• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread (Potential New Signings)

Isn’t this a rumours thread, so it’s kind of the point?!?

Do you turn up to matches and tell everyone they’re wasting their time and just watch final score at 4:50 to find out the result?

Hardly a rumour. Been posted on the echo website that Josh Wright is training with us.
There is a difference between a rumour and people begging to be pm'd a name.

Rumours are usually just a load of made up tosh, we all know that

Let's see if he ticks all the boxes. Blonde hair(We need a blonde)...Tick...Creative...Vocal...Tough tackler...Under 30...Fast...Stamina...Goals...Err,, Can take a throw in...Tick. Oh dear.

There have been times in the past when we have had managers and/or their scouting and coaching teams who have had an instinctive eye for spotting, recruiting and developing players that brought our club its greatest successes. Think back to David Webb's first spell in charge: Paul Sansome, Dean Austin, Chris Powell, Andy Ansah, Pat Scully, Steve Tilson etc recruited on frees or for peanuts from non-league or reserve teams in higher leagues; Simon Royce, Andy Edwards, Spencer Prior etc developed at the club. Barry Fry, Steve Tilson and even Colin Murphy (Stan Collymore) made some inspired signings. Paul Sturrock built a more-than-acceptable squad for next-to-no money from ground zero. Not only did those managers from the past bring us success on the pitch but they kept us alive financially by selling on some of the players that they signed and developed for enormous profits. Sadly, our most recent managers, including the present one, seem not to possess that kind of 'nous' and I'm sure that our current chairman lacks a similar 'nous' for spotting the right manager.

There have been times in the past when we have had managers and/or their scouting and coaching teams who have had an instinctive eye for spotting, recruiting and developing players that brought our club its greatest successes. Think back to David Webb's first spell in charge: Paul Sansome, Dean Austin, Chris Powell, Andy Ansah, Pat Scully, Steve Tilson etc recruited on frees or for peanuts from non-league or reserve teams in higher leagues; Simon Royce, Andy Edwards, Spencer Prior etc developed at the club. Barry Fry, Steve Tilson and even Colin Murphy (Stan Collymore) made some inspired signings. Paul Sturrock built a more-than-acceptable squad for next-to-no money from ground zero. Not only did those managers from the past bring us success on the pitch but they kept us alive financially by selling on some of the players that they signed and developed for enormous profits. Sadly, our most recent managers, including the present one, seem not to possess that kind of 'nous' and I'm sure that our current chairman lacks a similar 'nous' for spotting the right manager.
Chris Powell was the closest we’ve had of late to a manager who could spot a player. The signings of Mantom and Hyam weren’t great, but he also signed Humphrys and Hopper who were both excellent for us and both sold for fees.

Chris Powell was the closest we’ve had of late to a manager who could spot a player. The signings of Mantom and Hyam weren’t great, but he also signed Humphrys and Hopper who were both excellent for us and both sold for fees.
As you say they turned out to be dreadful signings however at the time when we signed them I was pretty happy with that business.

As you say they turned out to be dreadful signings however at the time when we signed them I was pretty happy with that business.
Very true in fairness. I was too. Powell also signed Sam Barratt who in hindsight, should’ve been retained!

In fact, the list gets longer. You can add Ladapo, Moore and Hart to that list too. Such a shame we had such an injury crisis under Powell. I really wish he was still here.

Very true in fairness. I was too. Powell also signed Sam Barratt who in hindsight, should’ve been retained!

In fact, the list gets longer. You can add Ladapo, Moore and Hart to that list too. Such a shame we had such an injury crisis under Powell. I really wish he was still here.
...or at least, the ending wasnt so bitter for such a club legend.

In hindsight we shouldn't have sacked him. Even if we didn't stay up and that day vs Sunderland didn't happen at least going down to L2 under him would've created some stability instead of the Bond/Waddock/Campbell shambles we had.

Not forgetting Ladapo, whom it never really happened for here but look at him since.

I agree , Chris was treated very bad by the board .

I agree , Chris was treated very bad by the board .
Not sure he was treated badly, it s a result s business and he wasnt getting them. We all wanted him to succeed but at the end of the day some injuries and of course the results were going against him. You cant just wait for ever for things to turn round.

I do not agree with chopping and changing manager every 6-12 months which is what we were and have seen dong, so maybe if we had stuck it out, taken that relegation earlier things would have been better now, sadly we will never know.

As for spotting players he got a good deal on Humphrys, Fulham let him go for free however took 30% of his fee when we sold him i believe, problem with humphrys for me was he was lazy at times. When your in a one up front you have to do more work. That aside he did play with a horrific injury and he could have said he wouldn't as no one could force him to play no matter what is rumoured to have been said. The bigger spot was Hopper I think he is a far better player than Humphrys.

Back