• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say we need a left wing back and two strikers what with Dackers and Sandat's loans ending and cover for Bridge. There has been times this season where his been tired, carried an injury or had a dip in form and there's not really been any option. I know Ralph can always play there but ideally he's in the left of that back three.

Now that Coker is providing an attacking threat for us, I don't think there needs to change in what seems to be quite a congested midfield. We already have players like Wood with supposedly bags of potential no getting a look it and as we've seen there's little to no point signing any wide players because they won't get used in a way that suits them.

Also depending on what Martin and Demetriou do, a goalkeeper and a right back. So possibly five players but really, a majority of our efforts should be in finding those two strikers to take some burden off Cardwell.

edit: Maybe only one. I forgot about Powell.

Collectively we need 4 strikers who will get 40-50 between them to ensure we are promoted. We are currently missing that and I don’t think Sandat, dackers or Powell will be those players to do this. Therefore we need 2 new strikers alongside Cardwell and Waldron.

In midfield, we have a number of the same type of players and in my mind we need a couple more who offer more creativity/attacking threat/ goals. All the top teams have midfielders who reach 10 goals if not more. Who knows if Wes will be still here next season either.

Elsewhere, I agree we could do with another wingback to cover and provide competition and maybe another centre back as we know we do get a number of injuries there across the season.

Overall, we need a slightly larger squad that offers a bit more quality and improves the bench strength especially against the top teams we will face.

Collectively we need 4 strikers who will get 40-50 between them to ensure we are promoted. We are currently missing that and I don’t think Sandat, dackers or Powell will be those players to do this. Therefore we need 2 new strikers alongside Cardwell and Waldron.

In midfield, we have a number of the same type of players and in my mind we need a couple more who offer more creativity/attacking threat/ goals. All the top teams have midfielders who reach 10 goals if not more. Who knows if Wes will be still here next season either.

Elsewhere, I agree we could do with another wingback to cover and provide competition and maybe another centre back as we know we do get a number of injuries there across the season.

Overall, we need a slightly larger squad that offers a bit more quality and improves the bench strength especially against the top teams we will face.

So do we but we need them this season! Our strikers are working hard but just not scoring hence all the 1-1 draws we keep getting, if FGR and Sutton continue with their better runs we are coming down to join you folks next season. Hollywood come to town next Saturday, the ground is almost sold out but I bet a big percentage of the crowd have no interest in football, it would be funny if the owners didn't turn up!

I wonder if someone like that might be a good signing as a depth piece: offering something different from the bench. Not everyone you sign needs to be a starter. We definitely need more game changers from the bench.
I thought this yesterday, he seemed the closest fit to a Bridge backup I can recall seeing this season.

Liam Vincent's contract is expiring in the summer. Portsmouth left-back/midfielder, but been on loan at Worthing and Tonbridge recently. Could be an interesting back up for Bridge.

Sorry for the long post, but this is what I’d like to see happen in the summer (and what I’ll use as the basis for my recruitment plan once the season’s finished):

I personally think Collin has done enough to be the #1 next season, so we’re probably good in goal (especially if Martin continues his player-coach role).

Although we have good depth across the back-three, I’d like us to sign a proper, left-footed back-up for Ralph. Someone who can replicate what he offers in the final-third, too, in terms of his overlapping runs. Probably looking at U23 options.

Although we have no proper back-up for Bridge, Ralph can cover him, which makes a LCB cover even more important. I’d like three options for these two positions, and if the LCB back-up can also cover Bridge, then even better. I identified Spennymoor’s Reece Staunton as my #1 suggestion in January.

If GSM leaves, obviously he’d need replacing, but hopefully he signs a new contract. Assuming he stays, I’d like a young back-up option to come in, especially if Demetriou doesn’t continue playing. I’m not sure it’s wise to have someone who can play either wing-back role, as they have different tactical requirements (e.g. if we switch to a back-four mid-match).

Obviously we need strengthening up-front. I think we need a target-man who can also press, and obviously score goals at this level (like Cardwell). I think this is the one role that we should try and put the most resources into.

Secondly, I’d like a second-striker or #10, who can drop deeper to link the play, but also score goals in our front-two. I identified Chelmsford’s Charlie Ruff as a potential option here in January.

Finally, it may be wise to look to bring in a midfielder who can help to strengthen our right-side in attack (we’re not going to achieve this through a change of formation). Although, it’s not essential as we already create a lot of chances (so we need to focus more on finishing).

The fact that Fonguck (our most creative central-midfielder) has almost exclusively been used in the left-sided #8 role does, in my opinion, contribute to our over-reliance on our left-side, although I’m a big fan and have highlighted his importance a number of times. Perhaps a similar profile who can play as either the left or right-sided #8 would help us (although I suggested using Fonguck on the right recently, and he seemed to play there after being brought on yesterday, so I may have to re-assess). Ebbsfleet’s Toby Edser, who I identified in December, would be my first-choice suggestion here.

Sorry for the long post, but this is what I’d like to see happen in the summer (and what I’ll use as the basis for my recruitment plan once the season’s finished):

I personally think Collin has done enough to be the #1 next season, so we’re probably good in goal (especially if Martin continues his player-coach role).

Although we have good depth across the back-three, I’d like us to sign a proper, left-footed back-up for Ralph. Someone who can replicate what he offers in the final-third, too, in terms of his overlapping runs. Probably looking at U23 options.

Although we have no proper back-up for Bridge, Ralph can cover him, which makes a LCB cover even more important. I’d like three options for these two positions, and if the LCB back-up can also cover Bridge, then even better. I identified Spennymoor’s Reece Staunton as my #1 suggestion in January.

If GSM leaves, obviously he’d need replacing, but hopefully he signs a new contract. Assuming he stays, I’d like a young back-up option to come in, especially if Demetriou doesn’t continue playing. I’m not sure it’s wise to have someone who can play either wing-back role, as they have different tactical requirements (e.g. if we switch to a back-four mid-match).

Obviously we need strengthening up-front. I think we need a target-man who can also press, and obviously score goals at this level (like Cardwell). I think this is the one role that we should try and put the most resources into.

Secondly, I’d like a second-striker or #10, who can drop deeper to link the play, but also score goals in our front-two. I identified Chelmsford’s Charlie Ruff as a potential option here in January.

Finally, it may be wise to look to bring in a midfielder who can help to strengthen our right-side in attack (we’re not going to achieve this through a change of formation). Although, it’s not essential as we already create a lot of chances (so we need to focus more on finishing).

The fact that Fonguck (our most creative central-midfielder) has almost exclusively been used in the left-sided #8 role does, in my opinion, contribute to our over-reliance on our left-side, although I’m a big fan and have highlighted his importance a number of times. Perhaps a similar profile who can play as either the left or right-sided #8 would help us (although I suggested using Fonguck on the right recently, and he seemed to play there after being brought on yesterday, so I may have to re-assess). Ebbsfleet’s Toby Edser, who I identified in December, would be my first-choice suggestion here.
Edser looks good but scores few and has even fewer assists. We've had those players before

Edser looks good but scores few and has even fewer assists. We've had those players before
This season, true, although he’s been playing for a struggling side. That’s one of the reasons why it’s important to look past just goal and assist stats when recruiting players (as ironic as that may seem, coming from me!).

Everything I’ve seen of Edser tells me that he’d fit in very well here, whilst also giving us different qualities that we don’t currently have in central-midfield. Of the three names that I’ve mentioned, he’s the one I have the most confidence in, if he were signed, being a success here.

This season, true, although he’s been playing for a struggling side. That’s one of the reasons why it’s important to look past just goal and assist stats when recruiting players (as ironic as that may seem, coming from me!).

Everything I’ve seen of Edser tells me that he’d fit in very well here, whilst also giving us different qualities that we don’t currently have in central-midfield. Of the three names that I’ve mentioned, he’s the one I have the most confidence in, if he were signed, being a success here.

Quite like to get your thoughts on AFC Flyde’s Nick Haughton, as he scores a lot of goals from an attacking midifield role ?

Quite like to get your thoughts on AFC Flyde’s Nick Haughton, as he scores a lot of goals from an attacking midifield role ?
Haughton is a very Northern based lad and though his age might bring some handy experience, I don't think he's likely to be doing the business for long, especially if we were to go up next season. He has found his level and doing a good job at it but, can he kick on again, moving south, and at 30 shortly after the new season starts?

The thing that concerns me a little about your list, is there are another two players playing for teams in the leagues below. As we've seen with Morton and Waldron, it takes a long time to get up to speed. It also took Powell and Husin a while too. Crowther, Morton and Waldron will still be bedding in over the summer and if we add even more players who aren't up to the physical challenge yet, it will take longer to adjust as a team.

I do understand that our recruitment is different from the past and I'm all in favour of that. However, I still think we need a few experienced players at this level to come in. Experienced doesn't necessarily mean older either, just someone that is used to full-time football and is used to playing at this level.

I kept calling for Josh Rees in the summer and plenty of fans said no because of his age, which I get because of the new regime. I do think he would have complimented that gap between midfield and attack perfectly this season though. He's had a great season for an average daggers side. It's that type of player we need, whether they are 30 or not. One or two are fine. I'm sure plenty of fans would be happy with McCallum and his age wouldn't come into it. If we can add that type of player along with names you suggest, then there isn't a problem. If we only add players from the leagues below, we'll find promotion a lot trickier.

The thing that concerns me a little about your list, is there are another two players playing for teams in the leagues below. As we've seen with Morton and Waldron, it takes a long time to get up to speed. It also took Powell and Husin a while too. Crowther, Morton and Waldron will still be bedding in over the summer and if we add even more players who aren't up to the physical challenge yet, it will take longer to adjust as a team.

I do understand that our recruitment is different from the past and I'm all in favour of that. However, I still think we need a few experienced players at this level to come in. Experienced doesn't necessarily mean older either, just someone that is used to full-time football and is used to playing at this level.

I kept calling for Josh Rees in the summer and plenty of fans said no because of his age, which I get because of the new regime. I do think he would have complimented that gap between midfield and attack perfectly this season though. He's had a great season for an average daggers side. It's that type of player we need, whether they are 30 or not. One or two are fine. I'm sure plenty of fans would be happy with McCallum and his age wouldn't come into it. If we can add that type of player along with names you suggest, then there isn't a problem. If we only add players from the leagues below, we'll find promotion a lot trickier.
That’s a very fair point!

With regards to Staunton and the RWB cover from my list (though I haven’t suggested a name, yet), the reason I’d be less concerned about them coming from a lower division is because, as younger back-up options, they won’t be playing an awful lot to begin with. They’d therefore be afforded the time to develop, and wouldn’t need to be performing straight away. That’s also one benefit about recruiting from lower down the pyramid in the close-season as opposed to mid-season.

And I completely understand the concern about Ruff’s part-time status. My thinking is: with Cardwell, another proven #9 at this level, and Waldron (who would’ve been here for six months by the time next season starts), again, there’d be less pressure on him to perform straight away, as we’d have good depth up-front.

Every signing has potential risks, and of course it’s a risk signing players from lower down the pyramid. But I think it’s about mitigating these risks by having adequate depth across the pitch, so there’s not too much pressure on these players to perform straight away.

Every player will also handle the step-up differently, and that’s where a top scout will be able to identify who can handle it, and who can’t; it’s one of the reasons our recruitment has been top-drawer across the past couple of seasons.

I wonder if Jaden Crowhurst is coming back. Obviously he left due to the embargo last summer. Might be the RWB cover we need?
I've said this before and it always seems to conjure up a negative response regarding signing former players. But the truth is he was a prospect we couldn't keep because we wasn't allowed to offer anyone a contract...

edit: and I hope we do bring him back.

Last edited:
I wonder if someone like that might be a good signing as a depth piece: offering something different from the bench. Not everyone you sign needs to be a starter. We definitely need more game changers from the bench.
I just feel and it's just me, that with 89 appearances for Grimsby and BW, mainly all at this level, compared with 28 appearances over previous 4 years ('17 -'21) at league level, Accrington and Tranmere (loan) and Barrow, including loans below this level where he either hasn't held a place down at that level, for me demonstrates at 29 he is not a player that would immediately benefit us in any way, or have enough effective time left at the peak of his career that we could develop improve and show any positive impact and no chance of a return in investment.

He was OK yesterday, but nothing more and there are far better players that our scouting department will find.

Just my view though.

Last edited:
I just feel and it's just me, that with 89 appearances for Grimsby and BW, mainly all at this level, compared with 28 appearances over the previous 4 years ('17 -'21) at league level, Accrington and Tranmere (loan) and Barrow, including loans below this level where he either hasn't held a place down at that level, for me demonstrates at 29 he is not a player that would immediately benefit us in any way, or have enough effective time left at the peak of his career that we could develop improve and show any positive impact and no chance of a return in investment.

He was OK yesterday, but nothing more and there are far better players that our scouting department will find.

Just my view though.
He made 23 starts for Boreham Wood last season when they reached the playoffs and 27 starts the season before that for Grimsby before then starting all three playoff games (when they knocked out Notts County, Wrexham and then Solihull).

For a depth piece isn’t that what we are after? He’d basically be a better Mauro Vilhete.

He made 23 starts for Boreham Wood last season when they reached the playoffs and 27 starts the season before that for Grimsby before then starting all three playoff games (when they knocked out Notts County, Wrexham and then Solihull).

For a depth piece isn’t that what we are after? He’d basically be a better Mauro Vilhete.

We're simply not going to agree on him, it happens. :Smile:

His level is clearly where he is at, because if he made 27 appearances with Grimsby in their promotion season, once they went up made another 6 in L2, before being released.

He has made 56 appearances for BW, so the majority of his performances in England have been at this level or lower. (31 appearances across 6 clubs, half of those below the NL).

I agree he'd be better than Mauro Vilhete, but Vilhete was clearly a stop gap when we were desperate and we hopefully won't be in that position again soon fingers crossed and should set our sights far higher imo.

Obviously, the main opinion will be JS and the scouting team initially and then Kev's is the opinion that matters. But I'd be disappointed if he rocked up here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back