• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Transfer Rumours Thread (Potential New Signings)

You've got to feel sorry for Kypers. He comes back from a long term injury to find MM clearly didn't fancy him, so wasted a season not playing. How frustrating. You can imagine PB, who liked him first time around, being honest with him and saying he would be a squad player only. Not what you want to hear having rarely played for two years.
Anyway back to the main thread let's throw a name out there Zeki Fryers. Prodomently a LB, but often played left CB at his last club Swindon. He's only 28, so guess he may still have EFL ambitions, but would do the job we are looking for.

Anyway back to the main thread let's throw a name out there Zeki Fryers. Prodomently a LB, but often played left CB at his last club Swindon. He's only 28, so guess he may still have EFL ambitions, but would do the job we are looking for.
Always injured though which is probably an unlikely one given we are trying to get away from players with that sort of record. He was on trial at Donny a few weeks ago and word is he is training with Stockport at the mo.

and yet we have more exspensive self indulgent bell end in charge now with players that were his first choice to buy. I really don't get the MM haters, the man made some mistakes but had the cards stacked against him.
I think the majority of us were excited when we first saw Sam play. Deserved a chance to be the creative player we desperately needed and wouldn’t have blown the budget either. I can’t see how MM judged him unworthy of a chance at that time tbh over someone like Goodship.

MM had his hands tied, yes. But Barratt was worthy of a second chance and that decision sits at his door.

and yet we have more exspensive self indulgent bell end in charge now with players that were his first choice to buy. I really don't get the MM haters, the man made some mistakes but had the cards stacked against him.
I was naive enough to think when we appointed MM we had brought in a young manager with new ideas and knowledge of all the lower league gems that some claim are out there. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who thought that at the time. Yes, the cards were stacked against him but he should have been well aware of that when he took the job. Yes, Ron probably spun him a web of lies about the embargo being lifted and not selling Humphreys & Kelman but again he should have suspected that from Ron's past track record. For all that if he had kept Sam Barratt he may well still be in the job. He would almost certainly have the got the goals that would have kept us up.

I think the majority of us were excited when we first saw Sam play. Deserved a chance to be the creative player we desperately needed and wouldn’t have blown the budget either. I can’t see how MM judged him unworthy of a chance at that time tbh over someone like Goodship.

MM had his hands tied, yes. But Barratt was worthy of a second chance and that decision sits at his door.
He didn't

It sits at Ron’s door as we were under embargo at the time. See also Bridge, who waited around before having to sign elsewhere for a year. Players don’t hang around for that length of time unless there is genuine interest.

It sits at Ron’s door as we were under embargo at the time. See also Bridge, who waited around before having to sign elsewhere for a year. Players don’t hang around for that length of time unless there is genuine interest.
We were under an embargo and squad size limit but Barratt was already our player and we could have accommodated him within those restrictions if we had really wanted to. I'm not a MM hater by any means. I thought he conducted himself with dignity during what must have felt like a baptism of fire. But at the same time I think letting Barratt go was a serious and avoidable error.

We were under an embargo and squad size limit but Barratt was already our player and we could have accommodated him within those restrictions if we had really wanted to. I'm not a MM hater by any means. I thought he conducted himself with dignity during what must have felt like a baptism of fire. But at the same time I think letting Barratt go was a serious and avoidable error.
If we’d signed him that would have been a squad place less and we wouldn’t have been able to sign Hobson.

Plus we need to remember the context: Barratt was coming off a major career threatening injury. We needed players we could rely on and Barratt (fitness wise and unproven at that level) was a gamble you can take when you aren’t working within the limitations of an embargo. Had there been no embargo I re-sign Barratt no question. But with the embargo there were other priorities that needed to be addressed first.

Pretty sure the decision to leave was Sam’s, not down to Molesley.

If we’d signed him that would have been a squad place less and we wouldn’t have been able to sign Hobson.

Plus we need to remember the context: Barratt was coming off a major career threatening injury. We needed players we could rely on and Barratt (fitness wise and unproven at that level) was a gamble you can take when you aren’t working within the limitations of an embargo. Had there been no embargo I re-sign Barratt no question. But with the embargo there were other priorities that needed to be addressed first.
Could we not have kept and played Barratt instead of signing the winger on loan from Barnsley?

Could we not have kept and played Barratt instead of signing the winger on loan from Barnsley?
We could have but Barratt was coming back from a career threatening injury and had 3 league starts under his belt. I wanted to keep Barratt but as third or fourth winger with a chance to build up from the bench. We needed Jordan Green (and his pace) as an immediate starter. Of course Green promptly got clattered. Without the embargo you sign both and Barratt starts the season on the bench and builds up to a starting role.

We could have but Barratt was coming back from a career threatening injury and had 3 league starts under his belt. I wanted to keep Barratt but as third or fourth winger with a chance to build up from the bench. We needed Jordan Green (and his pace) as an immediate starter. Of course Green promptly got clattered. Without the embargo you sign both and Barratt starts the season on the bench and builds up to a starting role.
I'll be honest, I can't remember the exact sequence of events last season (thankfully) or exactly how the squad size and under 21 exclusions worked but there were a number of ins and outs well into October even before the embargo was officially lifted. Managers live and die by their decisions and I think MM may well have been overhasty in releasing Barratt so soon (assuming it was his decision of course). Also, Barratt was a regular starter for Maidenhead from their opening game so his fitness may well not have required that much building up.

I can understand fans not rating MM, or thinking he wasn't a good manager, but I will never understand the ones that feel the need to abuse him or get personal. He never had a chance, and very few people would have had the stones to take that job when he did knowing they would be doomed to failure. If you want proof of that, you only have to ask a certain Adam Barrett.

Back