• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
A question for those who are much more seasoned travellers than I am, to help my daughter out.

She's travelling out to Malaysia next month with her father for a visit, which includes a wedding (her dad's mum is Malaysian so there's a lot of family out there). It's difficult for her to take advice from her nan and her aunt, as they don't have the same appearance. My daughter, naturally, takes after me in colouring.

The family are all Catholic so I guess it's never really occurred to me, and whenever I've seen photos of them or my former in laws out there on holidays, the women all wear vest tops and shorts. However, my former sister in law has told my daughter that she will have to cover up because it's a Muslim country.

Seems it's double standards, and if you're Western in appearance you have to cover your shoulders, legs, cleavage etc in all situations, but if you're Asian in appearance, it's not the case.

Just asking if anyone can shed any light upon this as she'll have to go and buy a whole load of new clothes if it is the case!

Cheers Paul, she's not a big drinker, but she does (as most young - and gorgeous [yes, I'm biased!] women do) like to show off her figure. Her aunt told her she'd have to wear shorts to her knees and t-shirts that cover her shoulders and chest!

Personally I wore whatever I liked in Malaysia and was fine in a vest top, my arms are pretty much covered in tattoos as well (which is very frowned upon in strict muslim countries). I wouldn't have thought Malaysia would be an issue at all, I also went to Borneo and did cover up a bit in the Brunei part of the island but the Malaysian part was fine.

Cheers Tom, she's also visiting Singapore but I am expecting that will be less of a problem.

I remember going to Riyadh with an ex who found out the hard way you can't walk down the street in a bikini with a can of lager on the go.

On the plus side she speaks fluent Arabic now.

Last edited:
A question for those who are much more seasoned travellers than I am, to help my daughter out.

She's travelling out to Malaysia next month with her father for a visit, which includes a wedding (her dad's mum is Malaysian so there's a lot of family out there). It's difficult for her to take advice from her nan and her aunt, as they don't have the same appearance. My daughter, naturally, takes after me in colouring.

The family are all Catholic so I guess it's never really occurred to me, and whenever I've seen photos of them or my former in laws out there on holidays, the women all wear vest tops and shorts. However, my former sister in law has told my daughter that she will have to cover up because it's a Muslim country.

Seems it's double standards, and if you're Western in appearance you have to cover your shoulders, legs, cleavage etc in all situations, but if you're Asian in appearance, it's not the case.

Just asking if anyone can shed any light upon this as she'll have to go and buy a whole load of new clothes if it is the case!

Depends what part of Malaysia.

Regardless of questions of respect it's probably a good idea to have something to cover up shoulders etc to protect her from skin cancer.

YB, I think the family live in Ipoh?

Don't know it.

Google suggests that Chinese is the biggest ethnic group and they're unlikely to care so much about it but I think the north of penisular Malaysia was more conservative though. Urban areas are likely to be more laidback than rural as well if it's Ipoh city rather than just state.

Regardless she should take some clothes to cover up from sun/mosquitos.

Been to Ipoh a few times, my suggestion would be that she takes a shawl to cover herself if needs be.
Ipoh is fairly westernised so she should be ok, as long as she is relatively sensibly dressed.

Been to Ipoh a few times, my suggestion would be that she takes a shawl to cover herself if needs be.
Ipoh is fairly westernised so she should be ok, as long as she is relatively sensibly dressed.
Thanks, a shawl was my best suggestion to her - she's just really peeved that her nan, her aunt and her cousin will all be able to dress normally but she won't - curse my Anglo Saxon genes!!

Back