• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Tranmere Rovers 2-0 Southend United

So, I missed this one but seemingly we played a bit better til Tranmere scored (or was it them playing awful before sussing us out?) ..
This is getting predictable, it’s like teams know that once they land a right hook and an uppercut we’re crashing to the canvas and we aren’t getting up. Can’t see where the next win is coming from .. BUT Molesley stays for me. Lots of games left and we’ve had way too much chopping and changing of late. I still say keep working at the basics, namely set pieces and keeping the ball out of the net. At least play for draws, if we’ve no hope of scoring (how many would have Kelman, Hutch, Hump or Theo back now?!).
They were just sitting back and letting us dominate them but we were playing very well, unsurprisingly without threatening to score a goal though. They didn’t necessarily suss us out, it was a standard goal from a set piece. And as usual, we gave up after going a goal down.

I thought the high defensive line a their free kicks was a mistake - cost us a goal and a near miss later on .... hopeless with a keeper who sticks on his line .... ditto a Salford

for the first 30 minutes we had them in the ropes witth 5 man midfield - centre 3 of JD and 2 loanees with Egbri and Nathaniel was good - BUT Tranmere sussed it and made changes .. we didn't change ..

by he end we were back to passing backwards - lost - leaderless - and despairing.

we have an inexperienced non league manager in charge ....

I am sure he is a good guy but he goes to bed tonight with 91 league clubs on top of him

Someone asked when Akinola was fit and whether he's make any difference. My brother lives in Braintree and saw him many times playing for them during the season that they nearly got into the football league. OK it was 4 seasons ago but he says he was a strong player in the national League. He is not a target man more of a pacey number 10. He's not played League football. Maybe it's asking a lot to see him as our saviour up front but he is good. I read a report that his father died of Covid before Barnet's playoff games.

It is just as has been said above. Until we can defend crosses competently we will not keep clean sheets, which is the only way to get points on the board and begin to build. And then we need to start being threatening up front. Until this happens it seems we are destined to continue struggling in bottom place.
If Oldham do their homework they will know to throw in crosses from the start. We do need a modicum of luck to come our way too. Right now a JD penalty looks our most likely scoring option.

Rating's for backwards United.

Ox 5 let him off this week......not a lot he could do about the rubbish in front of him
Elvis 2 getting more and more negative by the week
Dieng 5 ok
Lennon 6 best of the defenders
Clifford 5 ok, not great but better than Taylor
Demi 2 most negative midfielder for a long time
Arsenal bloke 6 got something but hard with these stiffs
Egbri 5 lively but pretty useless at passing anyone and awful shooting
Acquah 1 Burger King are hiring
Taylor 8.....fantastic to see a bloke so comfortable on the ball....wasted with us
N.G 6 Same as the Arsenal bloke

Summary.......need 6 new players otherwise the new Stadium is going to look pretty silly ( won't happen anyway)
[/QUOhe
you are JDs dad and I claim my £5 ?

slightly off topic but i always remember peter clarke telling me when he scored the goal against chelsea that gave us the replay he threw his shirt into the crowd because he lost his away shirt our dear chairman ron made him pay for it , so bet clarkey had a little smile about that today .

We can't score goals and we concede from set pieces. These are both solvable problems. Bring in some experience in these areas and we might just finish 21st!

I won’t be too harsh on our younger players as I think that right now, we are asking way too much from them. I don’t think it’s too disrespectful to say (as they are still learning the game and can certainly go on to have good careers as footballers) but in previous seasons Egbri and Acquah would be heading out on loan to Harlow Town for a month even if we were in league two. It is not fair to ask them to start games at this level...they are NOWHERE near ready.

I also won’t turn on MM as of yet, yes the last few games have been very disappointing after those back-to-back draws but he has brought in 8 players - he no doubt needs to bring in 5 or 6 more and loan out some of the aforementioned youngsters. For those saying - he has only brought in more youngsters and loanees - I would like to know what he has actually been allowed to spend by Ron and I’m talking about wages here, most of the clubs we have brought in players from will be paying a portion of their wages. Yes, he has brought in ANG - who could in time, turn out to be a good signing for us but he needs to be able to bring in more permanent signings. Everything screams right now of a manager having to wheel and deal with one hand tied behind his back.
What I will say though...as MM is not beyond criticism...is how hard is it to train a team to defend set-pieces?! I feel like Tony Pulis deserves a PHD!!

I don't know what more to say, other than what I wrote on Tuesday and last Saturday. We are not going to win many games if we don't score and we are not going to win many games if we can't keep a clean sheet.We need to find 2 goals per game.

People talk about luck. But you make your own luck. The more you play in the opponent's penalty box, the luckier you are. It appears our best form of defence is to attack.

So disheartening, 25 minutes in it only seemed a matter of time before we created something good and nicked a goal. As soon as they scored you knew it was all over. At least the season tickets should be cheaper in the conference, although it may be bold to assume we exist next year.

When are people going to realise that we cannot keep burning through managers like this? Sol Campbell had to go for numerous reasons, but apart from that changing managers every few months isn't the answer. We need stability.

The squad at MM's disposal just isn't good enough as a collective at the moment. He's tried to strengthen with some signings, but his ability and freedom to get in what he feels he really needs has been ruined by Ron Martin's handling of club finances. Pre-season preparation was also ruined, with just 4 weeks given for him to get to know, assess and prepare his players and with no access to B&L gym facilities, once again all due to Ron Martin's handling of club finances (and a little bit due to the 'Rona).

I think relegation is an inevitability right now and it might be time to just accept it. Take it on the chin, have a complete clear-cut in the summer - and I mean completed with no professional player on our books surviving it. Too many pre-existing and, now, new players poisoned by the losing mentality here. Completely wipe the slate clean and start again from scratch. Preferably with MM in my opinion.

Bollox to accepting defeat & relegation.
It’s not that easy just to take it on the chin, drop down & pop back.
Just ask the likes of Barnet, Chesterfield, Stockport, Torquay, Hartlepool, Notts County, Halifax, Wrexham, Yeovil, York & Darlington, many of them historically long lived league sides.

If we go down we’re likely not coming back for a while..
If it means a change of manager to scrap our way up the table then so be it.
We don’t owe MM a thing so if he continues in the same vein over the next 10 games then get rid & try someone else..

Last edited:
Bollox to accepting defeat & relegation.
It’s not that easy just to take it on the chin, drop down & pop back.
Just ask the likes of Barnet, Chesterfield, Stockport, Torquay, Hartlepool, Notts County, Halifax, Wrexham, Yeovil, York & Darlington, many of them historically long lives league sides.

If we go down we’re likely not coming back for a while..
If it means a change of manager to scrap our way up the table then so be it.

Usually no would agree but I just don't see how anybody can turn this current situation around.

Back