Well that's a potential 80 parking spaces needed. Perhaps we could build this.

image.jpg

I can see nothing whatsoever in the article suggesting FF would be in jeopardy. Rather the tone is that given FF is happening Seaway should not be /need not be supported as well, and anyway it fails as a project in its own right.

There is nothing about if Seaway happens FF won't.

Of course none of this would be an issue if we had started building years ago.

So 600+ housing units planned for RH. Doesn't exactly look like it's going to get a swift vote of confidence though and Mr Lamb clearly is not a fan of Ronald!....I wonder if without planning permission for RH, there will be yet further delays.... :facepalm:

The fact the club and partners are trying to get this included in the SCAAP asap, would suggest that this housing development at RH is absolutely key to getting the stadium project rolling.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/15294265.600_new_homes_for_Roots_Hall/

How and why did the council drop the RH site from the SCAAP when its one of the largest sites still available in the town for redevelopment (housing etc) ? Just doesn't make any sense. What are the council playing at.

Mrs MAY said there is a great need for affordable housing .So southend council really should take in what there leader tells them .After all isn't southend council run by the tories .Also the main party in the southend constuancy in the government is also run by the tories . So where is the problem .

In the Echo it has been announced that the council have BOUGHT the old gasworks site on the seafront next to the premier inn. There had been planning permission for flats and shops on it, but the planning permission for this timed out and the plans were dropped, presumably due to the cost of cleaning up the site. Southend borough council now want to use the site for car parking, something the seafront needs more of. This then frees up Seaway car park for the new cinema and Fossetts Farm....? You work out the rest.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/15471816.New_seafront_car_park____on_the_cards___/?ref=mrb&lp=20

Travelodge have announced that they plan to put a new hotel on the Seaway car park. Hopefully Ron's plans for a hotel at FF will still be viable but we could do without this rival Seaway scheme.

I'm told the council should be making a decision in the next week or so. If Ron gets the go ahead then things should start fairly quickly. I'm also told we will building 4 sides rather than the 3 sides with the main stand to come later option. The other 'rumour' is there is some Yank interested in the project......mmmmmm

I'm told the council should be making a decision in the next week or so. If Ron gets the go ahead then things should start fairly quickly. I'm also told we will building 4 sides rather than the 3 sides with the main stand to come later option. The other 'rumour' is there is some Yank interested in the project......mmmmmm

Well you are usually fairly in the know so fingers crossed.

Really? That would be great news if true.

I did ask Ron that question directly a while back and he didnt answer it, which is unlike him because he does normally reply to questions. So I assumed it was going to be 3 sides, and the plans that they then published recently were also for 3 sides in the first phase.

It would be odd for the plans to have changed, but would be awesome if so.

Back