• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TV Shows You Loved, But Apparently Nobody Else Did...

EastStandBlue

Life President
Following on from my mention of Jericho on the "If it all ended" thread, What TV shows did you enjoy but were inevitable cancelled?

For those who haven't seen it, Jericho first aired on CBS in the states and was pretty much excellent. It was set in the town of Jericho in Denver and followed the events after a hypothetical mass nuclear attack on the United States, where every major city was destroyed. Jericho was one of the few towns not to fall victim to some kind of disaster, whether it was an initial blast, sweeping radiation or poisoned water supplies. It basically explored what would happen if such an event were to happen, i.e. the need for resources, trickling information and the power struggle to reform the US... with some states wishing to rebel and form their own country in the aftermath.

It really was a brilliantly written piece of TV, but it didn't really strike popularity in the US, limped onto ITV 2 on these shores and was cancelled after one and a half series.

'Bottom' was and is one of the best British Comedies ever, yet wasn't really widely recognised as one, i thought. Shame they only did 3 series.

Good call about Jericho, I remember it being on Hallmark here first,as you say it ran for one full season and about 6/8 episodes in season 2 before it was cancelled.

Another series I recall was Commander in Chief (a bit of a poor mans West Wing), starred Geena Davis who was the Vice President who became President after the death of the elected C in C. The programme was enhanced by the brilliant Donald Sutherland whp played a particularly malevolent political aide & rival. This disappeared after one full season and a couple of episodes in season two which were never aired here.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - Aaron Sorkin's next show after The West Wing, cancelled after 10 episodes. Well done USA, one of the cleverest, well written dramas ever & it sails striaght over your collective heads (unless the network bottled it, as it was too close to the real world of TV!!!)

Rescue Me - I always mention this one. Sky have only shown 3 series (bumped for 24 & Lost), but we're now on season 6 in the US. Denis Leary at his cutting best.

The Riches - Eddie Izzard & Minnie Driver as a couple of con-agent carnies. Only lasted a series and a half before getting the dreaded cancellation notices. Again, well written and never predictable.

Sunnyside Farm - sitcom with Phil Daniels & Mark Addy as a couple of brothers living on a farm. Only lasted one series but too rude and outlandish even for BBC2 (at the time, e.g. pre Little Britain). The first episode where Phil Daniels' character is trying to impress some women and decides to dress up as Jarvis Cocker is priceless.

Blue Heaven - Frank Skinner's first foray into sit-com, he stars in it as a lazy Baggies supporting failed musician (the episode where him & his thick Irish band-mate try and win Song For The Albion is superb - Bill Bailey is in it (first TV app?) in a throstle costume). It got given a series after the pilot was shown in a comedy showcase on C4 (Party of Five???). Again, total genius and all 6 episodes are comedy gold. Frank Skinner unfortunately is especially embarrassed about it and so won't even release it on DVD.

Sunnyside Farm - sitcom with Phil Daniels & Mark Addy as a couple of brothers living on a farm. Only lasted one series but too rude and outlandish even for BBC2 (at the time, e.g. pre Little Britain). The first episode where Phil Daniels' character is trying to impress some women and decides to dress up as Jarvis Cocker is priceless.

Remember this, I quite liked it too!

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - Aaron Sorkin's next show after The West Wing, cancelled after 10 episodes. Well done USA, one of the cleverest, well written dramas ever & it sails striaght over your collective heads (unless the network bottled it, as it was too close to the real world of TV!!!)

Studio 60 is one of my favourite ever shows, it was simply amazing! Brilliant written and acted.

I really liked Defying Gravity and Freaks and Geeks, unfortunately both canceled after 1 season.

High Spirits With Shirley Ghostman.

A calamitous interview on Jonathan Ross's show curtailed what could have been a brilliant comedy. As it was there are some comic gems on the only eight episodes ever made. His 'trance chanelling' of Princess Diana and dealing with various sceptics were priceless.

It seems,though, that only my lad and I ever watched it. I still have Patrick Stewart's 'defecating in their mouths' speech from the Spirit Academy as my ringtone though.

High Spirits With Shirley Ghostman.

A calamitous interview on Jonathan Ross's show curtailed what could have been a brilliant comedy. As it was there are some comic gems on the only eight episodes ever made. His 'trance chanelling' of Princess Diana and dealing with various sceptics were priceless.

It seems,though, that only my lad and I ever watched it. I still have Patrick Stewart's 'defecating in their mouths' speech from the Spirit Academy as my ringtone though.

Nope I watched it too. Cracking show!

What happened on Jonathon Ross?

Rescue Me - I always mention this one. Sky have only shown 3 series (bumped for 24 & Lost), but we're now on season 6 in the US. Denis Leary at his cutting best.

The Riches - Eddie Izzard & Minnie Driver as a couple of con-agent carnies. Only lasted a series and a half before getting the dreaded cancellation notices. Again, well written and never predictable.

Blue Heaven - Frank Skinner's first foray into sit-com, he stars in it as a lazy Baggies supporting failed musician (the episode where him & his thick Irish band-mate try and win Song For The Albion is superb - Bill Bailey is in it (first TV app?) in a throstle costume). It got given a series after the pilot was shown in a comedy showcase on C4 (Party of Five???). Again, total genius and all 6 episodes are comedy gold. Frank Skinner unfortunately is especially embarrassed about it and so won't even release it on DVD.

This Riches was great!

My shout would be Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles. Great cast, really good stories and effects and nice twist at the end of the 2nd season before it got canned (was either that or Dollhouse that got canned, TSCC got the chop and now Dollhouse has been canned anyways a series later :( )

I really enjoyed a comedy show on BBC2 called Perfect World starring Paul Kaye (Dennis Pennis). But no-one seemed to watch that either...

As mentioned by by YB Monley Dust was so funny I loved it

KYTV was a superb micky take of SKY TV

Jonny Vaughan did a sit-com comedy cant recall its name but it was good fun.

Rockcliffs babies was a Bill type drama which I liked as a kid.

Back