• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Trick or Treaters

chapperzUK

I am not bothered with the whole 'scary' theme but the 'Trick or Treaters' really **** me off :madman:. It is an AMERICAN theme that has somehow come over here.

Am I the only one?

I am not bothered with the whole 'scary' theme but the 'Trick or Treaters' really **** me off :rant:. It is an AMERICAN theme that has somehow come over here.

Am I the only one?

Don't get me started, hate it....with a passion, but in view of the fact that most of the kids at school know where I live, I'm deemed a safe house to knock at. Have done the same as I always do and put up a sign saying no more after 8 o'clock, think that's fair enough. Have had about 20 kids round already.

Although I don't approve as such, I don't have a problem with traditional Hallowe'en parties, but it's this Trick or Treating I don't like. You spend your whole time as a parent telling your kids not to talk to strangers and yet, here you are, sending them off in the dark to knock at people's (possibly strangers) doors. And the older kids that really do terrorise the elderly. In Essex, if you have kids in the 14-17 age range, you get a nice letter from Essex Police telling you to try and ensure your kids behave responsibly and respectfully.

Don't get me started, hate it....with a passion, but in view of the fact that most of the kids at school know where I live, I'm deemed a safe house to knock at. Have done the same as I always do and put up a sign saying no more after 8 o'clock, think that's fair enough. Have had about 20 kids round already.

Although I don't approve as such, I don't have a problem with traditional Hallowe'en parties, but it's this Trick or Treating I don't like. You spend your whole time as a parent telling your kids not to talk to strangers and yet, here you are, sending them off in the dark to knock at people's (possibly strangers) doors. And the older kids that really do terrorise the elderly. In Essex, if you have kids in the 14-17 age range, you get a nice letter from Essex Police telling you to try and ensure your kids behave responsibly and respectfully.

I've never really seen the point in this letter. Some kids just use 'Trick or Treating' as an excuse (and a poor one at that) to just cause trouble and be a pain.

Someone pinched your last rolo ?

I want a rolo now ............. :(

I've wired my doorbell up to the mains - how's that for a neat trick. Little scrotes won't come to my door twice. And with a Jehovah Whitness church 100 yards away there's also the prospect of killing two birds with one stone. Can't lose really :)

I've wired my doorbell up to the mains - how's that for a neat trick. Little scrotes won't come to my door twice. And with a Jehovah Whitness church 100 yards away there's also the prospect of killing two birds with one stone. Can't lose really :)

:D

Awesome!

I am sitting at my computer upstairs, all the lights are off downstairs, I'm hoping that any potential trick or treaters will think there's noone at home and not even try to knock on the door. I won't answer it if they do!

Fortunately, so far my cunning plan has worked. Or it might have something to do with the majority of residents in my street being old age pensioners....

This is a really stupid, crazy American idea that came over here out of the blue. We never had it when I was a kid, yet I heard someone on the radio the other day talking about the "tradition" of trick or treating! What tradition?

When I was a lad, my mum told me never to talk to strangers, and if they came up to me offering me sweets to stay away from them. Yet now, we are telling kids to approach strangers and demand sweets from them and then do something unpleasant to them if they don't agree!! What kind of message are we giving out to kids there????

Nonsense, utter nonsense!

Lol, Phil loves kids really!

Bizarrely enough, despite my (so far) lack of trick or treaters, I did actually have a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses knock at my door this morning. I did wonder whether it was related to Halloween or not.

After the lady told me how pleased she was that I was in (???) she said "We are discussing the Bible".

With a quick "Not with me, you're not" I soon shut the door and went for a lie down.

I am sitting at my computer upstairs, all the lights are off downstairs, I'm hoping that any potential trick or treaters will think there's noone at home and not even try to knock on the door. I won't answer it if they do!

Fortunately, so far my cunning plan has worked. Or it might have something to do with the majority of residents in my street being old age pensioners....

This is a really stupid, crazy American idea that came over here out of the blue. We never had it when I was a kid, yet I heard someone on the radio the other day talking about the "tradition" of trick or treating! What tradition?

When I was a lad, my mum told me never to talk to strangers, and if they came up to me offering me sweets to stay away from them. Yet now, we are telling kids to approach strangers and demand sweets from them and then do something unpleasant to them if they don't agree!! What kind of message are we giving out to kids there????

Nonsense, utter nonsense!

Agreed. The tradition of this time of year was another form of begging with a penny for the guy. Give me the tradition of Guy Fawkes night every time. Apart from little sods detonating bangers from the start of October that is.

Bizarrely enough, despite my (so far) lack of trick or treaters, I did actually have a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses knock at my door this morning. I did wonder whether it was related to Halloween or not.

After the lady told me how pleased she was that I was in (???) she said "We are discussing the Bible".

With a quick "Not with me, you're not" I soon shut the door and went for a lie down.

I think I have had 1 Jehovah's Witness come to my house and I just scared them off .......... muahahaha
burns.gif

Agreed. The tradition of this time of year was another form of begging with a penny for the guy. Give me the tradition of Guy Fawkes night every time. Apart from little sods detonating bangers from the start of October that is.

Firework antisocial behaviour actually (so far) seems to have been a whole lot better this year. Previous years since we moved from the city centre to the suburbs have been like East Beirut from the start of Oct until the Xmas lights get switched on.

Just had another half a dozen of them........going to run out of sweets at this rate another hour and 20 minutes........

You could just not answer the door between 5 and 9. It's working for me so far.

Anyone else think it's a bit ironic that in a society which, if anything, has gone a bit over the top on child protection, there's still a day of the year where kids are encouraged to knock on the doors of complete strangers and ask them for sweets?

An Englishman's home is his castle. Unfortunately I'm in my Girlfriends flat, and as its a private block, I don't expect many trick or treaters. Shame.

If I was back at my old dear's, I'd love it. I'd answer wearing a scream mask and holding a baseball bat. Before anyone can mutter the words trick or treat, I'd have simply warned them to think about what the next three words out of their cake hole are going to be, and recommend that they are 'Sorry, wrong house.'

They was driving me mad here in Shoebury, so Three years ago I had a sign made up to put outside every haloween that says 'Trick or Treater lives here, please leave treat on or under the doormat,thank you.'
Not a single Trick or Treater has knocked since, and somebody put 20p under the mat last year. Nice and peaceful haloween now.

Back