• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Trevor Ketttle...

Taken from the Sun.co.uk

ROTHERHAM boss Mick Harford is to be charged with bringing the game into disrepute after calling for referee Trevor Kettle to be struck off.

Harford was incensed after Kettle reduced his side to nine men and sent him to the stands during his side’s 1-1 draw at Barnsley on Saturday.

The former Chelsea and Wimbledon striker described Kettle’s performance as the ‘worst he had ever seen’.

Harford said: “The game was spoiled by a referee who should not be allowed to officiate at any level of football. The bloke should be struck

you truly are a baffooon SPS, what right have you got to spout your opinions on this once friendly bored

rock.gif

Trevor Kettle is an appaling ref. Why should managers get threatened by the FA purely for criticising referees? Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and if the ref has a bad game why shouldn't the managers be allowed to moan about it?

(I'm probably gonna be shot down in flames by Mick for that comment though!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ Nov. 23 2005,18:08)]Trevor Kettle is an appaling ref. Why should managers get threatened by the FA purely for criticising referees? Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and if the ref has a bad game why shouldn't the managers be allowed to moan about it?

I agree with you on that. Why should referee's get special protection? If the FA can fine manager's for abusing the referee in his post match comments, why can't the PFA fine managers if they do the same to players?

Surely its the same thing?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ Nov. 23 2005,18:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Whatever @ Nov. 23 2005,18:08)]Trevor Kettle is an appaling ref. Why should managers get threatened by the FA purely for criticising referees? Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and if the ref has a bad game why shouldn't the managers be allowed to moan about it?

I agree with you on that. Why should referee's get special protection? If the FA can fine manager's for abusing the referee in his post match comments, why can't the PFA fine managers if they do the same to players?

I suppose the FA would argue that the criticism which presumably can be blistering should be in the club's report to the FA and the manager should merely say in interview that he did not think the ref had a good game. Also refs cannot comment on managers which would be interesting if they were allowed.
biggrin.gif

Mind you it would make for a very dull world.

[b said:

Far from it.  Trevor Kettle is a menace.

If every referee cautioned as many players as him, clubs could easily have 6 or more players suspended at the same time. He is trying to make his name by refereeing to a different set of criteria to most of the others.

PS this criticism is obviously getting to him. Not his normal self at Boston tonight. Just the 5 yellows !!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ Nov. 23 2005,18:15)]
[b said:

or in the same breath, managers get critised if they get it wrong or lose by the fans opinion, surely this is the same as a managers opinion on the ref?!?

[b said:

As long as referees are free to say that Managers made appalling decisions with tactics, especially when they include kicking the opposition up in the air, time-wasting etc etc etc.

Refereeing is a thankless task and I wouldn't want to do it in an age of the instant TV replay. Sometimes the people on the pitch are the only ones not to be able to 'benefit' from the knowledge that a penalty 'definately wasn't' or that so-and-so actually 'dived' in real-time whilst the game is still going on.

Anyone who wants refs to be open to public criticism should
a) give refs the right to criticise back
b) become a ref themselves first.

I'LL get shot down in flames for that, I'm sure.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fish @ Nov. 24 2005,13:59)]
[b said:

As long as referees are free to say that Managers made appalling decisions with tactics, especially when they include kicking the opposition up in the air, time-wasting etc etc etc.

Refereeing is a thankless task and I wouldn't want to do it in an age of the instant TV replay. Sometimes the people on the pitch are the only ones not to be able to 'benefit' from the knowledge that a penalty 'definately wasn't' or that so-and-so actually 'dived' in real-time whilst the game is still going on.

Anyone who wants refs to be open to public criticism should

I'LL get shot down in flames for that, I'm sure.
Great post, and i won't shoot you down in flames.

Refereeing is generally a thankless task, and they normally have no right of reply in the media.

Their major problem is that all footballers are cheats, whether it is tugging at shirts, claiming a throw or corner when they know full well who touched the ball last, diving and trying to get their fellow professionals booked or sent off through their actions. While this is going on the ref has to decide in a split second what has happened, and mistakes will occur. Hands up here who has never made a mistake at work, school or in their walk of life.?

The ref also has to suffer foul mouthed abuse from our paragons of virtue which they try and pass off as industrial language. Yet if you called one these players a tw&t they would be up in arms with an immediate sense of humour failure.

Then they have to put up with the likes of that tw&t Chris Kamara analysing their every decision. Mr Kamara has had the benefit of watching these decisions time and time again on replay, and more often than not cannot make out if the ref was right or wrong.

I for one do not want to see every contentious decision referred to a tv referee, the only ones that should be are line decisions and line decisions only. Furthermore if tv replays are to be used they must be used in all matches at least within the premier and football league, no law for the Premier$hite and second best for the league clubs.

More managers should take the view of Stuart Pearce where he refuses to criticise the ref, a la Brian Clough, perhaps a lesson the likes of Ferguson, Wenger, Allardyce, Warnock et al would be well advised to follow.

Having said that referees like Trevor Kettle should be removed from the lists until they can learn a basic understanding of football, and how the game is played. Supporters pay to see two sides of eleven play a competitive professional sport, and not a ref who may reduce the match to eight a side.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Nov. 24 2005,14:17)]More managers should take the view of Stuart Pearce where he refuses to criticise the ref, a la Brian Clough, perhaps a lesson the likes of Ferguson, Wenger, Allardyce, Warnock et al would be well advised to follow.
That reminds me of the classic quote (I think it was Ron Atkinson) who once said in a post-match interview 'I've never ever criticised referees during my whole career, and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for a tw&t like that'.

laugh.gif

agree with mostly everything you said CanveyShrimper. However, i still think everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Supporters go down the pub after a game and discuss what happened - whether right or wrong. Managers should also have the freedom to do this regardless of whether they are in the light of the media or not. They dont necessarily have to blame the ref as such but should be entitled to say what they thought the ref got wrong or right. If referees were so concious of what managers thoguth of their display then they shouldnt be a referee atal.

With the case of the Rotherham manager refered to at the top of the post - that in my opinion is way out of line. Whether or not Trevor Kettle is unable to referee a match in the league is the opinion of the F.A, not football managers. The problem is that managers cant get away with saying anything and all degradious quotes regardless of the context is treated in the same way. Im not saying that a line should be drawn, but at least use some common sense.

Thanks Shrimperman, at no time was i suggesting that freedom of speech or thought should be removed. I really think that managers should be more considered in their approach. Maybe shoving a mic in someones face two seconds after a game is not conducive to to considered opinion, but more to controversial comment.

Spot on, adrenaline combined with instinct is a dangerous thing and in the same light hindsight is beautiful thing. I think all managers will admit to saying something they regret after thinking about it or seeing it again on tape. Unfortunately todays world likes controversy and consequently your quote about mics being slung in their faces is seen as a modern day standard. A more considered and conserved approach would make more sense.
Infact it would maybe help in adapting the rules to the modern game and in turn help referees make better decisions? Maybe this is a bit far fetched but i was just thinking that a current managers considered opinion would help develop the game - dont ask me how exactly, it was just a quick thought!    
wink.gif

Not my words but on the subject of Squadron Leader Kettle:

Welcome to another day in the life of Trevor Kettle, new Football League referee. Or to give him his full title (I sh!t you not), Squadron Leader Trevor Kettle, of the Royal Air Force.

Mr. Kettle, in many respects, shuns the typical conventions of the english refereeing standard. Where a typical referee may see a mistimed, but ultimately harmless challenge initiated by a player who has let the ball run a little too far in front of him, Mr. Kettle sees potential for a sustained whistle blowing frenzy, calling over of a linesman, and the chance to issue a red card.

Where you or I see a 50/50 arial challenge contested between a determined centre-half and equally determined striker, Mr. Kettle sees the opportunity to aportion a randomly awarded free-kick.

Where most human beings would feel uncomfortable and perhaps reflective on their relative abilities having awakened the bare, astonished fury of five and a half thousand people in less than one hour, Mr. Kettle plows on regardless, intent on putting fantastic new slants on existing refereeing rules and on certain occasions introducing some new ones entirely for his own bizzare form of gratification.

For you see, Trevor Kettle is not a typical referee. Nor is he like you or I. Initial indications are that he is most certainly not a normal human being, rather the ******* offspring of some unseemly coupling between Joe Stalin and Koko the Clown, intent on turning the most innocuous of football matches into an unmitigated circus, with him as the central attraction.

I fear that I am only scratching the surface on Mr. Kettles refereeing displays, and yet dare not delve deeper for fear of what I may find, it being too dark and horrible to contemplate. Just how many people has he made angry? How many managers has he confounded?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fish @ Nov. 24 2005,13:59)]Anyone who wants refs to be open to public criticism should
I did just that and qualified as a ref. Confirmed my suspicion that most of them are jumped up jobs worths with a Hitler type complex and a complete inability to apply common sense.

But at least it gives me the right to criticise
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
. And, of course, I'm happy for them to criticise my performance as a supporter
laugh.gif

Back