• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Tranmere have definitely had the better of the matches between the two clubs that have taken place on a fairly regular basis since the abolition of Div 3 North and South. We haven't had a 0-0 with them at Roots Hall for 20 years though.

Saturday's referee is Graham Horwood from Luton, in his 6th year as a League referee and refereeing his 9th Southend game. It will be his third Southend match of the season and it's fair to say the other two did not go well for us!

His six years of League service are either side of a two year gap when he was demoted for performance reasons.

His visit to Roots Hall earlier this season was to preside over the start and end of our Cup run. That Chester match saw a hefty number of yellows, 4 a piece. Ours went to Binnom-Williams, Sokolik, White and Timlin.

Shortly after that he was in charge of our match at Wycombe, where we were very much second best. The sending off of Binnom-Williams was probably correct. Yellows went to O'Toole and Deegan and a couple of theirs.

His only other Southend match since his re-instatement was the pre-Christmas, Friday night game last year against Rochdale which finished 1-1. It was 1-1 on yellow cards too - Leonard got ours and ex-blue Lund, theirs. He did okay.

During his period of de-selection he appeared in Southend matches on a couple of occasions as an Assistant. Before that, his previous four visits to Roots Hall as a referee weren't too bad. The most recent was the final home game of 2008/9 against Cheltenham. The other three were Hereford in the same season and Rochdale in the cup and Bournemouth in the League the year before that. So we have a very decent home record with this official. The only match of these with a significant number of cards was the Rochdale Cup game where they had 4 yellows to our one. Le Fondre scored for them; Bailey and Harrold for us.

Since those he refereed the 1-0 defeat at Aldershot 2010/11 when we shaded the yellows 3-2.

Average cards (76 yellows and 4 reds from 24 games) but he hasn't had a Championship match since September and the vast majority of his last dozen matches have been League Two. Based on his appointments I would imagine he's going to be somewhat nervous when the referees' retained list comes out at the end of the season!

Assisting will be two Kentish men, Ian Cooper from Rochester and Ian Fissenden from Gravesend with Geoff Russell from Rushden doing the 4th official stuff.

I remember not being impressed with his performance at Wycombe... not impressed at all.

I also remember that 0-0 draw with Tranmere - New Years Day if I recall or around that time. I think we had Hospitality.
20 years ago.... Sjoe!

Here's hoping he has a good game tomorrow :unsure:
We always hope for a good ref don't we?? But always get one that thinks he's better and gets involved

We need to be careful tomorrow , don't need a big player getting sent off and banned with the games coming up

Based on his appointments I would imagine he's going to be somewhat nervous when the referees' retained list comes out at the end of the season!

Based on that performance, I'd say he has every reason to be nervous. Shocking ref.

Think he's gained the number 1 spot for worst referee we've had this season.

Inept, poor decisions, inconsistent, about the only thing he got right was the time.
And when their GK came forward for the corner in the last minute the shirt colour match with the officials was obvious so why didn't they wear traditional black?
If I was marking him this ref would not be on league lists next season.

On another day that penalty not given could of cost us. Even with the win, and not any result changing decisions, he was quite possibly the worst I have seen for years.

Some refs get slated when they can have a good game, and just get one decision wrong, and are not genuinely bad refs, but this guy was just terrible. Giving free kicks when there wasn't any, playing advantage when there wasn't any, pulling it back when there was an advantage, the list goes on.

You can always tell when a referee is having a bad game as both sets of supporters tell him so, as was the case today.

Was thinking of Micks comments during the game about this refs chances of getting league appointments next season and based on today's game we have seen the last of him.:thumbdown:

I also remember that 0-0 draw with Tranmere - New Years Day if I recall or around that time. I think we had Hospitality.
20 years ago.... Sjoe!

G*d, that was that awful match in the snow with the orange ball.

Think there was one clear chance which Gary Jones missed.

Apart from that, everyone spent the afternoon having their proverbials frozen off!

Was very inept today and happy to give little things but bottled any obvious big decisions. No help from assistants to be fair either

The lino running in front of the East wasn't watching the game properly. I have the misfortune of running the line quite often for my son's u18 team, and I know it's not easy, but he missed some very obvious decisions by looking the wrong way, and the number of times he waited for the ref to signal before he raised his flag was farcical

Don't know about anyone else, but I am waiting to hear from any of our regular resident refs here.......:whistling:

Back