• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ollie Pearce has the same agent as GSM, Powell, Jake Hyde and Steve Arnold, so obviously well known to us. Just hope we haven't ****ed them off in the past...

All that aside though, I wouldn't imagine COSU are in a position to be bringing in players right now. Certainly not until the sale is complete. I just hope it is done in time to actually allow Kev to shop in Waitrose for his top targets. Because we aren't going to have a better opportunity of getting out of this division (the right way) than next season.

Not a shock to read this (if true).

It was way more of a shock when it was suggested to me a few weeks back that we were not seriously looking at him.

We'd have been absolutely insane not to be.

Lots of people saw him properly for the first time on TV yesterday, where he played a blinder. I've been actively seeking out his goals and highlights all season, and he is something else. A potential Langstaff repeat, if he were 2 or 3 years younger.

40+ goals this season, and 25-ish in each of the two seasons before, so definitely not a flash in the pan either.
Haaland of non league, yes please 🙏

Who else would Ollie Pearce want to sign for in this league.
He may be coming up to 29, but you can’t put his experience into a up and coming youngster.
If this signing does happen, the consortium are making a statement of intent this coming season. 👍 COYB’s

Who else would Ollie Pearce want to sign for in this league.
He may be coming up to 29, but you can’t put his experience into a up and coming youngster.
If this signing does happen, the consortium are making a statement of intent this coming season. 👍 COYB’s
Rumours Daggers are interested, in addition to York, where his former Worthing manager recently went.

Ollie Pearce has the same agent as GSM, Powell, Jake Hyde and Steve Arnold, so obviously well known to us. Just hope we haven't ****ed them off in the past...

All that aside though, I wouldn't imagine COSU are in a position to be bringing in players right now. Certainly not until the sale is complete. I just hope it is done in time to actually allow Kev to shop in Waitrose for his top targets. Because we aren't going to have a better opportunity of getting out of this division (the right way) than next season.
Not expecting this to be an issue as things stand, mate. Even if the sale doesn't quite get over the line in May as hoped, I expect things to continue as normal/planned in terms of transfer business, unless something really drastic changes for the worse.

Always tickles me that no matter what the makeup of our squad, people just want to sign a goal scorer. We've got Cardwell who may be on his way, but has shown he can score well in this league. We've got Waldron, who was signed as someone to score goals, and has shown he could probably do just that. Surely what we need now is players to provide these guys with chances, so they can score goals. Unless the tactic for next year is to get the ball to Jack Bridge?

Always tickles me that no matter what the makeup of our squad, people just want to sign a goal scorer. We've got Cardwell who may be on his way, but has shown he can score well in this league. We've got Waldron, who was signed as someone to score goals, and has shown he could probably do just that. Surely what we need now is players to provide these guys with chances, so they can score goals. Unless the tactic for next year is to get the ball to Jack Bridge?
I think data analysis has shown that our problem is finishing, not chance creation.

We were right up towards the very top of the division in terms of chances created and I believe that whilst we scored 70 goals, our expected goals figure (based on quality of chances created) was 86.

The excellent @ShrimperStats can probably elaborate!

I think data analysis has shown that our problem is finishing, not chance creation.

We were right up towards the very top of the division in terms of chances created and I believe that whilst we scored 70 goals, our expected goals figure (based on quality of chances created) was 86.

The excellent @ShrimperStats can probably elaborate!

Yes our finishing could improve but stats can't work out the quality of the chance created.

Remember when Cardwell burst past the right back over in the South West corner. Then crossed first time for a Waldron finish. If he had cut in then provided a a soft side foot of a cross (as we often do). Then the defenders cut out more than 50% of those and can do enough on the next 30%.

People should watch our first goal away at Dagenham. That should remind them of the benefits of quick no fuss break over the too many touches break.

We need both.

Yes our finishing could improve but stats can't work out the quality of the chance created.

Remember when Cardwell burst past the right back over in the South West corner. Then crossed first time for a Waldron finish. If he had cut in then provided a a soft side foot of a cross (as we often do). Then the defenders cut out more than 50% of those and can do enough on the next 30%.

People should watch our first goal away at Dagenham. That should remind them of the benefits of quick no fuss break over the too many touches break.
Expected Goals (xG) takes into account the quality of the chance. I have no idea if anyone tracks that at our level though (probably not).

Without knowing the retained list, we currently have two strikers under contract for next season, Cardwell & Waldron.

We most certainly do need more strikers. Worst ways I’d be looking at 2, ideal world I’d like 3.

Plus, you even put a question mark over whether Cardwell is here next season. If you go worst case scenario, and we lose him, we have one centre forward.

Whether we can bring in McCallum and/or Pearce is another story, but we 100% need to be looking upfront this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back