• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Treatment of Fans last night at Millwall

ldnfatso

Red Rep King!
I thought that the treatment of fans by the stewards last night was nothing short of a disgrace. We were herded like battery chickens into 2 blocks when it was evident we needed more. Then when they actually did realise this (10 minutes into the game) they opened up the other block and allowed people to be trampled on to get to that block. Did anyone else think this was out of order?

I thought that the treatment of fans by the stewards last night was nothing short of a disgrace. We were herded like battery chickens into 2 blocks when it was evident we needed more. Then when they actually did realise this (10 minutes into the game) they opened up the other block and allowed people to be trampled on to get to that block. Did anyone else think this was out of order?

i thought it was handled very badly, surely they must have known how many we were bringing and thus open the required number of blocks?

Just like everything else last night (bar the pub) pants

i remember seeing this happen, i was on the other side and there was a bit of room so i was ok, but people were buying tickets ot the day too so they would've only had a rough idea, and most of the people i went with bought on the day maybe this had something to do with it?

Apparantly, on the radio they were saying something about things being thrown onto the pitch, does anyone know anything about that?

Definatley, stewards were a disgrace. I was in the far left block, and went for a **** at the same time as a another shrimper, who I didn't know. When we tried to go back up to our seats we were told we couldn't go up because there was no space (even though there were) and when we managed to tell them that we just cuame from there, I was a called a lairy ****in essex ****. Oh the joy's of Millwall:thump:

I didn't really understand the stewards' policy either - why try and squish the fans into two blocks when you've got an entire stand free with no segregation worries?

I didnt see any of this going on, completely oblivious. But I was very happy that the train waited for us at the end- not too sure I would be here now if it hadnt waited!!

I didnt see any of this going on, completely oblivious. But I was very happy that the train waited for us at the end- not too sure I would be here now if it hadnt waited!!

The Millwall fans were all mouthy youths - as Slipper noted in his piece about the game, there were only 4 policemen holding them back, if they'd wanted a ruck then they could have easily broken ranks. If we'd shared a train, the journey would have been a bit unpleasant but I doubt there'd have been a lot of violence.

The Millwall fans were all mouthy youths - as Slipper noted in his piece about the game, there were only 4 policemen holding them back, if they'd wanted a ruck then they could have easily broken ranks. If we'd shared a train, the journey would have been a bit unpleasant but I doubt there'd have been a lot of violence.

I made the first train and all I saw was ours fans (eg Me) mouthing off some old boy with a Millwall hat on.

The problem was that all the seating was 'unreseved'. The 3 blocks that we were in can seat just over 1,000 and we had just over 1,000 fans. But with unreserved seating gaps are left and that meant the late arrivals could not sit together & had to move to the other block.

They should have given us 4 blocks to start with & there would not have been a problem especially as they were expecting us to bring about 1,000 fans.

i missed the first 5 mins as they was a big q on the stairs going up to the stand. eventually they realised to open another block which filled up in seconds. how they thought of only giving us that tiny section is beyond me. also the stewards barely moved all night. all seemed very scared to be honest. especially when the ball went into the crowd and they kept on throwing backwards, they didn't even get up. just sat there.

It was very poorly handled last night. I bought a ticket in advance and expected to sit in that seat, which I believe was a bloody good one - right in the centre of the stand. Instead, we were moved into the corner block and by then it was a case of grab any seat you could, particularly as the game was about to start. Not happy!

Uncle Ron being a legend again!!

following on from this i wrote this email to SUFC yesterday about this and got a prompt reply from Uncle Ron which follows:

Good Afternoon,

I wish to make it be known that the treatment given to Southend United fans last night in regards to the allotment of seating was nothing short of a disgrace. Despite being allocated the whole of the North Upper Tier at The New Den, the stewards tried to herd everyone like battery chickens within 2 blocks of seats. With only 10 minutes to kick off it was apparent that this would be inadequate but still nothing was done to open up more seating. This meant for a while Fans including Parents with Children were faced with sitting apart from each other or as some did attempt, sitting in the gangway. Only after kick off was this cleared up and more seating was made available, and even then people were trampled over by people trying to get to the empty seats (previously shut off) but now open. I believe that Millwall would not like to see their fans treated like animals as we were last night, and only feel that they should treat visiting supporters with the same dignity that they would expect given to them. I also feel that a strong letter of complaint from Southend United on behalf of it's fans to either The Football League or Millwall is in order.

Many Thanks and Regards
Steven

Reply:

Steven,

Thankyou for for placing me in the loop.

I was discussing the visiting support with Millwall CEO-who is a good man-before the match. Clearly they had underestimated the quantum of away fans and I could see the congestion....5encr the overspill.

I will write to Millwall and let you know their response before pursuing this matter further. However whilst there may be no accounting for the Millwall fans behaviour I do doubt the congestion in the away area was intended.

Before the match their CEO was anticipating 800 supporters from us....which may begin to explain the problem.

I will contact soon.

Regards.

Ron

Last edited:
The catering staff were mugs, I asked for a Pie and the dimwits said sorry no pies to which I replied what are the things behind you in the glass think keeping them warm. They then had no idea what were in the pies and had to get someone to ask !

I ended up with a very nice steak & kidney which other than the goal was about the highlight of the evening !

Before the match their CEO was anticipating 800 supporters from us....which may begin to explain the problem.

I thought we had sold 800 tickets before the match anyway?

It was obvious that some people would buy on the night. To get 'caught out' by only another 250 paying on the night is pretty poor considering how much space for away fans and how many stewards they have at Millwall.

Back