• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

From the wiki page on ultras, quite interesting & appropriate to this thread: -

Ultra groups are usually based around a core group (who tend to have executive control over the whole group), with smaller subgroups organized by location, friendship or political stance. Ultras tend to use various styles and sizes of banners and flags with the name and symbols of the group. Some ultra groups sell their own merchandise such as scarves, hats and jackets. The ultra culture is a mix of several supporting styles, such as scarf-waving and chanting. An ultra group can number from a handful of fans to hundreds, and often claim entire sections of a stadium for themselves.

The four core points of the ultra mentality are:

* never stop singing or chanting during a match, no matter the result
* never sit down during a match
* attend as many games as possible (home & away), regardless of cost and distance
* loyalty to the stand in which the group is located

Last edited:
So has anyone got any idea's of names to call the group?

True Blue?

Blue Army?

Blue Ultra's?

Noise Boyz!?

Southend Loyals?

I just tried to get an Italian & Spanish translation of South End and the Spanish one came back as: -

Extremo del sur

Maybe there's something in there that can be worked on?

Alternatively, Shrimp (or Blue) Brigade, Essex Ultras(after all this is as there's only one real team in Essex) or even Southend Invincibles (with a nod to the former RL team of Southend (Invicta) as well as a similarity to Lazio's Irriducibili, without the extremist politics before anybody says anything!)?

Southend Loyals to me sounds a bit too, lets just say Protestant (this again might alienate some people) and Southend Ultras is maybe just a little bit predictable? True Blue Ultras could work.

If only we knew if FF was going ahead and what the area of the stadium we'd make our own was going to be called! Or alternatively something involving a historical piece of Southend, e.g. The Kursaal or the Pier?

If this gets off the ground in the near future perhaps the ultra's could leave the pub early(:cry: ):eek: and start the singing and band playing on the way to the ground. As members to this Ultra club i think the north west corner would be a great home the entire ultra fan base walking in making as much noise as possible as the enter the stadium would be a fantastic site and spur on the stadium to make a superb atmosphere.

My only concern is will they be able to carry it on for the whole game.

Again Great idea, if it proves a winner at The Hall then the Transition to FF will be easier to gain support and sponsorship. Plus if it's all good publicity then the club may introduce ultras merchandise.

Indeed, with some hard work and enthusiasm my aim is to get this group up and running for next season.

I would like to think we could liase with SUFC and The Trust in getting a designated Ultra's section in place for the last ever season at The Hall, as a sort of trial if you like, as you say this will make the groups transition to Fossetts Farm much easier.

A custom designed Ultra's flag around 25x12 ft would cost around £500, but of course we will need to raise the funds to get this made up..

We will also need funds for other party pieces such as banners, smaller flags, streamers etc.

We will need to make up some song sheets to distribute around the ground on a matchday, the idea is to make the songs more original, easier to learn and more SUFC related.

A band will be needed, so anyone who can play drums, trumpets etc, please make yourself known.

A trial batch of merchandise, such as badges and scarfs to be made up and distributed via a new online Ultra's website and/or The club shop (if allowed!)

Get sponsorship deals in place for Fossetts Farm (again with the clubs permission)

Get membership costs and associated cards confirmed and sent out to Ultra members.

Strike up deals with SUFC for discounted Season tickets/Away tickets for all Ultra's members.

Arrange regular meetings with Ultra members The Trust and SUFC.

And plenty of other things..

So as you can see, a hell of a lot of work is involved in getting this thing off the ground, so if you are willing to give 110% in helping to form the most unique and exciting supporters group this club has ever had, please let me know via e-mail or PM.

SZ Mods, please get yourselves involved in this, your help will be greatly needed.

Any Trust representatives on here, please make sure you bring this up at the next meeting, which is on Monday IIRC?

Come on people, let's make history!

Forza Southend!

img6337tv0.jpg

img6341ca7.jpg

palbar06a.jpg

pre07a.jpg

thumb_celtci10.jpg

thumb_celtic9.jpg

Just a few tasters of what it could be like, if we ALL make this happen..

Soccer---Champions-League---Rangers.jpg

No allegiance of mine up here, but any football fan would have to admit this was mightily impressive prior to the Barca game on Tuesday night!

Hi all,

Sorry for joining this late but better late than never.

Anyway, I personally think this is a fantastic idea. I tried this back in the north bank days with my friends and it was fairly impressive but nothing like it was / could be today.

We used to take flags and airhorns every game and stop in sanctos to get balloons and then buy newspapers to wrip up and throw in the air. It worked pretty well but in those days I was a young guy so never had the money to push anything further!

I am more than happy to help put the effort in, make/buy some flags, purchase air horns / balloons etc etc!

We need to make sure we don't give the impression that we are hooligan club thought I think, because if we get big and push up the leagues and face bigger clubs we need to be slightly careful.

Overall I think its a fantastic idea but we need a desiganted area because I remember a few people having a go at me in the north bank because the flag obstructed their views.

Will we look to start this in the near future or for FF?
Will we want a website?
Who do we class as in the group and not in the group?
I also agree we need some drums!

Last but not least we need to start getting involved in some more spanish / italian songs that work for this (la la la la la la la whooooo la la la la la la la) LOL.... You get my idea but it works, when I went to Milan they honestly made it superb at their end!

Infact they love the ultras so much that an area is left for them & they get into the ground around 2-3 hrs before kick off to set-up the flags, drums, flares and everything else!!

Im all for this and all for helping 100%. I can even set up a forum if required?

I also think it should be called something like True Blue Ultras or Blue Ultra Starz.

Hi all,

Sorry for joining this late but better late than never.

Anyway, I personally think this is a fantastic idea. I tried this back in the north bank days with my friends and it was fairly impressive but nothing like it was / could be today.

We used to take flags and airhorns every game and stop in sanctos to get balloons and then buy newspapers to wrip up and throw in the air. It worked pretty well but in those days I was a young guy so never had the money to push anything further!

I am more than happy to help put the effort in, make/buy some flags, purchase air horns / balloons etc etc!

We need to make sure we don't give the impression that we are hooligan club thought I think, because if we get big and push up the leagues and face bigger clubs we need to be slightly careful.

Overall I think its a fantastic idea but we need a desiganted area because I remember a few people having a go at me in the north bank because the flag obstructed their views.

Will we look to start this in the near future or for FF?
Will we want a website?
Who do we class as in the group and not in the group?
I also agree we need some drums!

Last but not least we need to start getting involved in some more spanish / italian songs that work for this (la la la la la la la whooooo la la la la la la la) LOL.... You get my idea but it works, when I went to Milan they honestly made it superb at their end!

Infact they love the ultras so much that an area is left for them & they get into the ground around 2-3 hrs before kick off to set-up the flags, drums, flares and everything else!!

Im all for this and all for helping 100%. I can even set up a forum if required?

I also think it should be called something like True Blue Ultras or Blue Ultra Starz.

Thanks for your thoughts mate.

And thanks for offering your hand of support, we all need to do this to make it work.

The idea is to get the Ultra group up and running for the start of next season. (The last at Roots Hall)

We will have a designated section of Roots Hall, possibly the W/NW corner, where we can set up our banners, flags and streamers etc. We will need to liase with Uncle Ron and the police regarding this.

We will certainly need a website, and a very professional looking one at that, if it looks shabby it will give the impression of a hooligan group.

The Ultra's is open to anyone and everyone who is an SUFC fan, who wants to sing for 90 minutes week in week out, and generally make a load of noise and colour at ALL SUFC games, home and away.

No problem mate

I will look into a forum now and will also look at the italian/spanish ultras to get some pics etc

This is what we want to stay away from
362523005_f61d0d013b.jpg

Unfortunatley ultras abroad have this reputation but we can change that.

So lets have a look at what we could be like.

1491506356_10996759a4.jpg

Maybe so, so lets get behing the boys.

The southend ultras travel to the game
1446130145_f29a1de5ed.jpg

A few flares and fireworks are let off
466356575_f5c5074233.jpg

A Southend fan lets off a flare (and get thrown out) lol
1423227218_7e52660e10.jpg

The away end didnt like the sound of our Ultras so they didnt travel. The one who did wasnt too pleased and wished he stayed at home.
99278320_e561dc4ccd.jpg

A few more of the Southend ultras travel on the ultra bus
1422949216_8592a91232.jpg

The southend ultra flags get going
1472443300_c0a9cc7711.jpg

496731135_fd0569c397.jpg

Our trumpet guy gets the crowd going
1356278929_54072a057a.jpg

We score! The crowd goes mental
1391053823_3e4475b9f9.jpg

1284848547_cdd551ce75.jpg

1270103344_64366e595b.jpg

462434332_9fc6cb4eaf.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so maybe its a bit extreme lol but you get the idea (slightly)

This is mental
1128999799_d64829e64a.jpg

How this guy gets in the ground I will never know, He is called Timber Jim and he celebrates every goal with cutting a tree lol
515088817_f86cdc90f9.jpg

When I went to Milan it was very similiar to this
295291196_c9447576e7.jpg

Maybe we could do this
290478277_4ba5233cea.jpg

This is impressive at Bayern Munich
31651827_9ae22871f2.jpg

Roma also have a big ultra connection.
ultras18.jpg

In my opinion these guys have the ultras to be very hostile and aggressive. Now we want to make it awkward for away fans but IMO we dont want to get the aggressive/hooligan tag.

Newcastle do this when the players run out and when they score, I think this is pretty good and something we should look at doing. (although they did all get free scarfs)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KQBPWSy3njI

Smiffy, I will bring the subject up at our next meeting with a view to including it in the Trusts next liaison meeting. As you say, there is a hell of a lot of work that needs to be done, a lot of which cannot be done without the help of the club. At this tentative stage it's important the group get the club on board with regards to the whole idea.

I cannot of course speak on the Trusts behalf but personally I think it's a great idea and I think and hope they wouldn't mind being involved in some way between the group and the club.

Any specifics you'd like me to put to the committee in this regard please PM me with the details.

Phil

This Ultra thing sounds a superb idea & would do wonders for FF providing all Ultra STH can sit in the same area.

My only reservations are, & I'm not trying to put a damper on it, are:

i) The name of Ultra's is considered by a lot of people to be a group of thugs, hooligans, Nazi's etc.

ii) numbers. How many people will actually take part at the new ground? At RH you have little pockets of noise. 2 lots in the South & one on the West. 200 at a push for a normal game & probably twice that for a Leeds, Col Ewe type game.

If the first point can be address & people can be educated, as opposed to being ill-informed Sun readers, then the other point will be easy to address.

The thought of an atmosphere like Southampton away for every home game, would be fantastic. Even my Borient supporting Uncle, heaped loads of praise on us for that day. Needless to say, he had never seen any thing like with his lot!!

Good luck & I hope it happens. I will of course support it! Although I will sit elsewhere in the ground with friends & my little godson! I'm too old really! ;0)

I think the 1st port of call will be a nice flag with someway showing a "non hooligan connection"

This Ultra thing sounds a superb idea & would do wonders for FF providing all Ultra STH can sit in the same area.

My only reservations are, & I'm not trying to put a damper on it, are:

i) The name of Ultra's is considered by a lot of people to be a group of thugs, hooligans, Nazi's etc.

This is Southend United so i don't think this will be an issue. But i think some sort of code of conduct should be introduced, if this it be a family friendly idea swearing will have to be stopped.

Back