• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

danburyshrimper

Manager
Flicking through tv the other day i came across the old Eddie Murphy film Trading Places.

Now that got me thinking about how Shrimpers players would get on trading places with Premier stars....

My 1st thought was if Gavin Tomlin traded places with Wayne Rooney ( in my humble opinion one of the most vastly over rated + over paid footballers in history) .... i honestly think if Tomlin played in that Man Utd team for a whole season alongside Van Persie, took penalties + some free kicks , he would score just as many as Rooney has + would look just as effective yet around 200 times cheaper ! . Rooney , on the other hand , would probably look distinctly average getting booted around Accrington Stanley away on a tuesday night. It would be an interesting concept to see how their attitudes changed + how motivated they were, playing alongside a different class of player + in totally different surroundings.

I also thought about trading places between Daniel Bentley + Joe Hart ... then Bilel Mohsni with the similarly suspect attitude of QPR's Adel Taarabt ( obviously not in centre midfield , only a fool would play Mohsni in centre midfield)...

any other players you could imagine trading places ? ( In todays ridiculously saturated reality tv world , i'm surprised this wont be a tv show soon !! )

I wouldn't say Rooney was vastly over-rated, he isn't as good as some make out and I would actually like to see him leave with Lewandowski coming in, but I highly doubt that will happen. I don't think Tomlin has taken any penalties or freekicks for us this season either.

Anyway, back on topic and I would swap Mohsni for Cahill just so to see the defensive partnership of him and David Luiz!

My 1st thought was if Gavin Tomlin traded places with Wayne Rooney ( in my humble opinion one of the most vastly over rated + over paid footballers in history) .... i honestly think if Tomlin played in that Man Utd team for a whole season alongside Van Persie, took penalties + some free kicks , he would score just as many as Rooney has + would look just as effective yet around 200 times cheaper ! .

He'd be playing against much better defenders. Tomlin was was ineffective against us everytime we played against him when we were in league 1 for example never mind the prem.

Ryan Hall was way too good for this level but when put in a better team at a higher level he isnt good enough as up against better opposition.

Not sure this is a good idea - Trading Places II was a flop when Eddie Murphy missed that chance against Doncaster:'(

He'd be playing against much better defenders. Tomlin was was ineffective against us everytime we played against him when we were in league 1 for example never mind the prem.

Ryan Hall was way too good for this level but when put in a better team at a higher level he isnt good enough as up against better opposition.

I remember Wayne Rooney struggling against bread and butter defenders at the Hall.

My 1st thought was if Gavin Tomlin traded places with Wayne Rooney ( in my humble opinion one of the most vastly over rated + over paid footballers in history) .... i honestly think if Tomlin played in that Man Utd team for a whole season alongside Van Persie, took penalties + some free kicks , he would score just as many as Rooney has + would look just as effective yet around 200 times cheaper ! . Rooney , on the other hand , would probably look distinctly average getting booted around Accrington Stanley away on a tuesday night. It would be an interesting concept to see how their attitudes changed + how motivated they were, playing alongside a different class of player + in totally different surroundings.

This might be the most idiotic thing I ever read. And I've just spent the last 5 mins reading extracts of Tony Blackburn's autobiography.

This might be the most idiotic thing I ever read. And I've just spent the last 5 mins reading extracts of Tony Blackburn's autobiography.

Blimey , thats some accolade --- must have touched a nerve !!!!!!

.... FWIW I've got colleagues who are Man Ure fans who say Waynetta has been total garbage ever since THAT over head kick v Man City , ages ago .... and the games i ve watched him he's been unable to trap a bag of cement. I really have got no time for , or indeed , respect for, someone who earns £1/4 mio per week yet has an attitude than would even raise Nicky Bailey's eyebrows .....

Tomlin>Rooney for me

Back