• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Tranmere Rovers 2-0 Southend United

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
No-one bothered? Thought I'd start it as I'm likely first one up this morning - after just an hour and a half's sleep and getting in at 2.40!

Huge disappointment, the team that played Friday was just completely absent for the first half, and some of them for the second too. It was like Gillingham away all over again, just quite shocking. With wind and rain the ball was continuously punted up in the air in a kind of lottery to see who could read the weather best, not ideal conditions.

Mildy - 7, a star again for us, November has been a brilliant month for him. 1st goal was a knock back at the far post which he went for, leaving the Tranny forward an easy tap in. 2nd goal defensive mess up by Franno, left Mildy little chance. These apart he made some excellent saves.
Franno - 4, now you know I'm not one to knock the players but honestly, he struggled to do anything right at all apart put one or two crosses in, had difficulty even controlling the ball.
Morrison - 7, good, strong performance from young Sean, challenged Barrett for corners and looked far more likely to score. One shot on target needed a save.
Barrett - 6, was in a "wrestling" frame of mind, and upset the Tranny supporters (not the only player to do so), booked
Malone - 7.5, MOTM quite a debut from the youngster. Much more confident than Herd, good going forward, made himself available, overlapped and took some decent corners. Defensively more aware too - welcome to Southend young man!
Laurent - 6, shadow of himself in the first half but came alive a bit as the match went on, some good pace in the early part of the 2nd half. Bit of afters with their goalie I think, again, the Tranny fans went berserk - cue lots of "calm downs" from us!
Macca - 7, and that's based on his 2nd half performance which was very good. Nice to see the variety of a free kick outside the box centered to him to shoot from distance, not seen one of those for ages, shame Dougie overhit the pass, he also had an excellent volley shot which missed only by a little.
Jeff - 6, another who looked a bit of a shadow, played forward more because I guess defensively we were in theory stronger, which seemed to upset the balance.
Moussa - 5, seriously off form, again. Couple of runs, particularly towards the end of the game, but prior to that couldn't pass or control.
Dougie - 5, not a vintage performance and still far too many high balls pumped forward which he could do little with. He needed the ball to feet and wasn't getting it.
Barney - 6, lot of huff and puff, but few chances. Was livid with Scannell for not passing when he was better placed.

Subs:
Scannell for Dougie - 6, looked a threat, Damien though, you HAVE to raise your head and be aware of your team mates when running thru
Walker for Laurent - 6, little chance to make an impression

Officials:
7, decent set, couldn't say anything was poor. Maybe a bit lenient with some Tranmere challenges and some iffy offsides given by the lino

Those ratings seem quite high for a team that just got tonked 2-0 by the league's bottom team and who never had a shot on target all night.

Well done to those who traveled to watch that. Difficult to no what to say about that proformance, a bunch of strangers in defence, although the two young lads didnt let the side down. Moussa having another of day, and Freedman, well old farther time seems to have caught up with Dougie. Oh well Charlton next, they need to play better than that though.

Well done to those who traveled to watch that. Difficult to no what to say about that proformance, a bunch of strangers in defence, although the two young lads didnt let the side down. Moussa having another of day, and Freedman, well old farther time seems to have caught up with Dougie. Oh well Charlton next, they need to play better than that though.

Nope, the small matter of Norwich at home next Tuesday first.

A poor display from us. A few good pieces of football but why we persisted to try and play the chip ball forward or over the top in those conditions baffled me plus when we did get it down on the deck Tranmere could not get near us. That said their game plan was to close us down as soon as we had the ball and be in our faces, which they did a pretty good job of achieving.

Thought Malone and Morrison had good games as did Barney who never gave up but we could have played all night and still not scored. Shame Macca's cracking volley never went in - reminded me of the one he scored at Preston a few years back in the Championship.

Highlight of the night - the pre-match meal at the Italian opposite the ground. Glad I did not have the long trip back like the faithful that made the journey - I was in bed for 11pm!

No-one bothered? Thought I'd start it as I'm likely first one up this morning - after just an hour and a half's sleep and getting in at 2.40!

Huge disappointment, the team that played Friday was just completely absent for the first half, and some of them for the second too. It was like Gillingham away all over again, just quite shocking. With wind and rain the ball was continuously punted up in the air in a kind of lottery to see who could read the weather best, not ideal conditions.

Mildy - 7, a star again for us, November has been a brilliant month for him. 1st goal was a knock back at the far post which he went for, leaving the Tranny forward an easy tap in. 2nd goal defensive mess up by Franno, left Mildy little chance. These apart he made some excellent saves.
Franno - 4, now you know I'm not one to knock the players but honestly, he struggled to do anything right at all apart put one or two crosses in, had difficulty even controlling the ball.
Morrison - 7, good, strong performance from young Sean, challenged Barrett for corners and looked far more likely to score. One shot on target needed a save.
Barrett - 6, was in a "wrestling" frame of mind, and upset the Tranny supporters (not the only player to do so), booked
Malone - 7.5, MOTM quite a debut from the youngster. Much more confident than Herd, good going forward, made himself available, overlapped and took some decent corners. Defensively more aware too - welcome to Southend young man!
Laurent - 6, shadow of himself in the first half but came alive a bit as the match went on, some good pace in the early part of the 2nd half. Bit of afters with their goalie I think, again, the Tranny fans went berserk - cue lots of "calm downs" from us!
Macca - 7, and that's based on his 2nd half performance which was very good. Nice to see the variety of a free kick outside the box centered to him to shoot from distance, not seen one of those for ages, shame Dougie overhit the pass, he also had an excellent volley shot which missed only by a little.
Jeff - 6, another who looked a bit of a shadow, played forward more because I guess defensively we were in theory stronger, which seemed to upset the balance.
Moussa - 5, seriously off form, again. Couple of runs, particularly towards the end of the game, but prior to that couldn't pass or control.
Dougie - 5, not a vintage performance and still far too many high balls pumped forward which he could do little with. He needed the ball to feet and wasn't getting it.
Barney - 6, lot of huff and puff, but few chances. Was livid with Scannell for not passing when he was better placed.

Subs:
Scannell for Dougie - 6, looked a threat, Damien though, you HAVE to raise your head and be aware of your team mates when running thru

Officials:
7, decent set, couldn't say anything was poor. Maybe a bit lenient with some Tranmere challenges and some iffy offsides given by the lino

We want ratings for the whole game, not just when he played well. You are so biased towards Macca now, you are getting like that muppet Wiggy who as infatuated with Flahavan!

Yes losing hurts, but by the sound of it (I obviously wasn't there) the players weren't up for it which is worse, ala MK Dons away (LDV).

To be fair to them they have done well despite everything that has been going on, we seem to be a different side away from home though.

From the radio reports -

NO shots on target
NO sustained pressure on Tranny
NO desire

TBH you could have written that script though. The defence was new, the midfield too defensive minded, and Barny playing up top on his own.

Also well done to all those who went, you crazy mofo's :dim:

To be fair to them they have done well despite everything that has been going on, we seem to be a different side away from home though.

IMO that's what makes it worse, the fact that we can play fairly decent at The Hall, yet we go away and we play utter crap. Baffling to say the least

IMO that's what makes it worse, the fact that we can play fairly decent at The Hall, yet we go away and we play utter crap. Baffling to say the least

I think there are a lot of players who are a bit dead on their legs. we have a mini-break now until tuesday so I'd hope Tilly gives the lads a couple of days to rest up. Moussa has really dropped in form, along with Francis (going on match reports)... Grant will have had a rest and so he could come back in with a slight rejig of personale after the Norwich game. I think any points from Norwich and Charlton will be a bonus... the real problem after two tough games is that we start thinking "no wins in 3" and the confidence of the players will drop

no doubt franno is a good player who has a huge amount of potential but thing is he has one good game then a hundred bad ones. and his mistakes usually cost us dearly. his game against gills away was shocking.

think its time to get rid in the summer. be great if he could perform every weke but he just can't. plus i can't understand how his marking is so bad.

From the radio reports -

NO shots on target
NO desire

TBH you could have written that script though. The defence was new, the midfield too defensive minded, and Barny playing up top on his own.

From the OS report, 2 shots on target, 5 off target and 8 corners.

From the radio reports -

NO shots on target
NO desire

We had two on target, one cleared off the line from Morrison, so that sounds crap from the radio!

Subs:

Officials:

Not having a go at you, but according to OS, the following were true:

Tranmere:
Fouls = 16
Yellow Cards = 1

Southend:
Fouls = 5
Yellow Cards = 3

They don't sound that good to me!!

We had two on target, one cleared off the line from Morrison, so that sounds crap from the radio!

Maybe so, i can only go by what i remember hearing, and i remember hearing it was terrible.

2 shots on target against a team bottom of the table, who had only taken 7 points from a possible 24 at home, and who had conceded 17 goals in 8 on The Wirrall sounds proper *****.

Not having a go at you, but according to OS, the following were true:

Tranmere:
Fouls = 16
Yellow Cards = 1

Southend:
Fouls = 5
Yellow Cards = 3

They don't sound that good to me!!

Thing was the ref was letting some of our players - Jeff and Barrett in particular get away with things that I've seen fouls given for. Macca's card actually wasn't a particularly bad challenge but the guy made a meal of it, Barrett's I had no complaints with as it had been coming a while and Laurent's, I don't know - can't remember if that was to do with the GK and why he was getting booed all the time. To be honest, thought Morrison could've had a card for a dreadful two footed lunge.

The reason Macca got a 7 was because he didn't actually do anything wrong in the 1st half and he had a very good 2nd half. Like I said, Jeff returning to a proper CM role rather than helping out defensively seemed to unbalance them. He also had two pretty good only slightly off target strikes - which is more than Barney or Dougie managed. I think the 2 on targets were one from Laurent (lovely ball through from Dougie) and Morrison from a corner.

Back