• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
What data?

Do you have a link?
I remember writing a thread on Twitter/X recently (which I’ll copy to my WordPress account if people not on there want to read it), which looked at why it’s important to keep Bridge at LWB. But I genuinely can’t remember writing anything about his individual defensive stats.

Not to say I didn’t, but I honestly can’t remember.

Given that so many of the current bunch now have contracts through to 2026 it would seem there is going to be room for four or five out and four or five in this summer ? If we get those wrong and don't get out next year we'll be pretty much stuck with a squad that won't get out the year after either. Crucial recruitment coming up. We're a play off team just about now so fingers crossed for a step up in quality.
Who knows how good this team could have been this season? It's not just about adding our 10 points we had deducted.

What if we had a proper pre-season?

What if we didn't have a long standing embargo, meaning we could have had a larger squad, more depth, signed some first or second choice whiteboardrs, not played players that were tired or carrying knocks etc.

What if our tiny squad of players weren't playing under such mentally draining and worrying circumstances?

We could have been more than 'just about' a play-off team.

Last edited:
I remember writing a thread on Twitter/X recently (which I’ll copy to my WordPress account if people not on there want to read it), which looked at why it’s important to keep Bridge at LWB. But I genuinely can’t remember writing anything about his individual defensive stats.

Not to say I didn’t, but I honestly can’t remember.
Also direction of travel- I would say he has improved significantly defensively- on the other side just one goal from open play this season? I would suggest there is a trade off there?

Justham is an awful long way down that list too… probably % of shots saved would be better. If there are limited funds (or at least a budget that’s reasonable but not unlimited) why on earth focus on an area that isn’t broken?
But the table isn't exactly equally fair colin on there only played 29, Justham had played 42.

It isn't just the odd one or two that would prefer a different keeper. Yeah he has improved probably enough to be second choice to an experienced keeper. Maher must kind of think that aswell because he wanted to keep Hayes and he wouldn't of been sitting on the bench. At the start of the season Maher wanted to loan him out. It will be interesting in the summer what exactly happens.

I have personally changed my stance and opinion on Collin and I think Kev probably has too. I always thought we needed someone experienced and Justham really fitted the bill. I thought it was imperative that we obtained a new keeper. My views have changed solely based on what I have seen from Collin over the months since his injury.

He was clearly destined for a different journey previously but circumstances have thrown him into this opportunity and he has flourished.

Kev once had Arnie and the Norwich keeper in, which meant Collin was third choice. I always felt that Kev never thought Collin was ready and was always looking for an experienced head.

However, since he has come in, he has improved massively. He was and is, a great shot stopper but he had weaknesses. Those weaknesses have improved immensely. He now comes for crosses and is really strong and commanding. His ball playing style is integral to the way we play and this has improved too.

Additionally, his stats don't lie. The clean sheets are not luck. There are some that don't believe in stats so just simply watching him tells you how good he has become. I've said for several weeks to the lads I go footy with that he is now ahead of the queue for players that could get a big move. He is the modern day keeper that most sides play with. His biggest issue is fitness and maybe mentality to training. I know a few have mentioned that Kev wasn't happy with that previously.

I honestly feel we need to concentrate on other areas of the pitch before worrying about the GK situation. If Collin is our number 1 next season, I'll be happy. I never thought I'd say that. Well done to that man!

The defence is clearly not an area we need to be adding too much to, unless we lose players to L1 clubs. Probably need to add another couple of players in there, esp if they are verisitlle and can play right or left of a 3 and cover the WB role too. 1 experienced voice is important and another “up and comer”. It’s those forward areas which really need looking at…

In terms of clean sheets per game only Woking’s Jääskeläinen is higher (and only slightly) than Collin and Laurie Walker from Barnet has the same percentage of clean sheets. I know that’s not everything but it is at least a measurable metric.

View attachment 31563
I think you might find that the 3 or 4 defenders in front of Collin might say that they made a good contribution to the clean sheet total. Our defence as a whole is better than most in the NL.

been wracking my brain trying to think of the name of the youngster we had on loan here a few seasons back think he came from Arsenal , i wonder what has happened to him, sure his name began with O ,thought he had potential to go higher

been wracking my brain trying to think of the name of the youngster we had on loan here a few seasons back think he came from Arsenal , i wonder what has happened to him, sure his name began with O ,thought he had potential to go higher
James Olayinka?

Now at Cheltenham. Not sure if he's a regular starter there at the moment though.

charlie ruffs name keeps being mentioned The only question i have is its all well and good scoring plenty for chelmsford .But is he a part time player .If so what says he would cut it as a full time pro . There has been some saying the part time players we have brought in are not good enough .So would ruff be good enough as well .Just a question not a moan .

charlie ruffs name keeps being mentioned The only question i have is its all well and good scoring plenty for chelmsford .But is he a part time player .If so what says he would cut it as a full time pro . There has been some saying the part time players we have brought in are not good enough .So would ruff be good enough as well .Just a question not a moan .

I have seen Charlie Ruff a few times this season. Although IMO he is not as skillful as Wes or Noor the big difference is that he scores goals which is what we desperately need if we are going to challenge for promotion next season. He often makes runs beyond the front two which I have never seen Wes or Noor do.

I have seen Charlie Ruff a few times this season. Although IMO he is not as skillful as Wes or Noor the big difference is that he scores goals which is what we desperately need if we are going to challenge for promotion next season. He often makes runs beyond the front two which I have never seen Wes or Noor do.
Tbh I think the attacking midfielder position is so important that, along with another striker, I would put the boat out. Bring in a couple of proven additions. If we bring in 6and two fit this criteria and the other the up and coming specials then fine.
Jack Payne or Olayinka would fit the bill.

Love the goal celebration tweets they send out. Looks like he’s a joker too so could fit in with our dressing room atmosphere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back