• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TV Donor Show - Right or Wrong?

The Donor Show

• Right

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Wrong

Votes: 24 88.9%
  • Undecided - state reason why.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Einstein

Esch Zhed Eff Schee
As some of you may have seen on the BBC news, there is a new "reality show" kicking off in The Netherlands tonight.

From the makers of Big Brother, creators Endemol have created a "reality show" whereby a terminally ill lady will give away her kidney on television. Three contestants who desperately need a kidney will 'battle' it out for the kidney, and then the lady will choose her favourite.

The BBC article can also be found HERE.

This has caused public outcry here in The Netherlands. The Dutch are known for having pretty liberal views, but this takes "reality shows" to another level.

For me, it is plain wrong. Patients in need of donors should be based on how urgent their treatment is required, and I cannot believe something so sensitive should be broadcast on live TV.

I would expect this to be one of the biggest landslide votes on SZ, however there are still people here who thinks it's a good idea. For me, it brings a whole new meaning to the term crazy Dutch.

Endemol have once again taken reality tv too far....this is no longer entertainment, they are playing with peoples lives. No doubt the people that are featuring in the programme know exactly what they are putting themselves through, but of course they are going to do it as they are so desperate to win.

Lets face it though, the bigwigs at Endemol know how controversial the show will be and will be rubbing their hands together at all the free publicity they are getting from it. They clearly have no morals and are driven by their hunger for making money....its wrong.

I hate what TV has become. I watch very littel now and have watched a full series of anything for years. This is another in a long line of shows that should have been scrapped before getting anywhere near the box. It's unbelievably wrong and inhumane.

Some people are just food snobs.

I quite like kebabs, especially after a couple of beers.

I have just voted right.
For the record I cant stand Endamol or there tv shows, but if it raises awareness and increases the amount of Donors then surely this can only be a good thing?
Also should Donors not have some say in where / who their organs go to?
Im not arguing they should but its an interesting debate.

I like Callan's arguement but I think its wrong.

Now making three lost it Virgins play off for the chance to shag a brass would be entertainment.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong!

The maker suggests that the programme will highlight the length at which people have to wait for donors ... bollocks! It's just gross and unacceptable; does anyone else think TV is becoming more and more "Max Headroom"?

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong!

The maker suggests that the programme will highlight the length at which people have to wait for donors ... bollocks! It's just gross and unacceptable; does anyone else think TV is becoming more and more "Max Headroom"?

While it is a bit of a sick programme, it would certainly be a good thing if it did actually improve awareness for the amount of donors that are needed. I wonder how many people actually carry a donor card or have opted somewhere that this is what they wish? Most likely not enough. I for one would be happy to be a donor.

While it is a bit of a sick programme, it would certainly be a good thing if it did actually improve awareness for the amount of donors that are needed. I wonder how many people actually carry a donor card or have opted somewhere that this is what they wish? Most likely not enough. I for one would be happy to be a donor.

Agreed. I accept people are talking about it. However I feel it could have been achieved in a far more acceptable manner than this.

And you are right - everyone should carry a donor card. I do (or did when I lived in the UK; I haven't come across a similar scheme in Spain yet) and would be more than happy to be a donor (if there are any organs left that actually work properly!).

I reckon if you don't want to donate your organs, then you should have to carry an "opt-out card". Problem solved.

Has anyone here got a doner card?

DonerCard.jpg

couldn't you just leave a macdonalds coupon?

Do you want them to transplant your organs or deep fry them?

I'm with Callan on this. It highlights the appalling delays, might stir someone into implementing MK's very intelligent plan and it is quite amusing really.

Where will it all stop? How long before we just give people what they seem to want and screen live death and sex.

Actually, we did the sex thing with this Virgin programme, didn't we?

Christ, I don't know. I barely watch telly.

Back