• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Trick or Treaters

Yes and one night out of 365...and you working at a school should have more tolerance than most......some people these days just need something to moan about...Kids having fun to me is great news , better than sitting on some street corner bored out of their minds.

But it meant I couldn't open me bottle of wine till they'd finished! Would hardly do to open the door and be met by someone they are taught to have respect for in school, when she's two sheets to the wind would it?!

'Sides, as Harry said earlier, this time of year was always about Bonfire Night not this American nonsense. You know that day when parents take their little ones to see explosives making pretty patterns, and thrust something with a temperature at over 200 degrees fahrenheit into their little hands, safely protected by woolen mittens and then tell the kids to wave the thing around! :D

I can't believe you counted
And I do every year out of interest - this year was the most, but then it's a Saturday and been half term.

thrust something with a temperature at over 200 degrees fahrenheit into their little hands, safely protected by woolen mittens and then tell the kids to wave the thing around! :D

Is this your crazy fantasy :nope: ......

......... kids waving sparklers

That's fine John, but why not make that night a proper British tradition, Guy Fawkes night?

Well since you and your mate tried to blow up the houses of Parliament...times have changed. I must admit I do not like the "Americanisms"--- is that a word?..that have crept into our society but I doubt we change it now and as long as the kids enjoy it,.. Thank god I haven't slipped into that vein.

Innit Bro.

Ok, my poster says no more after 8 p.m. as it does every year, I consider that quite long enough, and 53 little visitors later, I am bloody knackered! At least it did do one good thing - the old man (who is never normally in to witness this stuff and always says oh it's good, harmless fun!) has gone out as he couldn't bear the constant interruptions! :D

There's your answer Kay. Something to think about

I can't stand Halloween, it's like Christmas now. Over advertised and sadly people talk about it before the actual day. I've got nothing wrong with parties it's just when people knock at your door at 10:00pm when you are about to settle down for the news, you can't help but feel the urge to throw something at them.

I didn't have Turkey today, or open any presents. I didn't even have a tree.....nothing like christmas!

'Sides, as Harry said earlier, this time of year was always about Bonfire Night not this American nonsense.

Not exactly true Halloween or should I say All Hallows Eve has been celebrated in this country longer than Bonfire night.

Ok Trick and Treat originated in the US of A but to be honest it has been over here since the early 80's which is nearly 30 years now, I remember doing it when I was younger, the main explosion over here was after ET was released as that film really did introduce the concept to kids.

I've wired my doorbell up to the mains - how's that for a neat trick. Little scrotes won't come to my door twice. And with a Jehovah Whitness church 100 yards away there's also the prospect of killing two birds with one stone. Can't lose really :)

Seeing as we both live in Eastwood you must have killed them all off before they reached my house!

I used to hate trick or treat with a vengeance and used to put signs up on the front door saying No trick or treat, very young baby asleep but I've learned to come to love it through the pleasure it brought my own kids. My wife takes the opportunity to dress up and we have most of the lights turned low. My wife will watch out for them walking up the drive then switch on the scary halloween music on the CD player and try to open the door to scare them (not hard, she scares me)

Out here in HK it seems to me families go out for a family meal/halloween buffet with the boys dressed up as monsters and the girls as fairies/princesses etc. The drinking crew hit Wanchai with a vengeance last night with men and women dressed up in various scary themes for halloween and lots of fake blood. I was somewhat disturbed to see one guy who turned up in a hotel bathrobe, hotel slippers and hotel showercap, apparently it was his interpretation of scary but he'd obviously thought this through and didn't have too much of a problem attacting the ladies in the hour I was in that bar.

I cant see what the problem is with halloween, all you have to do is beat them to the question of trick or treat. You should see the look on the children faces when you are taking sweets of them

There are some miserable *******s on this site!!

I've no issue, whatsoever, with little kids doing this. It's only a bit of fun and costs us, what, a handful of sweets once a year. My two got a lot of fun out it - I am told my youngest has a massive bag of sweets from his round up north. Maybe Stockport are just more generous than us!

I've got no problems with it as it goes...

But then, I don't have a rod up my Jacksie. In all seriousness, I think it's one of 'those' occasions that kids can have some genuine fun, and I don't see the harm in them knocking on peoples doors as long as it's before 8pm and they don't take the p*ss. What I do hate, is people who blast children who knock on their door because it's sacreligious or some sh*t. A few years ago, one of my brothers came back in floods of tears (He was around 7 at the time) after a woman down our street shouted at him for 5 minutes, informing him he was going straight to hell, for having the audacity to knock on her door.

That's basically how I feel. I quite enjoy it. My wife was out last night so I held the fort. Unfortunately I only got one knock on the door. I now have a whole bag of goodies to take to the office tomorrow!

We did get one door knock Friday night. I told them they were a day early. Their answer really made me laugh. They said, "Everyone has said that. But we can't make it tomorrow!"

I understand the issue about sending kids out to knock on strangers' doors, but don't see it as an issue. Round our way all the kids are supervised by their parents.

Two years ago we had one kid who was with his mum. To get to our front door you have to climb a flight of steps. The mother waited at the bottom whilst the kid rang the bell. When I went to answer the door I could hear him practising over and over, "Trick or treat." I opened the door to the cutest little 5 yr old I had ever seen dressed as a ghost. What did he do? He just froze and looked absolutely petrified! I gave him about half our stash for the evening!

In Scotland (and Ireland) the tradition was "Guising" where you went out in heavy disguise, and when you knocked on the door you had to do something (dance, poem, song, etc) to earn your treat. Much more civilised, much more fun - but of course trick or treat has virtually wiped it out.

my son was quite pleased to tell me this morning that him and his mates went in the local chippy to do "trick or treat" and they each came away with half a bag of chips :D

Just had a group of 8 young un's last night so I've got a whole bag of Haribo's left that I'm desperately trying not to munch :D

Back