• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
Mon 10 Jan, 21:00 - 22:00 60 mins

Outnumbered

In the summer of 2004 over 5,000 people were arrested as part of a Government campaign to clamp down on binge drinking and alcohol fuelled violence in Britain. During the August bank holiday, the last of the summer, BBC cameras followed the police in Southend-on-Sea and Dover and Folkestone as they tried to deal with drinkers who were determined to cause trouble and injury.

Anyone on here going to be on telly?

cool.gif

I'll only be on it if they focus on people staggering home from the Spread Eagle to Westborough Road!
tounge.gif

I generally avoid drinking down the 'front these days, especially on Bank Holidays - too many day-tripping cockneys!

Watching the parts in Southend, I knew quite of people ive seen about on Friday and Saturday nights. Also The Blad Copper in hes green/yellow jacket he used to be at Roots Hall on duty.

I've Sky+ed this and will watch it tomorrow. I suspect its going to be sensationalist rather than representative of what Southend is really like at 2am of a saturday night. When I think about it I can't remember more than a small handful of incidents I've ever seen at that time of night. My experiance of staggering out of clubs and heading to Ali Babas/Taxi rank is that I've seen far more drunken singalongs than punch ups.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (southend_utd_fan @ Jan. 11 2005,00:13)]Watching the parts in Southend, I knew quite of people ive seen about on Friday and Saturday nights. Also The Blad Copper in hes green/yellow jacket he used to be at Roots Hall on duty.
Ha Ha yeah i saw him cant wait to see him at the next home game to take the ****.

biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Jan. 10 2005,14:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Be great to see Scott on there ...
God help if my mother sees it
blues.gif

dont worry kev I will come move in with you
tounge.gif
TB why have you got a picture of Nick Griffin on your signature, it's going to attract attention for all the wrong reasons.....!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wessex Blue @ Jan. 11 2005,09:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Jan. 10 2005,14:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Be great to see Scott on there ...
God help if my mother sees it
blues.gif

dont worry kev I will come move in with you
tounge.gif
TB why have you got a picture of Nick Griffin on your signature, it's going to attract attention for all the wrong reasons.....!!!!
Your politcal views are your own but I doubt the majority of Southend fans wish to be associated with the BNP.

I finished work at 10am this morning (gotta love Tuesday's) and just watched it earlier. Im sure i recognise the same face as Benny. Wasn't as many punch ups as i thought there would be, which was a shame ...

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ Jan. 11 2005,12:44)]all i can say is "Oh Dear", what a perfect advert for Southend On Sea...... NOT
In all fairness you could've substituted any high street in the country for Southend and the footage shown would've been much the same. This programme was just an upmarket version of booze Britain.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wessex Blue @ Jan. 11 2005,13:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ Jan. 11 2005,12:44)]all i can say is "Oh Dear", what a perfect advert for Southend On Sea...... NOT
In all fairness you could've substituted any high street in the country for Southend and the footage shown would've been much the same. This programme was just an upmarket version of booze Britain.
couldnt agree more wessex, However why did the powers of be at Southend Police or Southend Council decide to show our Town in that light?

I have to say that I know quite a few people on there from school/college. Another great advert for Southend, makes me wonder why anyone would want to come here when they see that on TV, although when I've been out at that time I have never seen any trouble.

Alexis

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ Jan. 11 2005,14:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wessex Blue @ Jan. 11 2005,13:30)]
[b said:
couldnt agree more wessex, However why did the powers of be at Southend Police or Southend Council decide to show our Town in that light?
This topic is flavour of the month at the moment. Given that the police around the country are probably severely stretched most weekends by the weekly Friday and Saturday night shenanigans around the country, I don't suppose they mind the adverse publicity providing it focuses politicians minds on finding a solution.

Plenty of votes for politicians in law and order, especially when it relates to binge drinking.

One thing that makes me laugh though is the police's continued focus on football violence. The resources allocated to monitoring it are totally disproportionate to the scale of the problem. As an example Bournemouth played Swindon down here in December. Large police presence and they had the Dorset police helicopter up monitoring the crowd. There was a bit of trouble but nothing to justify the expense. Meanwhile the town centre resembles a war zone at 2.00am on Saturday and Sunday mornings but where are the OB then?

Back