• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Turkey:Part of Europe or the Middle East?

Is Turkey part of Europe or does it belong in the Middle East?

• Turkey is part of Europe

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Turkey belongs in the Middle east

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Don't know/not interested/other

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Middle East.

Almost the entire population is Muslim. Majority Sunni, the rest Shia.

They are probably more Middle East than European, but I'm more concerned with when did the French start taking their hardnut pills, really unlike them to go to the front of the bravery line.

Yeah, was thinking the same. They are usually tucked up safe in bed when the UK & US do the job.

They are probably more Middle East than European, but I'm more concerned with when did the French start taking their hardnut pills, really unlike them to go to the front of the bravery line.

I was wondering the same. The crunch point will come when Cameron asks them to commit troops on the ground. I'd expect a great big 'Que? We speaka no English.'

Most of Turkey is in Asia, but the border passes down the middle of the Dardanelles, meaning parts of North West Turkey, including Istanbul, are in Europe

Last edited:
Middle East.

Almost the entire population is Muslim. Majority Sunni, the rest Shia.

Hmmm. By that logic, England should be part of the Middle East. :hilarious:

That said a large amount of Serbians and Croatians are Muslim, so their religion should have no bearing. Clearly, it is both. That's geography for you. Russia is 30 miles or so from the USA, but is part of Europe..

Almost the entire population is Muslim. Majority Sunni, the rest Shia.[/QUOTE]

Is that Bradford,Southall,Wembley or Oldham?

If we're serious in in the West about coming to an understanding of Islam in the 21st Century, then it seems to me, it would be a good start to greenlight Turkey's application for EU membership.

Last edited:
If we're serious in in the West about coming to an understanding of Islam in the 21st Century then it seems to me it would be a good start to greenlight Turkey's application for EU membership.

*awaits the collective invective of vast swathes of SZ*

:Scared2:

If we're serious in in the West about coming to an understanding of Islam in the 21st Century, then it seems to me, it would be a good start to greenlight Turkey's application for EU membership.

A good question this one and I agree with you entirely, Barna.

Foreign policy is certainly not something I know much about, but Erdogan's Turkish government and the attempted secular separation of power is surely the model for democracy in the Middle East? They are also have a fast growing economy, though much of the Kurdish east remains less well developed.

Personally I favour their membership of the EU but it won't happen any time soon I suspect.

I'd have thought Turkey's membership would be welcomed by all Euro-sceptics (apart from those whose Euro-sceptism is just racism) because if the EU goes down the Turkish route we are committing to the model of a loosely knit Europe, centred around free trade.

Those who want to see the EU more closely knit will oppose Turkey joining as expanding the EU further will hinder the further integration of the member states.

I understand Islam just fine Barnaby - a primitive death cult rooted in the Dark Ages that treats half of its population as mere chattels. You don't want us to understand Islam, you want us to look the other way as they violate every unwritten law of human decency, whilst we self-flagellate over the sins of our great-grandfathers. We will have no alternative but to understand Islam, as it attempts to dominate every aspect of our lives in the procession to the Caliphate.

images

I understand Islam just fine Barnaby - a primitive death cult rooted in the Dark Ages that treats half of its population as mere chattels. You don't want us to understand Islam, you want us to look the other way as they violate every unwritten law of human decency, whilst we self-flagellate over the sins of our great-grandfathers. We will have no alternative but to understand Islam, as it attempts to dominate every aspect of our lives in the procession to the Caliphate.

images

I take it, then, that you have studied the Koran? Can't say I have, but then I don't have such strident views.

What makes you think that the issues you refer to are not cultural rather than a problem associated strictly with Islam?

I take it, then, that you have studied the Koran? Can't say I have, but then I don't have such strident views.

I haven't read the Koran, but a few people that have obviously found it to be a real blast. I don't suppose you have an encyclopaedic view of 'The Wealth of Nations' or The New Testament, but I'm sure it wouldn't stop you from adopting your sneering tone when discussing the free market or Christian beliefs.

What makes you think that the issues you refer to are not cultural rather than a problem associated strictly with Islam?

If these were cultural issues, then why don't Hindus, Christians, Jews and Buddhists go around decapitating infants in the name of their religion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Having spent many holidays on the Greek island of Kos , which is a short boat crossing from Bodrum I have several times gone on day-trips to Turkey and have noticed the difference between the European Greece and the less civilised Turkey.

European ? No chance !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back