• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Tranmere Rovers 2-0 Southend United

Ox 7. Nothing much he could have done with either goal

Elvis 4. Time for a rest
Dieng 5. Played really well, but lost his man for the goal. Time to get Hobson or white in
Lennon 6.
clifford 7. Didn’t do too much wrong

Demi 6. Not as involved as much as recently. Maybe time for him to resume at right back
ANG. 7. Really like the look of him
Olayinka 7. Played really well
Taylor 6. Was excellent first half, but tried to force it too much when we went 442
Egbri 6. As per normal, good first half, poor second half. Hopefully MM clocks this and starts to sub him

acquah 4. Not the answer week in and week out at this stage in his career. We are crying out for a better option

subs
Goodship 3. Bottled 2 tackles.
sterling 5 struggled to get involved, but did ok when he was

MM. Much better. We were set up to look like a team. Sort out the set pieces and the forward problem and there are signs there after today. Tactically much better, get the ball a bit longer and feed off the scraps. That’s league 2.

ref 4. The first penalty looked a cert for me. The second one, I don’t know why sterling would have hit the deck rather than shoot, but the same thing happened last week and the ref didn’t give the spot kick then either. There were a couple of deliberate pull backs which should have been yellow cards. Got most of the other decisions right though

In which case you'll no longer be supporting the Blues......
I still love the club but I can't continue to promote the catastrophe we have seen for nearly 3 years. I'm voting with my money and Ron won't get another penny for this s**t show.

I'd much rather save it for rainy days, considering things aren't looking up outside of football.

Oxley made a couple of good saves 2nd half. Egbri and ANG can be a handful down both sides, Clifford a positive addition with his overlaps and crosses. Plays with confidence. Kyle still looks our best player, should have hit the target after his run into the box though. The crosses and attacking play in the 1st half had no one on the end of it though.
Heads dropped for a while after the 2nd goal, but at least they showed some fight and urgency towards the end unlike the performance against Salford. Result is still the same though.

On reflection after that game we need to clear our debts and recruit one or two forwards with a nose for goal and some L2 experience as soon as possible. Failing that I'm at a loss to see where the goals are going to come from. I was hoping for an improved performance after Tuesday night, and I did at least see that. We still persist with tippy tappy at times, and that is a criticism of MM's tactics, when we were more direct and pressing in the Tranmere half, we looked half decent until the important goal scoring point. Maybe if Olayinka's effort in the first few minutes had gone in then it could have been a totally different result, but when you're luck is down it just doesn't happen for you does it?

I can't believe Ron is blind to things and the only reason I can see why he hasn't done something about it is because he doesn't have the money to change things round. It's totally amazing to me that one poster has already started a Molesley out thread, what is the bloke meant to do with the squad he has? Anyway, back to the game, better than the last one and something to build on but, as with the younger players, Mark Molesley has to learn from his mistakes so far and, at the very least, make us hard to beat. I'm also starting to wonder whether Macca is going to be a 60 minute one game wonder like someone else we know, I really hope not.

Finally, welcome back Tom Clifford, you justified your selection this afternoon and you will get better with more games.

Was subjected to the Tranmere commentary and they were hypercritical of the way their team played first half hour, quite rightly, as were by far the better side. Their early subs paid off immediately, where was the marking for that free kick that produced the first goal? We looked slick on the ball with good movement and passing until the final third, where our shortcomings were cruelly exposed with no nous and no instinct for goal. Oh for someone like Clarke at centre half, who put all his experience to good use, knowing exactly how to play the man and the ref. And for a proper centre forward like Vaughan. Unfair to criticise these kids who are learning some hard lessons on the job, but if we can't beat the likes of Tranmere, we really are doomed to non league football.

I want Ron in front of the cameras to explain his vision for the club!
We are putting unfair pressure on a lot of young players to deliver.
Thought Kyle Walker and Jason were the only players who really wanted the ball.
Egbri looks good but no end result.
Arsenal loanee disappeared 2nd half
We seem incapable of passing to each other consistently and the 4th pass seems to go astray. Defensively from set pieces we are a disaster area and if I was Oldham I would be looking to just get free kicks and corners.
As for scoring we could still be on the pitch now and not score.
Ron needs to walk away from the football side of the club and bring in someone who knows hot to run a club.
People keep using the term sleepwalking into relegation,,,,we are not sleepwalking - everyone is fully aware including Ron but all he wants is Flats on Roots Hall! which if we go bust might make it easier to do!
Looking forward to Ground sharing with Billericay when "Ron Towers" is opened!!
Anyway will be back on iFollow Tuesday more in desperation than hope
COYB!!!

I wish people would realise that both things can exist at the same time. Ron Martin is to blame mostly, but at the same time can understand that MM *might* not be up too much.

I think the stance of saying "Runs deeper than Molesley, none of this his fault" is quite frankly, dangerous. Any other manager would have been ripped to shreds by now, why are affording MM such a luxury? What's it going to take, 10 games without a win? 15 games without a win?

"He is playing kids" that excuse has expired now. About the last 5 games he has only started 1 or 2 'kids'. He has signed 8 players and actually spent a fee on ANG, and is about to have the embargo cleared. Time to show something.

For what it's worth, I am not MM out. Silly and way too premature, but he is not exempt from criticism. Even the commentators today were questioning little decisions he makes. All Im saying is, some moaned Ron doesn't act fast enough. He doesn't need to act on anything yet of course, but if the time comes, I hope he don't take long. Because I don't think MM makes it past christmas.

To be fair, Elvis is 21 , Clifford 21, Taylor 20/21, Olayinka 20, Egbri, 19, Acquah 20, Sterling 21. All young players. I know MM bought 3 of them in but he didn't have the choice of players to pick from, I doubt we're a club many want to play for right now.

Bench we have Seaden (19), Hobson (22), Rush (19), Phillips (23 but barely played a League game). This team is still too young to compete properly.

Rating's for backwards United.

Ox 5 let him off this week......not a lot he could do about the rubbish in front of him
Elvis 2 getting more and more negative by the week
Dieng 5 ok
Lennon 6 best of the defenders
Clifford 5 ok, not great but better than Taylor
Demi 2 most negative midfielder for a long time
Arsenal bloke 6 got something but hard with these stiffs
Egbri 5 lively but pretty useless at passing anyone and awful shooting
Acquah 1 Burger King are hiring
Taylor 8.....fantastic to see a bloke so comfortable on the ball....wasted with us
N.G 6 Same as the Arsenal bloke

Summary.......need 6 new players otherwise the new Stadium is going to look pretty silly ( won't happen anyway)

Much better up until Tranmere scored against the run of play, ANG and Olayinka both impressed in this period. Sadly after the goal we didn't threaten much other than the run and ballooned shot from Taylor where he should have hit the target at least. Tranmere's second goal was flukey but if you don't shoot you don't score, we still faff about too much trying to walk the ball in. It would be nice to get an early cross or shot in occasionally. We've got to improve defending set pieces too, far too many free headers for Tranmere today.

Although he's still raw and struggles to win as many headers as he could, we still look more threatening with Acquah on the pitch IMO and I disagreed with his substitution. I'd persevere with him, the Goodship/Stirling combo certainly shows no signs of working, Acquah to start with either or for me.

We played well, especially through the midfield. The problems persist both ends though. Always ready to concede a goal or two while incapable of threatening at the other end. Oh well... we go again. It's so painful to watch.

Far better performance and something to build on despite the disappointing result. Many positives to be taken from that. ANG was excellent and once up to full match sharpness will be a great player for us. Olayinka looks to have bundles of technical ability and a good footballing brain, he looks another astute signing. I also thought Taylor had a good game and really tried to drive forward. Clifford impressed me a huge amount too, I thought his attacking play and delivery was very good.

I think we’re a couple of signings away from having a decent enough team to compete. We may already have those signings in the ranks, as I’m sure we’ll improve once White, Macca and Akinola return.

The main issue at the moment for me is that our centre backs and Oxley are still a bit suspect. I‘ve never been a huge Lennon fan and Dieng just doesn’t have the defensive ability. Need a bigger, more commanding centre back in to partner one of them. We look so vulnerable from set pieces at the moment. If rumours are true and Oxley wants a move back north, if we can get someone like Josh Vickers in and mutually terminate Ox’s contract, it might be best for all involved. Something doesn’t seem right with him and he’s certainly not playing with the same confidence he once was.

Some small green shoots hopefully starting to peak through. I’m still fully behind MM and trusting in the process. This is a long term job. He took us over at one of the lowest points of our recent history. We all need to be patient and realise that he took the hardest job in the football league.

I wish people would realise that both things can exist at the same time. Ron Martin is to blame mostly, but at the same time can understand that MM *might* not be up too much.

I think the stance of saying "Runs deeper than Molesley, none of this his fault" is quite frankly, dangerous. Any other manager would have been ripped to shreds by now, why are affording MM such a luxury? What's it going to take, 10 games without a win? 15 games without a win?

"He is playing kids" that excuse has expired now. About the last 5 games he has only started 1 or 2 'kids'. He has signed 8 players and actually spent a fee on ANG, and is about to have the embargo cleared. Time to show something.

For what it's worth, I am not MM out. Silly and way too premature, but he is not exempt from criticism. Even the commentators today were questioning little decisions he makes. All Im saying is, some moaned Ron doesn't act fast enough. He doesn't need to act on anything yet of course, but if the time comes, I hope he don't take long. Because I don't think MM makes it past christmas.

When are people going to realise that we cannot keep burning through managers like this? Sol Campbell had to go for numerous reasons, but apart from that changing managers every few months isn't the answer. We need stability.

The squad at MM's disposal just isn't good enough as a collective at the moment. He's tried to strengthen with some signings, but his ability and freedom to get in what he feels he really needs has been ruined by Ron Martin's handling of club finances. Pre-season preparation was also ruined, with just 4 weeks given for him to get to know, assess and prepare his players and with no access to B&L gym facilities, once again all due to Ron Martin's handling of club finances (and a little bit due to the 'Rona).

I think relegation is an inevitability right now and it might be time to just accept it. Take it on the chin, have a complete clear-cut in the summer - and I mean completed with no professional player on our books surviving it. Too many pre-existing and, now, new players poisoned by the losing mentality here. Completely wipe the slate clean and start again from scratch. Preferably with MM in my opinion.

So, I missed this one but seemingly we played a bit better til Tranmere scored (or was it them playing awful before sussing us out?) ..
This is getting predictable, it’s like teams know that once they land a right hook and an uppercut we’re crashing to the canvas and we aren’t getting up. Can’t see where the next win is coming from .. BUT Molesley stays for me. Lots of games left and we’ve had way too much chopping and changing of late. I still say keep working at the basics, namely set pieces and keeping the ball out of the net. At least play for draws, if we’ve no hope of scoring (how many would have Kelman, Hutch, Hump or Theo back now?!).

Repeat after me..

We are only 3 points from safety. We are only 3 points from safety. We are only 3 points from safety.

There. Does anyone feel better? No?

Me neither.

4 with goal difference, no?

Back