• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Turkey

MK Shrimper

Striker
Turkey shoots down a Russian fighter jet on the Syrian border for breaching it's airspace. NATO says it will defend Turkey against Russia.

Remember how we all celebrated the fall of the Berlin Wall and the split of the USSR? The world is closer to WW3 than ever..... :sad:

Turkey rn

giphy.gif

Why on earth did they think this was sensible? Turkey's recent record with regards to migrants isn't exactly impeccable, maybe we ought to be questioning them rather than saying we'll defend them against the Russians - I think we need Putin on side more than ever at the moment!

Why on earth did they think this was sensible? Turkey's recent record with regards to migrants isn't exactly impeccable, maybe we ought to be questioning them rather than saying we'll defend them against the Russians - I think we need Putin on side more than ever at the moment!

During the past 12 months the Russians have violated sovereign airspace over 400 times,this time the Turks called their bluff.

The Russians have been pushing the international boundries as far as air space is concerned for months now. They did it too with a submarine when that 'strayed' into Swedish waters a while back. The Turkish authorities, if they've got their heads screwed on right, need to release the voice recording of the supposed 10 warnings given and also radar and tracking details of the stray Russian fighter.

I wouldn't put this past Putin and the Russian military at all. It's no secret that they, under his orders, have been probing the defenses of a number of Nato and non Nato countries for a long time. They do it all the time and if you take the time to dig a little you'll find RAF Lossiemouth scramble their quick response Typhoons on a quite regular basis.

Apparantly the FO reckons Russia will do nothing in response - I guess we can count our lucky stars no one was killed.

Edit: Syrian rebels are now saying the pilot was dead before he hit the ground.

Turkey shoots down a Russian fighter jet on the Syrian border for breaching it's airspace. NATO says it will defend Turkey against Russia.

Remember how we all celebrated the fall of the Berlin Wall and the split of the USSR? The world is closer to WW3 than ever..... :sad:

You must be genuinely concerned that we're going to war against Russia sometime soon.....

If only we had a sophisticated defense system to protect us.....

Turkey were by no means the only country or authorities tracking the movements of these two aircraft. Russia cannot deny that Turkey's airspace was violated and was thus perfectly legitimate in warning and ultimately taking it out.

Russian statement just said 'Too early for conclusions'.....to me that reads....Oh ****, we fuked up and got caught out. Now what'

Sovereign airspaces get violated all the time by virtually every country and 99.9% of the time those planes violating it back off after a couple of warnings and the sight of two jet fighters on their wings. This time, for whatever reason, this particular pilot didn't and paid dearly.

You must be genuinely concerned that we're going to war against Russia sometime soon.....

If only we had a sophisticated defense system to protect us.....

No one wins a nuclear war SB. I'd tell you I told you so but I fear you, I and everyone we know and love would be little more than irradiated dust.

No one wins a nuclear war SB. I'd tell you I told you so but I fear you, I and everyone we know and love would be little more than irradiated dust.

Which is why there will never be a nuclear war. Even Iran knows the consequences. It's just a case of knowing one has the potential to wipe the other out. You worry too much MK.

Now, if a looney terrorist gets a hold of one that's a different matter. Then be scared as much as you like.

Millions won last time. Of course Japan never had any nuclear capability, which is why the Americans had no fear in using their own. Now there's a lesson we could all take something from.

Millions won last time. Of course Japan never had any nuclear capability, which is why the Americans had no fear in using their own. Now there's a lesson we could all take something from.

Last time I looked, WW2 wasn't a nuclear war.

That was my point. If Japan had had a nuclear deterrent back in August 1945 America would never have used theirs in the first place. It's that mutual assured destructive capability that has kept the nuclear peace all these years and will continue to do so.

Anyway, back on topic. Russia will posture and Sabre rattle big time but ultimately do nothing militarily. They know they screwed up but also have to be seen as saving face.

That was my point. If Japan had had a nuclear deterrent back in August 1945 America would never have used theirs in the first place. It's that mutual assured destructive capability that has kept the nuclear peace all these years and will continue to do so.

Nuclear bombs had a fraction of the destructive power they have today.

It appears that the Russians were bombing Syrian Rebels again, whilst slipping this Military support for Assad in as "attacking ISIS"

As for the latest comment from Putin that this is helping terrorists, technically he is correct as the anti Assad Rebels will be classed as terrorists in Syria, but he knows full well that the majority of the media will insinuate that Turkey are aiding ISIS

It appears that the Russians were bombing Syrian Rebels again, whilst slipping this Military support for Assad in as "attacking ISIS"

As for the latest comment from Putin that this is helping terrorists, technically he is correct as the anti Assad Rebels will be classed as terrorists in Syria, but he knows full well that the majority of the media will insinuate that Turkey are aiding ISIS

Well aren't they? All these Jihadists are slipping to and from Syria some how. I'm not saying Turkey are giving direct help but I'm sure blind eyes are being turned especially as ISIS are fighting Turkey's enemy the Kurds for them.

Back