• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread (Potential New Signings)

Neither have set the world alight here

I think I’d rather keep ANG over Akinola if it came down to it. But I did wonder at the time of Brown’s “ripping up contracts” comments whether he was referring to both or either of those two.

Absolutely no complaints from me if they go.

As Johnny Stokes said a couple posts above about a different player, "all sizzle and no sausage". That really applies perfectly to ANG for me.

I prefer to say " all fart and no poo"

CP just tweeted that Barnet are interested in ANG and Akinola so maybe there’s a deal to be done there!

Interesting, but only rumours at the moment. Wouldn't be bothered if both went and can see Akinola doing well at Barnet (like Barratt at Maidenhead). Would give space in the budget to bring in a striker and a creative midfielder.

Interesting, but only rumours at the moment. Wouldn't be bothered if both went and can see Akinola doing well at Barnet (like Barratt at Maidenhead). Would give space in the budget to bring in a striker and a creative midfielder.

Akinola going would be a shame. Was signed under embargo, waited patiently for three months for his chance, started really well but was then a victim of the defensive mindset, was left horribly isolated upfront and lost confidence.

If we're going to actually address the areas around him, I can see him being an asset - he scored 16 goals in the National League last time he played at that level.

ANG though, not bothered. He glides past players like they're not there, but then generally loses it or overruns it.

If someone else had Akinola’s stats and they were available then there would be cries for us to sign him this summer. I’m somewhat surprised there’s so much happiness about his possible departure.

I think given a fresh start, with some changes around him then he’d be an asset in the National League.

I thought Akinola was one of our better players last season.
Several seemed to turn against him after his 'poor' penalty.
Does one action really define a player ?
I thought he worked hard and at times looked our only 'likely' scorer in a team that created very few chances.
I think with the right players around him , he could really kick on.

Despite their torrid season, there's a couple of Barnet players worth looking at who's contracts are expiring this month. Ephron Mason-Clark and Wesley Fonguck. Both young have a fair few games under their belts at this level.

EMC is contracted - not sure who has told you that! We've offered Wes a contract.

Wes has had a torrid time with injuries, but is a real player as someone mentioned. However when he was out of contract 2 years ago refused to sign an extension and no-one in the UK would pay compensation due so his agent took him to Holland to avoid this - but ended up coming back and signing a new contract. We're very strict on this so you'd be paying out for him more than I suspect you'd be willing to.

Both him and EMC have been with us 10+ years, and we've turned down £400,000 from Derby for EMC - a poor decision as he subsequently dropped off the boil. However he's still got more ability in his big toe than most teams have in this league. He's only 21, made over 100+ league appearances, and people forget that since his debut aged 16, he's played for 12 permanent managers (and about 6 temporary ones) - i've no idea how a player his age can thrive with that kind of turmoil. I can only hope that Harry Kewell would love a winger with his touch, pace and shooting ability and can actually get the most out of him.

We'd take Akinola back in a second - because he is a proven player at this level. Many players will never adapt to this level - don't make assumptions that average L2 players you have will thrive down here. Akinola is proven as one of the best players at this level, and if he's fit will get you 15 goals and 15 assists.

We'd take Akinola back in a second - because he is a proven player at this level. Many players will never adapt to this level - don't make assumptions that average L2 players you have will thrive down here. Akinola is proven as one of the best players at this level, and if he's fit will get you 15 goals and 15 assists.
I'm sure you would, but it is just as possible that he will remain with us as he is contracted until 2022 with a further year option. And I doubt any Southend fan believes we will thrive until we see what Mr Brown builds for the season. The fact is that we are still very raw at losing our League status and that can lead to some fantasising by some. We will, however, be a hard team to beat.

ANG although skilful has dreadful decision making and tries to beat his man 4 times rather than once and cross/pass/shoot. He has potential and was hopeful that the new management team would get more consistency out of him. Sim would be a big mistake letting go. Thought he was one of our better performers last season and always put a shift in. Was hoping with Murphy and maybe one other up top it would free Sim up to do what he does best (very much like his run for the Dieng goal at FGR). he looked far more dangerous out wide running at his opponent than with his back to goal. Dont believe MM played him in the right way but was more hopeful that under PB he would fulfil that potential

I’d be a bit gutted if Akinola left, he is a proven Goalscorer in the National League. He hasn’t had a chance to play under Brown and maybe Brown’s system will suit his style of play. I’d just make sure he stays well away from penalties because that was not his finest moment.

As for ANG I’m not fussed, but wouldn’t be unhappy if we kept hold of him.

I’d be a bit gutted if Akinola left, he is a proven Goalscorer in the National League. He hasn’t had a chance to play under Brown and maybe Brown’s system will suit his style of play. I’d just make sure he stays well away from penalties because that was not his finest moment.

Agree

I’d be gutted if we lost either of these players, they will both perform in the national league, I’d only let either go if we got transfer fees for them from a division higher not barnet:Sorry:

Best cure for Sim would be to take the next pen and put his laces right through it.

Back