• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This is madness, IMO. Having 20 months left on a contract is an eternity for League Two. Why would a guy like Kane Ferdinand or Ryan Hall want to commit to a three or four year contract here? If they're ambitious then they'll be hoping to move up a few leagues, either with us or elsewhere.

I couldn't agree more. If we should have learnt anything from the past few years it is the inadvisability of putting players on lengthy contracts. There is certainly no justification for it at League1/League2 level.

Bilel has another year option.................... if the club decide to take it.

Grant, I wouldn't be surprised if he was let go.

Barker I agree, needs to be signed up. I'd expect that to be sorted early next year.
You think we would let Grant go on a free Smiffy? Surely there'd be some interested clubs to take him in January if we were not intending in renewing his contract (only reason I can imagine is either he's paid too much or he isn't interested in resigning).

You think we would let Grant go on a free Smiffy? Surely there'd be some interested clubs to take him in January if we were not intending in renewing his contract (only reason I can imagine is either he's paid too much or he isn't interested in resigning).

the problem in my opinion is that grant always has been and continues to be heavily over rated by many blues fans, this season he has been very very average at best, seems to haved bucked up a bit since being benched, if i had watched grant early this season i would have been mightily disapointed

the problem in my opinion is that grant always has been and continues to be heavily over rated by many blues fans, this season he has been very very average at best, seems to haved bucked up a bit since being benched, if i had watched grant early this season i would have been mightily disapointed

Fair point - some may not agree, but the undeniable fact is that we HAVE performed better this season without him. I personally think he's a decent player at this level, not great, but certainly above average. Given the choice I would like to keep him because I'm loving the fact we have so much strength in depth at the moment. Regarding him being released without a fee - I don't really see it as an a issue. We would surely receive no more than a nominal fee for him (surely no more than £50k at best) and the saving achieved by having him off the wage bill would surely dwarf any transfer fee we could hope to receive.

Fair point - some may not agree, but the undeniable fact is that we HAVE performed better this season without him. I personally think he's a decent player at this level, not great, but certainly above average. Given the choice I would like to keep him because I'm loving the fact we have so much strength in depth at the moment. Regarding him being released without a fee - I don't really see it as an a issue. We would surely receive no more than a nominal fee for him (surely no more than £50k at best) and the saving achieved by having him off the wage bill would surely dwarf any transfer fee we could hope to receive.

Excellent post and fully agree with it all.

According to some swindon fans they've heard their Club want to keep hold of Timlin.

To convinve them maybe him and Grant can swap over.

The Sunday express reported in a small caption yesterday that Nottingham Forest are hot on the trail of Kane Ferdinand and Bilel Mohsni.

and a few lines in the Sunday People suggested Ipswich and Crystal Palace have stepped up their pursuit of Ryan Hall.

As I said in a previous thread I wonder if we'll let these players leave for nothing.

As the contracts of Ferdinand and Hall expire at the end of next season and Bilel's deal runs out at the end of this season.

If there are takers for them in the higher echelons I doubt they'll sign further extentions with us. They've already done so , so they've done their loyalty bit.

I know we 've discussed this but the main point was to tell you of the possible but probable interest in these players from the papers.

Up the Blues.

What was the name of the girl in the Trio ad, I'm wanting to say Suzie, but I don't know why?

There was a girl in my year at school nicknamed trio around that time. But that was for a different reason.

Imo i cant see any of our senior players going this season, the problem comes if we go up, i fairly sure the better players will be looking for a wage rise, a rise we maybe will struggle to pay.

Its almost like blue79 is suggesting that the club either has no idea these players are out of contract or isn't interested in opening contract negotiations, both of which are completely false surely

Contract talks are highly inflammatory, with agents often fuelling the fires to garner interest in the player (and so a bigger cut for themselves) .. Agents (especially the ten a penny unscrupulous kind) will be a major factor in the death of the game as we know it in this country, i don't think its too much of an exaggeration to say that players will end up with agencies and "hired" to clubs a season at a time

What was the name of the girl in the Trio ad, I'm wanting to say Suzie, but I don't know why?

There was a girl in my year at school nicknamed trio around that time. But that was for a different reason.

Lol it was suzie !!!

Of course other clubs will be interested - we are top of league and scoring for fun.
Unless something has changed, since I've been following this club we have always been a selling club just like nearly every other club in the football league !

Its almost like blue79 is suggesting that the club either has no idea these players are out of contract or isn't interested in opening contract negotiations, both of which are completely false surely

Contract talks are highly inflammatory, with agents often fuelling the fires to garner interest in the player (and so a bigger cut for themselves) .. Agents (especially the ten a penny unscrupulous kind) will be a major factor in the death of the game as we know it in this country, i don't think its too much of an exaggeration to say that players will end up with agencies and "hired" to clubs a season at a time

I get the impression blue79 spends too much time worrying and scouring the internet and newspapers for transfer speculation.

Mmm, it's true we have performed better without him and I'm not saying he's any form of hero, but his ability (when put to full use) is far too good for this league. He's easily a league one player, and if his attitude was right I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing lower Championship.

When he was on form early last season he was a class above this league, but when he doesn't fancy it he's just a passenger.

For me he'd certainly be a loss if he did leave, I'd be surprised if we'd get anyone with more ability in to replace him, but we may be able to get someone in who's more effective (than Grant has been recently, at least). Don't get me wrong he hasn't been on it for a while, but when he is, he's too good.

I most definitely still rate Grant, it's just whether he wants it or not.

Back