• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

blue79

Banned
The Sunday express reported in a small caption yesterday that Nottingham Forest are hot on the trail of Kane Ferdinand and Bilel Mohsni.

and a few lines in the Sunday People suggested Ipswich and Crystal Palace have stepped up their pursuit of Ryan Hall.

As I said in a previous thread I wonder if we'll let these players leave for nothing.

As the contracts of Ferdinand and Hall expire at the end of next season and Bilel's deal runs out at the end of this season.

If there are takers for them in the higher echelons I doubt they'll sign further extentions with us. They've already done so , so they've done their loyalty bit.

I know we 've discussed this but the main point was to tell you of the possible but probable interest in these players from the papers.

Up the Blues.

Last edited:
As long as we are winning and the team in the top 3 I dont see any of them leaving. They are all loving it here, playing with a smile on their faces, Hall has already said he owes the club for standing by him. Im not naive, I know talk is cheap but we kept our 04-05 squad together when we went up. Dont forget the Luggy factor too, he gave a lot of these players deals when no one else wanted them, he threw Kane in, he rescued the careers of the likes of Phillips, Corr, Gilbert, Prosser, Dickinson. That can only inspire loyalty in the man.
Sometimes its better to be a big fish in a little pond. Just look at Eastwood, Barrett, Francis, Mccormack. None of them have been a success since leaving the club.

Not quartet - I was meant to say a trio of clubs allegedly interested in a trio of our players.

I see Hall leaving quicker than Eastwood. Why? Freddy was a forward whose job it was to score goals. Hall is banging in them in for fun like a forward but is an attacking midfielder which is even more impressive. I don't think anyone will leave in January but I wouldn't rule out some offers being made then.

The Sunday express reported in a small caption yesterday that Nottingham Forest are hot on the trail of Kane Ferdinand and Bilel Mohsni.

and a few lines in the Sunday People suggested Ipswich and Crystal Palace have stepped up their pursuit of Ryan Hall.

As I said in a previous thread I wonder if we'll let these players leave for nothing.

As the contracts of Ferdinand and Hall expire at the end of next season and Bilel's deal runs out at the end of this season.

If there are takers for them in the higher echelons I doubt they'll sign further extentions with us. They've already done so , so they've done their loyalty bit.

I know we 've discussed this but the main point was to tell you of the possible but probable interest in these players from the papers.

Up the Blues.

Blimey mate you should change your user name to The Pessimist :unsure::winking:. I thought Ferdinand signed a two year deal towards the end of last season which leaves him with a year to go at the end of this. Besides which as he has progressed through our youth team he can't leave for nothing unless of course we financially implode once again.

I think Sturrock has played a loyalty trump card by saying he didn't sign Boli because it was unfair on the current squad. The club won't stand in anyone's way... expect one of Grant, Mohsni, Ferdinand or Hall to go in January as we hope to bring Timlin in. I believe we have to get at least one out before anyone else can come in.

But in doing so he can say to the players he believes in them and will give them a chance to get out of this league. I think they will all sign contract extensions as they are all attracting higher interest and it will not do them any harm. It will benefit the club greatly as it will enhance their value and enable the club to put some much needed dosh in the coffers when they do leave, which they will. Don't forget, we are no longer a sinking ship and I think the players here have all joined at a time when the club was on it's knees and have been part of a tremendous effort to get us where we are now. There will be a sense of not wanting to leave a job half done with most of them, Hall and Mohsni certainly as they have reasons to be in our debt. At other clubs, their behaviour could have seen them sacked. We have stood by them and given them a chance. Signing a new contract and then winning us promotion would repay that debt and they could then move on to higher levels.

I think with Kane we would be due money anyway as he is under 24 so the contract issue with him is probably less important.

This talk of clubs eying up our players, what's going on, are we doing well or something?:winking:
Been a while i suspect since the phone has been ringing, oh well..here we go!

GK:
Glenn Morris 2012
Dan Bentley 2013

RB:
Sean Clohessy 2013
Ryan Leonard 2012 (2013 option)

LB:
Peter Gilbert 2012
Teddy Nesbitt 2012

CB:
Bilel Mohsni 2012 (2013 option)
Chris Barker 2012
Mark Phillips 2012
Luke Prosser 2012
Graham Coughlan 2013

CM:
Jean-Paul Kalala 2012 (2013 option)
Anthony Grant 2012

Kane Ferdinand 2013
Lee Sawyer 2012 (2013 option)
Alex Woodyard 2013
James Stevens 2012 (Development contract)
George Smith 2012 (Development contract)

W:
Jemal Johnson 2012 (2013 option)
Ryan Hall 2013
Merrick James-Lewis 2012

F:
Liam Dickinson 2012 (2013 option)
Neil Harris 2014

Barry Corr 2012
Harry Crawford 2012
Matt Paterson 2012
Kyle Asante 2012 (2013 option)
Blair Sturrock (Rolling contract)

Last edited:
Saying I'm a pessimist is a little harsh as I'm delighted as to where we are and believe we will maintain our top 3 position. I have also at all times Supported Luggy from day 1 when a few last season wanted shot of him.

I agree entirely we need a settled squad for at least the next 3 years. But at the moment our existing long-term plan stretches to only 18 months when Kane and Ryan's deals expire.

I 'm not saying everyone has to committ long term because that'll be ludicrous , a policy that has backfired on us many times in years gone by. but there are at least 4 in my view who we should be looking to re-sign for a fair while yet.

If they don't committ then we'll either see them departing for nothing or sooner if the Club wants a financial return on them.

Now the pessimist side: Anyone can play with a smile when t6heir form is consistently good. and thank heavens it has been. But there must be a possibility one or two are playing out of their skins in order to put them in the shop window hoping for moves to bigger pastures new.

Regarding Grant, Barker and Bilel The Club needs to get a move on as their deals are up next summer.

Saying I'm a pessimist is a little harsh as I'm delighted as to where we are and believe we will maintain our top 3 position. I have also at all times Supported Luggy from day 1 when a few last season wanted shot of him.

I agree entirely we need a settled squad for at least the next 3 years. But at the moment our existing long-term plan stretches to only 18 months when Kane and Ryan's deals expire.

I 'm not saying everyone has to committ long term because that'll be ludicrous , a policy that has backfired on us many times in years gone by. but there are at least 4 in my view who we should be looking to re-sign for a fair while yet.

If they don't committ then we'll either see them departing for nothing or sooner if the Club wants a financial return on them.

Now the pessimist side: Anyone can play with a smile when t6heir form is consistently good. and thank heavens it has been. But there must be a possibility one or two are playing out of their skins in order to put them in the shop window hoping for moves to bigger pastures new.

Regarding Grant, Barker and Bilel The Club needs to get a move on as their deals are up next summer.

Bilel has another year option.................... if the club decide to take it.

Grant, I wouldn't be surprised if he was let go.

Barker I agree, needs to be signed up. I'd expect that to be sorted early next year.

Up the Blues.

Surprised to see that you read the Express. With your ability to see the negative in everything, I had you marked down as a Mail reader.

Can we have Smiffy's contract post stickied somewhere for ease of reference for those of us not possessed of mahussive memories?

Is it too simplistic to say that with our current form, crowds should start approaching the 7000 level. Isn't that more than we need to break even? The point I am trying to make is that there may not be the need to sell players in order to make ends meet. I suppose the idea of cashing in on one or two now, for a really good fee, rather than them going off on frees at a later date, is another matter.

Intersting point regarding Hall

I remember reading the other week in the Echo, he still has 63 hours of community service remaining. I imagine he does 2 hours a week at most, from what i read, meaning he still has roughly 30 weeks to go.

Are you allowed to leave an area and do your community service in another area? I'm sure some of the bad boys on here will know the answer to this?

This is madness, IMO. Having 20 months left on a contract is an eternity for League Two. Why would a guy like Kane Ferdinand or Ryan Hall want to commit to a three or four year contract here? If they're ambitious then they'll be hoping to move up a few leagues, either with us or elsewhere.

At the end of the day if any of the saidplayers go we will get money. PS seems more than capable of getting good players in so I have faith in him. The books have to balance and if that means selling someone then we will do it I am sure.

The only "asset" I could possibly see leaving in the Jan window, would be Bilel. But even then, it would have to be a large offer.

In truth, I cannot see anyone leaving this season, unless a completely outrageous bid comes in. With the exception of some of the fringe players, who would be shipped out if an offer comes in for them.

Promotion is far too important. We simply have to get out of this league this season. For a whole host of reasons.

Back