• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TV Regions

Reading Shrimper

First XI
My old man is shortly moving from Hockley to a flat on Southchurch Road in Southend. At the mo, I'm able to keep up to date with local news (including SUFC) through our Sky+ box which recieves BBC1 East and ITV1 Anglia S. Worryingly though, it seems that ITV wrongly allocate some postcodes in the Southend area to the Carlton/LWT region. Those of you that live in the Southend area - please can you let me know what you recieve (particularly through Sky) especially those that live in SS1 or on southchurch rd.

With Sky you can receive other ITV regions by retuning using 'Additional channels' menu. There is a website which gives details and frequencies required to do this. I don't have it to hand but when I find out I will post the website address. Sorry I am vague about this but its a while since I did this myself.

With Sky you can receive other ITV regions by retuning using 'Additional channels' menu. There is a website which gives details and frequencies required to do this. I don't have it to hand but when I find out I will post the website address. Sorry I am vague about this but its a while since I did this myself.

Quite right - I do know how to do this, it can be accomplished via the hidden 'installer' menu. But I'm really interested in finding out what people have been allocated by Sky/ITV as their default (Channel 103)

I would assume that most people in South Essex are allocated a London frequency, but I must admit that I don't have a clue as to what criteria are used to decide who gets what.

Everyone in Southend should be recieving ITV Anglia S - that's the region that is designed for the area. However, it often seems to be the case that Sky allocate London instead. They use the postcode of your billing address to determine region. The following show that Anglia should be the correct region - why Sky don't take note of this always, I don't know.

region_map.gif

From Wikipedia:

Coverage areas
Anglia originally covered mainly Norfolk, Suffolk, the northern and more rural parts of Essex and Cambridgeshire (at the time, also including Huntingdonshire, later Huntingdon and Peterborough, and the Isle of Ely) before expanding to the less rural areas of Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire with the opening of the Sandy Heath transmitter in 1965, covering an area which had previously been an awkward gap in ITV's coverage of the UK. Later in 1965, the Belmont transmitter opened, bringing Anglia's signals to Lincolnshire and the East Riding of Yorkshire, also being available to some viewers in cities such as Nottingham, Leicester and Sheffield. The Independent Broadcasting Authority decided that Anglia's coverage area was now too large for a "minor" company, and Yorkshire Television's was too small for a "major" company, so YTV was given the Belmont transmitter from January 1, 1974, even though it also covered the northern parts of Norfolk and Cambridgeshire, which now found themselves watching television from Leeds (subsequently, Anglia-only relay stations would be built, restoring the station to parts of north Norfolk). Also, with the transition from VHF to UHF signals, Anglia gained coverage of much of south Essex, including Southend, which had previously been considered part of the London region.

However, look up SS postcodes here:
http://www.skyeye.force9.co.uk/

No compliants here about receiving London ITV rather than the local-yokel Anglia/Meridian - in fact my complaint with SKY is that my default BBC1 channel (101) is BBC East (E).

Everyone in Southend should be recieving ITV Anglia S - that's the region that is designed for the area. However, it often seems to be the case that Sky allocate London instead. They use the postcode of your billing address to determine region. The following show that Anglia should be the correct region - why Sky don't take note of this always, I don't know.

region_map.gif

That map does not show that Anglia is the region designed for the area, it's way too unclear!!

What it does show, however, is what South East Essex actually is, and that is an overlap area of three different ITV regions, London, Anglia and Meridian. No one of those can claim to be the one region for the area. TV transmission areas are not an exact science, some houses in one road might be better positioned for London, others in the same road may have a better reception of Meridian. Many just take advantage of the fact they have a choice and have two or sometimes three aerials on the roof! Sky though can only allocate one region to channel 103, though, so in these overlap areas that might not match what you can receive through the aerial.

If you do have London as the preset on 103, can I ask what you have on channel 993? I obviously have Meridian on channel 103, but on channel 993 I have ITV London. I believe this channel is used for just such a case as Southend, where viewers might want a neighbouring ITV region to appear on the EPG.

Back