• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Trust

stan collymore

Stanley Victor Collymore
In 2018 I was invited by the Icelandic FA to watch their game v Bosnia which confirmed an island of 300,000 ( size of Coventry) qualify for the World Cup.

Before the game, the manager, Heidur invited me into what could be best described as a small social club.

300 fans in colours all singing.

Heidur walked in and asked me to switch my phone off. Everyone else's was on.

He gave out the team to the fans in the club as he had done for the previous several years which included handing England our arses at the 2016 Euros.

Not one fan gave a member of press the information in that time or indeed on that day.

He gave the fans the team before the press, every single game and not one leak came out.

Now, the moral of the story isn't giving you lot the bloody team sheet every week, it's the fundemental trust between organisation ( club or association) and supporter.

That trust was the bedrock of their success. One didn't work without the other.

If Southend United can build half that trust with fans, other clubs and players, we've every chance.

?

Last edited:
Without doubt this would be a huge thing for Southend supporters. We have been led to believe things time after time and let down at each step.

”Don’t worry we won’t get relegated“
”We will be bringing in 7 new players in the transfer window”
”We are not under an embargo”
”HMRC will be paid this week”
”First brick at FF will be laid later this year”

Good luck to you Stan, it’s would be a huge thing to turn that around, in fact probably gaining the trust back will be your hardest challenge.

My only concern is that Ron has lost a lot of supporters trust over the last few years. Can he get that trust back, we will see. It's a two way thing.

But echo your comment.

And if we can build goodwill in the community with worthwhile programmes like the Trust Inclusivity one, we will have a greater chance of building it.

I just want a club I can be proud of. I've been around long enough to know you win some and you lose some. Promotions and relegations come and go. It's not so much the losing that hurts than seeing the club completely lose its way - not doing right by people; sacking the groundsman because the weather was bad; giving chance after chance to someone like Ranger who'd already betrayed our trust when the rest of the football world wouldn't touch him with a barge pole; signing Osadebe and Vassell but then leaving them dangling for the rest of the season unable to play; signing Akinola and then leaving him out in the cold and blaming him when he failed to hit the ground running; having to be taken to court to pay the fitness guy; employing managers who make you cringe every time they open their mouth; the suspended sentence for not paying our players' wages; keeping players on furlough longer than everyone else; stiffing local non-league clubs on friendlies etc etc. Some of these are little things, some are large but they accumulate over time.

@OldBlueLady's work with the Junior Blues, @Suffolk Shrimper In Dorset's work with SUEPA; Ricky Duncan's work with the Academy. They're the type of thing that can help build something bigger and worthwhile.

This is great but I think a lot of southend supporters are divided right now. It would be great to have this though.

This is great but I think a lot of southend supporters are divided right now. It would be great to have this though.
So why are we divided?

For most of us we were taken to our first game at a very young age and from that magical moment fell in love with our club. And guess what it wasn’t just love it was unconditional love just the same as a baby gives it’s mum and dad!!

For some of us it was like meeting our first partner, infectious and exciting. Some move on from this but once again for some it becomes a love never to be forgotten!!

For a few of us it starts as an investment. Just like buying that old classic car that needs some tender loving care. With the intention of selling it for profit once fully restored. But slowly you start to fall in love with the project and decide that you no longer want to separate from it.

Love of Southend United is what brings us all together!!

What divides us is emotion! We all suffer it indifferent ways and all deal with it differently.

My wish is that we could all align our emotions and focus it in a positive manner and just imagine what we could achieve!! ?

So why are we divided?

For most of us we were taken to our first game at a very young age and from that magical moment fell in love with our club. And guess what it wasn’t just love it was unconditional love just the same as a baby gives it’s mum and dad!!

For some of us it was like meeting our first partner, infectious and exciting. Some move on from this but once again for some it becomes a love never to be forgotten!!

For a few of us it starts as an investment. Just like buying that old classic car that needs some tender loving care. With the intention of selling it for profit once fully restored. But slowly you start to fall in love with the project and decide that you no longer want to separate from it.

What divides us is emotion! We all suffer it indifferent ways and all deal with it differently.

My wish is that we could all align our emotions and focus it in a positive manner and just imagine what we could achieve!! ?
That was a sexy reply. I think divided was the wrong word tbh. I will think of something sexier and come back x

So why are we divided?

Well a good start is two things we are not divided on- the appointment of Brown (80-90% approve) and the message of “change” agreed by the various groups. If we want unity a good start would be mot to undermine this and push on focussed on the future

Back