• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer Fees

At a guess I'd suggest the fees we received for Humphrys, Hutchinson and Kelman wouldn't actually reach the £496,000 we owe the HMRC.

I would Imagine most have sell ons but about:

150k Steve H
150k Bish
150k Hutchinson
300k Kelman

The real value lies in sell ons.

When Hooper got sold we got much more for the sell on than the original sale price.

We have quite a few out there now with sell ons should they move. I think we earned a few quid out of Hayden to Newcastle too.

The boy at man City could be one to watch as well.

Any assumption needs to take into account how much is paid up front at the time of the transfer and how much is in instalments and over what time.

The dreaded Undisclosed fee is a much more modern phenomena thanks to the Premier league in the main. A few clubs buck the trend though.

As fans we understandably all want to know how much we have paid out for X player or sold one like Charlie. We can then have a better debate about it, but there is also something in there about accountability, We are all paying for this whether it be through a TV subscription, match fee or other ways we cough up. Undisclosed deliberately prevents the formation of opinion, the clubs now chicken out of transparency or criticism, even though in the lower leagues our gate money is still keeping the teams afloat

A good old fashioned journalist research will as is often the case , eventually find out the fee.

Wouldnt we want extravagant or plain silly deals to be exposed . There is an ethical perspective here about things being more transparent around fees and Agents pay, to prevent dodgy deals and corner cutting? Desperately trying to keep things quiet often actually stirs the interest?

Premier league clubs finances are actually laid bare every year, gate and match income, merchandise and TV income, Commercial sponsorship are all now widely available, but transfer fees remain hidden

We have for example invested a lot in Charlie and deserve to know the figures, or if our Chief Exec if we had one is being de-bagged?

Honesty could be the best policy in more circumstances ?

Player transfer income is shown in the club accounts when they are published. The last set of accounts published were for the 2017/18 year (season) so we are now two years behind. The 2018/9 accounts taking previous years as the norm should have been published in April 2020.

The income declared in the accounts have been:

2014/15 £115k
2015/16 £1,432k
2016/17 £1,147k
2017/18 £1,215k

This would cover Bentley, Payne, Leonard and a few academy players ( who I don’t know) plus maybe some ancient sell ons.

It doesn’t mean that all that income was received as cash in those years as the account show significant debtors - I guess were clubs pay in instalments over two or three years.

That 7 months is not even accurate as we won several pre-season friendlies, including beating Charlton as part of 6 months unbeaten. I know we need to go and win league games again but it's coming. Five years ago when I looked to the club's future I saw storm clouds gathering, now I seem glimmers of blue.

It's not just hope. The facts show that we are improving in the league game by game. I know how bad things were but I also know that like steering a boat you don't see the results immediately. We're slowly coming back onto the right course. That started last season (well, actually under Powell before injuries cut it short) but we were setback by our late start and latest managerial change. Game by game we are getting closer.

I don't want us to go through what we have been through again and part of that means living within our means and maybe even saving for a rainy day. Come January we'll be able to reassess and create some more wage space by letting McCormack or White go. Maybe some players will have been shown not to be good enough but others might have stepped up.

Keep the faith. The good times are around the corner.
Please don’t tell me you are including meaningless pre-season games against Charlton’s youth team etc. We have won 3 games in 2020 across all competitions - let that sink in.
This season, again, in all competitions we are played 8 lost 6 drawn 2. There are few signs of hope while the spine of the team has done nothing but show us again and again that they are simply not good enough.
We need wholesale changes ASAP and a bunch of 20 year old loanees is not going to cut it. Of course, whether we can afford it is another thing but if we want to stay in the league we are going to have to find some investment and fast.

Player transfer income is shown in the club accounts when they are published. The last set of accounts published were for the 2017/18 year (season) so we are now two years behind. The 2018/9 accounts taking previous years as the norm should have been published in April 2020.

2014/15 £115k
2015/16 £1,432k
2016/17 £1,147k
2017/18 £1,215k

This would cover Bentley, Payne, Leonard and a few academy players ( who I don’t know) plus maybe some ancient sell ons.

It doesn’t mean that all that income was received as cash in those years as the account show significant debtors - I guess were clubs pay in instalments over two or three years.

Great info - thanks.

2014/15 £115k
2015/16 £1,432k
2016/17 £1,147k
2017/18 £1,215k

Very interesting. Given this not inconsiderate income, how on earth have we been left in this financially desperate position?

If you can't run a club on that income on top of the matchday income then something is very badly wrong!

Very interesting. Given this not inconsiderate income, how on earth have we been left in this financially desperate position?

If you can't run a club on that income on top of the matchday income then something is very badly wrong!

It all went in wages for Cox, Kiernan, Kightly, Ferdinand Wordsworth, etc

Does anyone have the inside track on what we received for Bishop, Hutchinson, Humphrys and Kelman?

Bishop - £110k,

Humphrys - £250k

Kelman - £300k

Not sure about an actual fee for Hutch, but I believe it may have been based around lucrative appearance fees. It must have been a decent deal, as Brentford & QPR couldn’t match it

Please don’t tell me you are including meaningless pre-season games against Charlton’s youth team etc. We have won 3 games in 2020 across all competitions - let that sink in.
This season, again, in all competitions we are played 8 lost 6 drawn 2. There are few signs of hope while the spine of the team has done nothing but show us again and again that they are simply not good enough.
We need wholesale changes ASAP and a bunch of 20 year old loanees is not going to cut it. Of course, whether we can afford it is another thing but if we want to stay in the league we are going to have to find some investment and fast.

Again, you are including 6 months where there was no competitive football.

We're 7 games not months without a win (the stupid u23 competition doesn't count).

I'm not keen on a bunch of 20 year old loanees as I'd rather develop our own kids than someone else's (did Sterling offer anything Saturday that Egbri or the released Barratt couldn't have?) but 21 year old loanee Kyle Taylor is possibly our best player. Hopefully the kid from Arsenal is more Taylor than Sterling but we need to be developing our own players who we can then later sell to generate revenue we can then reinvest into the team. When we break that cycle we suffer further down the line.

But what we really need over the next few weeks is some stability. I was therefore surprised by the change in formation. Changing formations, like adding players in will result in a step backwards before any steps forwards and now is the time to be building on the recent steps forwards. Players we add now won't be up to game speed, they won't have the fitness necessary, they won't have the training sessions under MM that the existing players have had, they won't be familiar with the players we currently have.

It’s a worry that despite all the great work Ricky Duncan and others have done, that we’re bringing in PL U-23s. Sadly football is as much about mentality as talent.
Our own young lads came into a losing team, they’ve got used to losing. Nothing breeds confidence more than winning and we can’t seem to buy one...when we go ahead we can’t stay ahead, when we go two down the heads drop. MM clearly was trying something new with the formation but it backfired. I don’t know what the answer is, but a clean sheet and a win is a must .... and soon.

Back