• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're simply not going to agree on him, it happens. :Smile:

His level is clearly where he is at, because if he made 27 appearances with Grimsby in their promotion season, once they went up made another 6 in L2, before being released.

He has made 56 appearances for BW, so the majority of his performances in England have been at this level or lower. (31 appearances across 6 clubs, half of those below the NL).

I agree he'd be better than Mauro Vilhete, but Vilhete was clearly a stop gap when we were desperate and we hopefully won't be in that position again soon fingers crossed and should set our sights far higher imo.

Obviously, the main opinion will be JS and the scouting team initially and then Kev's is the opinion that matters. But I'd be disappointed if he rocked up here.
I don’t think you are going to get L1 or L2 calibre players come here to warm the bench so how are you going to build your depth?

That’s a very fair point!

With regards to Staunton and the RWB cover from my list (though I haven’t suggested a name, yet), the reason I’d be less concerned about them coming from a lower division is because, as younger back-up options, they won’t be playing an awful lot to begin with. They’d therefore be afforded the time to develop, and wouldn’t need to be performing straight away. That’s also one benefit about recruiting from lower down the pyramid in the close-season as opposed to mid-season.

And I completely understand the concern about Ruff’s part-time status. My thinking is: with Cardwell, another proven #9 at this level, and Waldron (who would’ve been here for six months by the time next season starts), again, there’d be less pressure on him to perform straight away, as we’d have good depth up-front.

Every signing has potential risks, and of course it’s a risk signing players from lower down the pyramid. But I think it’s about mitigating these risks by having adequate depth across the pitch, so there’s not too much pressure on these players to perform straight away.

Every player will also handle the step-up differently, and that’s where a top scout will be able to identify who can handle it, and who can’t; it’s one of the reasons our recruitment has been top-drawer across the past couple of seasons.
I think bring in a proven performer at this level even at 30 works if balanced by younger prospects on the up as it were.
Josh Rees has scored 16 so far this season from CM.

I don’t think you are going to get L1 or L2 calibre players come here to warm the bench so how are you going to build your depth?
I'm not expecting L1 calibre players, as I said in my first post on him, I don't think he has the potential to develop into a player good enough for the EFL, especially having tried and failed on several occasions now.

However, we have players here now that have, can and will.

Josh Rees is a good shout, But i still believe Coker will become a very good goal scoring midfielder, hes young and improving all the time ,still inexperienced remember this . Sad to say but what is going on with Wood that he cannot get minutes ,preseason i remember he scored a hattrick in a friendly and that goal he scored not long back was a beauty the way he collected the ball ran at the defenders and scored . Showed a lot of ability .

Sorry for the long post, but this is what I’d like to see happen in the summer (and what I’ll use as the basis for my recruitment plan once the season’s finished):

I personally think Collin has done enough to be the #1 next season, so we’re probably good in goal (especially if Martin continues his player-coach role).

Although we have good depth across the back-three, I’d like us to sign a proper, left-footed back-up for Ralph. Someone who can replicate what he offers in the final-third, too, in terms of his overlapping runs. Probably looking at U23 options.

Although we have no proper back-up for Bridge, Ralph can cover him, which makes a LCB cover even more important. I’d like three options for these two positions, and if the LCB back-up can also cover Bridge, then even better. I identified Spennymoor’s Reece Staunton as my #1 suggestion in January.

If GSM leaves, obviously he’d need replacing, but hopefully he signs a new contract. Assuming he stays, I’d like a young back-up option to come in, especially if Demetriou doesn’t continue playing. I’m not sure it’s wise to have someone who can play either wing-back role, as they have different tactical requirements (e.g. if we switch to a back-four mid-match).

Obviously we need strengthening up-front. I think we need a target-man who can also press, and obviously score goals at this level (like Cardwell). I think this is the one role that we should try and put the most resources into.

Secondly, I’d like a second-striker or #10, who can drop deeper to link the play, but also score goals in our front-two. I identified Chelmsford’s Charlie Ruff as a potential option here in January.

Finally, it may be wise to look to bring in a midfielder who can help to strengthen our right-side in attack (we’re not going to achieve this through a change of formation). Although, it’s not essential as we already create a lot of chances (so we need to focus more on finishing).

The fact that Fonguck (our most creative central-midfielder) has almost exclusively been used in the left-sided #8 role does, in my opinion, contribute to our over-reliance on our left-side, although I’m a big fan and have highlighted his importance a number of times. Perhaps a similar profile who can play as either the left or right-sided #8 would help us (although I suggested using Fonguck on the right recently, and he seemed to play there after being brought on yesterday, so I may have to re-assess). Ebbsfleet’s Toby Edser, who I identified in December, would be my first-choice suggestion here.
I really like your recommendation concerning Reece Staunton. He looks like a great prospect who can play left-back, left centre-back or even left-midfield and is reportedly a very competitive player with a good passing range. I think this is exactly the sort of player Southend should be chasing when planning for next season.

Actual positions are such a weird thing to fixate on - for so many reasons:

Players evolve over their careers. Nathan Ralph for example was a winger. Che Wilson would tell you his best position was centre-midfield.

Positions change as tactics evolve. Ten years ago there was no such thing as a false winger or raumdeuter.

Players move during a game- tactics aren't fixed. As long as you can control a ball, pass a ball and play to your best ability you should do well in whatever position you start in.

Jack Bridge used to swap wings just to give the oppo something to think about. This season it has been easier for them to deal with as it can be too regimented. Some have even used it against us and scored goals down our left

On Monday he drifted in and as you say controlled the ball and buried the 3rd goal from an unmarked slot on our right.

Jack Bridge used to swap wings just to give the oppo something to think about. This season it has been easier for them to deal with as it can be too regimented. Some have even used it against us and scored goals down our left

On Monday he drifted in and as you say controlled the ball and buried the 3rd goal from an unmarked slot on our right.
The goal showed the benefit of concentrating more down the right- Jack can deliver goals and his 2 from open play this year isn’t because something has changed with his finishing but because he has been pinned to the left touch line, and our over reliance down the left meaning teams set up to defend against it and the space is restricted

The goal showed the benefit of concentrating more down the right- Jack can deliver goals and his 2 from open play this year isn’t because something has changed with his finishing but because he has been pinned to the left touch line, and our over reliance down the left meaning teams set up to defend against it and the space is restricted
Which leaves a gap for GSM to exploit

On Monday one player did impress me was the Boring Wood right back, Cameron Coxe.

Did have a spell up the A12 so knows the area.

Could be worth a shout if GSM decides his future is in the EFL?

Has anyone heard anything regarding Gus for he’s future hopefully he be with us for couple more years at least . And if anyone knows it talks are ongoing for new deal potentially ?

Actual positions are such a weird thing to fixate on - for so many reasons:

Players evolve over their careers. Nathan Ralph for example was a winger. Che Wilson would tell you his best position was centre-midfield.

Positions change as tactics evolve. Ten years ago there was no such thing as a false winger or raumdeuter.

Players move during a game- tactics aren't fixed. As long as you can control a ball, pass a ball and play to your best ability you should do well in whatever position you start in.
Yes a good point.
However I'd add that there are players whose physically, skill and mentality are better at operating in certain positions.

For example why do we play Collin in goal and not upfront? Why is bridge not played at right back? What about Miley for left wing ? Cardwell for centre defence?

These 3 things all count. It's why (as per the report) Gus is not the best attacking right winger when we move forward because he doesn't take his man on nor have the skill to do so which is why the wing back model has it's challenges despite the ability to move players around in game.

It does beg the question though why bother with any formation? Perhaps there are in the knows on this?

442 was always the go to because it's a square pitch and the most natural formation to cover all parts of the pitch in pairs. If players move around so much depending on transition why not have 442 every game and the players focus on playing where they need to? Ie 532 in defence, 424 in attack, 433 in press?

Surely then skill mentality and physicality is an important dimension? You wouldn't start with coker dropping into CD to form a back 3 for example?

Musings !

One thing Stan mentioned when the coaching structure was put in place, was that Kev, Currie and Benno get the final say over signings, also who gets picked which is how it should be. Been reading all the Wood posts and am aware that I’ve often said I didn’t understand why he’d not been given more chances. That was a genuine query (mainly aired when we weren’t scoring much) and what do I know, I’m just a fan. I guess..point being..do we trust these guys? Personally yes I do. They’ve done amazing in the circumstances.

It’s a bit daft .. 13 unbeaten and we’re saying “why isn’t so and so being picked”. Whether we all agree with Kev’s tactics we’re building a clear identity and team spirit and I’m sure JW accepts that, he seems to..he doesn’t seem to have the arse about it. Competition for places is healthy. With any luck we’ll be having lots more of these debates next season ..

If Borehamwood go down, which is starting to look like a possibility, I wonder how many clubs would be looking at one or two of their players. Tshimanga for example.

He is on loan from Peterborough so he is not Borehamwood’s. And he hasn’t really done much since returning from his broken leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back