• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't want either Olayinka or Brunt back at the club. They both gave us memories of their abilities when they were here first time round, but very seldom does going back work. Kev and Co know who they would like to bring in to fit the current model and I would doubt whether either of those two would fit the mix.

Word is we have been coming along to Roots hall in order to have a look at Scott-Morriss, I don’t know if we are interested in bidding for him though.

As it stands, on Wednesday 1st May at 07:47, we do not have any bids on the table for any of our players, nor have we had any so far.

That’s not to say we won’t have bids, I think we are expecting bids, but most of our assets are under contract so will take a decent bid for us to consider it.

See Josh Umerah has been released by Hartlepool. Pretty sure we were in for him before he joined them, didn’t play from March due to an injury and couldn’t get in ahead of Diereersve (or whatever his name is).

Chris Wreh also been released, surely he will go to Tamworth?

Watched a bit of the Barnet v Hartlepool game right at the start of the season. As I thought they both might be our rivals for top 3 spaces behind Chesterfield.

I could see then that Wreh would be released in May.

Who knows, I haven’t seen him kick a ball since his loan spell here in what 2020/2021?

He is a different type of player to Brunt, so it’s unfair to judge them like that.

As for Olayinka, he played a total of 442 minutes across 15 appearances this season, 11 of them in the league. Was he injured? Out of favour? Not picked? Suspended for parts? Is 442 minutes worth of appearances for a relegated Cheltenham a statement signing?
Not sure his approach to teamwork is what the amigo's would look for. Bit of an attitude in training etc ...

Who knows, I haven’t seen him kick a ball since his loan spell here in what 2020/2021?

He is a different type of player to Brunt, so it’s unfair to judge them like that.

As for Olayinka, he played a total of 442 minutes across 15 appearances this season, 11 of them in the league. Was he injured? Out of favour? Not picked? Suspended for parts? Is 442 minutes worth of appearances for a relegated Cheltenham a statement signing?
4-4-2 eh?

As it stands, on Wednesday 1st May at 07:47, we do not have any bids on the table for any of our players, nor have we had any so far.

That’s not to say we won’t have bids, I think we are expecting bids, but most of our assets are under contract so will take a decent bid for us to consider it.

What about now?

If Coker can keep developing as he has done under the Amigos then he can be that attacking centre mid but we could do with some more depth in that area and maybe some pace- our options off the bench this season have been quite limited.

Not sure his approach to teamwork is what the amigo's would look for. Bit of an attitude in training etc ...
really dissapointing to hear. thought him and Kyle Taylor were one of the only shining lights of that season so dissapointing to hear he wasn't a good egg behind the scenes.

Not saying I would go for Olayinka but realistically someone playing regularly in L1 is very unlikely to be coming here…regrettably

If we get someone from L1 they will either be young, with potential but not playing sufficient /many games.

Or someone older but less than 30 who is not getting game time as they have fallen out of favour or due to injuries (in which case why would another L1 or L2 club not want them)

Or someone over 30 who is happy dropping down for regular football- maybe with a connection to the area.

Probably the first and last options will be the only affordable ones. Olayinka falls into the second I think?

We definitely need some experience in the squad next year and the best place to get that is in goal. Assuming we lose Collin which I assume we do. A Steve Arnold type character would be brilliant!

We definitely need some experience in the squad next year and the best place to get that is in goal. Assuming we lose Collin which I assume we do. A Steve Arnold type character would be brilliant!
I think arguably the younger less experienced keepers really step up at this level. Two of the best keepers in the league last year were Collin and Male (Dorking).

I think arguably the younger less experienced keepers really step up at this level. Two of the best keepers in the league last year were Collin and Male (Dorking).
Yeah very true. I even like the look of that walker from Barnet that's been released! Not sure he likes us tho! Just feel we need a player that's been promoted from this level to guide the boys a bit.

Yeah very true. I even like the look of that walker from Barnet that's been released! Not sure he likes us tho! Just feel we need a player that's been promoted from this level to guide the boys a bit.
The reason Laurie Walker was released from Barnet was he couldn't adapt to the sweeper keeper role Brennan wants to adopt.

So a keep well clear label for us too.

If we had to look for a replacement 'keeper, I'd consider Ethan Ross from Altrincham.

Good age, plenty of experience at this level, good height 6' 5''.

originates from Enfield, so we'd have a chance of enticing him back down South and had a good season with Atly.

Ethan Ross would be an excellent signing IMO still one of my favourite goalkeepers in the league after the banter at the Alty away game this season

A lot of our players have reached or about to reach 100 games. In my world they are experienced, just not vastly experienced. We had 2 very experienced players in Murphy and Hyde and that didn't work. Experience was never a rip roaring success with Phil Brown, so I will settle for whatever the current management team want.

Things have moved on so much in our recruitment department that we don’t need our management team to have links with a player to look at them.

Not saying Olayinka is or isn’t on the whiteboard, but just because his path hasn’t crossed with our management team doesn’t mean we wouldn’t be aware of him.

I wouldn't want to see Olayinka back at Southend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back