• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Tranmere Rovers 2-0 Southend United

Very disappointing quotes fromTilly, ''Things just didn't go our way in front of goal and we just needed that little bit of luck.'' ''We played some decent stuff and I wasn't actually disappointed with the performance.''

I did not go but listened to the whole game on BBC Essex, and we were pants. They were poor and we was worse. Half the team had an off night and the second in command striker hardly touched the ball. The two commentators were there, and kept saying how bad we are playing, and we haven't come out of the starting traps.

Get real Tilly, away from home we are ineffective, and lucky our goalie is in such fine form. We know your hands are tied and doing an impossible job, but please don't try to tell us we are playing good stuff when we play crap.
Somebody from the club needs to tell the truth now and again.

Last edited:
Very disappointing quotes fromTilly, ''Things just didn't go our way in front of goal and we just needed that little bit of luck.'' ''We played some decent stuff and I wasn't actually disappointed with the performance.''

I did not go but listened to the whole game on BBC Essex, and we were pants. They were poor and we was worse. Half the team had an off night and the second in command striker hardly touched the ball. The two commentators were there, and kept saying how bad we are playing, and we haven't come out of the starting traps.

Get real Tilly, away from home we are ineffective, and lucky our goalie is in such fine form. We know your hands are tied and doing an impossible job, but please don't try to tell us we are playing good stuff when we play crap.
Somebody from the club needs to tell the truth now and again.

I don't agree on this occasion. We were obviously crap last night and this club is deep in the brown stuff at the moment but the one thing we do have is a good team spirit. If the rumours are true and the players are still owed money, it's a wonder that things are holding together as well as they are. I'm not sure that Tilly coming out and saying we were all **** last night is a good idea. He most likely thinks it but he has to stick up for his players who usually give him 100% every time.

I watched the interview with Tilly on Blues World and he looked like a man at the end of his tether; fed up, losing enthusiasm, trying to hold back the water from a leaking dam with no resources, no players and no money!
Ron needs to be really careful or he is going to walk the next time a club comes sniffing around.
No one can manage a team where we basically pick up a player on the M1 on the way to a match, that is how a pub team is run!

I watched the interview with Tilly on Blues World and he looked like a man at the end of his tether; fed up, losing enthusiasm, trying to hold back the water from a leaking dam with no resources, no players and no money!
Ron needs to be really careful or he is going to walk the next time a club comes sniffing around.
No one can manage a team where we basically pick up a player on the M1 on the way to a match, that is how a pub team is run!

And that, coincidentally is how we said they looked in the first half!

This was a game we really should not have lost. The wind was against us in the first half and their goal came from a spot of head tennis in our six-yard box. I was happy it was only 1-0 at HT, thinking we'd have the benefit of the wind in the final 45. Course it dropped and their second goal came after a period of some pressure from us, where we should have scored. I was up and ready to celebrate in a goalmouth melee in front of us, but the pinball wizardry in their 6 yard box somehow resulted in their benefit and we were left to rue Dougie's earlier decision to play Laurent in at an acute angle when Barney was better placed at the far post. This was symptomatic of a general malaise amongst some of our players not spotting Barney's runs in time, especially Francis, resulting in missed opportunities and Barney's increased frustration.

On the plus side - well, we've got to draw comfort where we can - Malone looked quick, decisive in the challenge and prepared to overlap, Morrison's first full game was encouraging and Mildy remains in fine form.

I'm intrigued that the people that were there said that we were hopeless, lacking invention and a lot of the time - effort, where as Tilly says he was happy with both the performance and effort. Hmm, I hope he's not going stark raving mad after what's happened.

I'm intrigued that the people that were there said that we were hopeless, lacking invention and a lot of the time - effort, where as Tilly says he was happy with both the performance and effort. Hmm, I hope he's not going stark raving mad after what's happened.

No, honest, first half we were like a Sunday league team (no offence intended) but second, some of them realised that they were actually playing for something - pride/value/Tilly, who knows what? - and DID begin to work and to play the ball around.

Conditions first half were awfully windy and second awfully slippery - we were playing in yellow which I couldn't work out why, and which kit seems to me not to have been very lucky for us this year (superstitious twaddle I know!). Laurent, Macca, Barney and Barrett all stepped up to the mark in the 2nd half, meaning we had 7 players playing.

Corners, every time we had one we were all packed in around the goal - every time they had one they were all over the place, really spread out - a far more effective way of dealing with them. I see what Tilly is saying, honest I do, our luck has to change soon.

Good point. Then again nobody knows less about football than a clubs supporters & manager.

On a more serious note from me.......... I did mention it on the OMT a couple of times.
I had a feeling that we really missed Grant's influence on Tuesday night .......would anyone like to comment?

On a more serious note from me.......... I did mention it on the OMT a couple of times.
I had a feeling that we really missed Grant's influence on Tuesday night .......would anyone like to comment?

Yes, we did miss him. He is a better defensive right back than Franno and going by Tuesday's poor passing, better there going forward too. Thing is, Franno on his day puts in some lovely crosses. Tuesday was not his or anyone's day though ... :'(

anyone got a link to home and away league table for this year and previous years.

anyone got a link to home and away league table for this year and previous years.

Funny enough that is one of the better features on the Official Site:- http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/Fixtures/0,,10444,00.html

Just click on the TB button and the table will be shown. It's quite handy for finding out what position we were say on the 30th November 2002 (14th in League 3).

Only goes back to 2001 though so before that its probably best to look on SUFC database.

Back