• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

MK Shrimper

Striker
Had to post this, as I am flabbergasted at what ATOC are saying in response to the 5.9% rise in fares that you poor sods have to put up with.

Atoc said the fare increase would be used to pay for "new trains, faster services and better stations".

1) There won't be any new trains. Trains are actually leased from leasing companies, most of whom are owned by the major banks.

2) Faster services - How exactly without building a shed load of infrastructure? (which ain't going to happen). Cutting out stops? Breaking strict safety rules? An absolute nonsense.

3) Better stations - franchises are so short there's no gain in a TOC doing more than splashing a bit of paint around.

Let's face it, these ticket prices are being hiked to keep shareholders happy. What a way to run a railway. :nope:

I was comparing the 5.9 hike in BR fares in the UK(inflation 5%)with the 12% increase announced here yesterday in FGC(metro)fares from January.As Tommy Trinder used to say- "You lucky people".:omg:

2) Faster services - How exactly without building a shed load of infrastructure? (which ain't going to happen). Cutting out stops? Breaking strict safety rules? An absolute nonsense.
I'm fairly sure C2C's new timetable has seen journey times lengthened by a couple of minutes, even where Wet Sham hasn't been added to the journey, so they can 'improve' their punctuality record.

Not really quote sure how any of this is with in an open market ? Given that so many of the lines etc service a specific area or route , the individuals owners of said lines know this , so basically each one is a mini monopoly as you can get another competitors service to where you want to go ?

Also as MK says they just appear to be lying to justify these prices rises .

I'm fairly sure C2C's new timetable has seen journey times lengthened by a couple of minutes, even where Wet Sham hasn't been added to the journey, so they can 'improve' their punctuality record.

A train can be classified as on time if it's no later than 10 mins late at it's final destination. Forget the fact it may be 12/15 mins late at an intermediate stop and passengers miss vital connections. Timetables are stuffed full of padding that allows services to make up any in journey delays.

Its a ****ing joke, Southeastern Trains in kent are a shambles, i could happily have a "falling down" moment at the mere mention of these Sheisters!!! OK we got away with 6% this year but on top of the 12% last year and still no improvement in service its all a bit hard to swallow!!! :angry::angry::angry:

A train can be classified as on time if it's no later than 10 mins late at it's final destination. Forget the fact it may be 12/15 mins late at an intermediate stop and passengers miss vital connections. Timetables are stuffed full of padding that allows services to make up any in journey delays.

I thought it was 10% over its allowed time. To be fair to c2c the improvement in the service over the last 10 years has been nothing short of amazing, and they are continuing to improve their stations. The rolling stock is clean and efficient, and while I am not best pleased to pay such an increase at least we have a decent & pretty reliable standard of service on the old misery line. The only thing I'd really take issue with c2c is communications when something goes very wrong, it's poor and the platform staff still go missing.

I thought it was 10% over its allowed time. To be fair to c2c the improvement in the service over the last 10 years has been nothing short of amazing, and they are continuing to improve their stations. The rolling stock is clean and efficient, and while I am not best pleased to pay such an increase at least we have a decent & pretty reliable standard of service on the old misery line. The only thing I'd really take issue with c2c is communications when something goes very wrong, it's poor and the platform staff still go missing.

I wasn't too impressd with the Saturday bus service they put on from Basildon when I came back for the Plymouth game in September.:nope:.Certainly hope there won't be a repeat for the Daggers home game-otherwise it's back to the Liverpool Street line for me.
Agree with your last sentence though.:thumbdown:

To be fair to c2c the improvement in the service over the last 10 years has been nothing short of amazing, and they are continuing to improve their stations.

Indeed. I don't think they get the credit they deserve for moving from national "Misery Line" to the best in the country in such a short space of time.

I wasn't too impressd with the Saturday bus service they put on from Basildon when I came back for the Plymouth game in September

All of their engineering is flagged up well in advance via a tool I think you're familiar with. For example:

http://www.c2c-online.co.uk/travel_...ns/service_alterations/(month)/02/(year)/2012

Now added to my favourites.:thumbsup:
To be fair I'd never known them to do engineering work on a Saturday before and nor had anyone I spoke to after the game.Even my best mate's youngest daughter was caught out and she's a fairly savvy net person.

I havent been on c2c for over 5 years and even I know they do/have done engineering on weekends.

ps I love working from home. Travel expenses down from £260 per month to erm £0.

I've just started train commuting again after nearly 12 years travelling on the tube. £52 a week for an 18 minute journey is a little steep, but SO FAR I can't have any complaints about the service. Looking forward to the fare rise next month :'(

Incidentally, I read yesterday that, on the Underground, Boris Johnson is looking to reduce fares for journeys ending before 0730. The idea being that it would help low-paid workers such as cleaners and security guards who need to get in early and are being priced out of the Underground and on to the buses. Of course, there would be plenty of high paid folk who would benefit too, but it seems a sound idea. Should note as well that apparently it wasn't Boris' idea at all and that he nicked if off one of the Lib Dems!

I've just started train commuting again after nearly 12 years travelling on the tube. £52 a week for an 18 minute journey is a little steep, but SO FAR I can't have any complaints about the service. Looking forward to the fare rise next month :'(

Incidentally, I read yesterday that, on the Underground, Boris Johnson is looking to reduce fares for journeys ending before 0730. The idea being that it would help low-paid workers such as cleaners and security guards who need to get in early and are being priced out of the Underground and on to the buses. Of course, there would be plenty of high paid folk who would benefit too, but it seems a sound idea. Should note as well that apparently it wasn't Boris' idea at all and that he nicked if off one of the Lib Dems!
Hope he reduces fares for part timers who leave after 10am as well :smile: let the rush hour lot pay for us!!

Back