• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tyson Fury

Wouldn't look too much into it. Tyson's been talking gibberish like this for years. It's nothing new & nothing offensive.

Wouldn't look too much into it. Tyson's been talking gibberish like this for years. It's nothing new & nothing offensive.

I'm not surprised that you don't find his comments offensive.

Homophobic comments are offensive to lots of people.

I'm sure they are. But I wouldn't & haven't taken his comments as homophobic. Has he vilified or criticised anyone for being gay? Did he condemn gays? No. He's said it's something his religion disagrees with.

In relation to the actual interview, and putting it into context, he's saying the world will end, if things happen in modern society, that the Bible disagrees with*. Probably not too dissimilar to what every priest spouts during their weekly sermon.

Im not surprised you & you're fellow lefties are getting your knickers in a twist about it though.

*Its total Tyson gibberish, but it's not offensive. He's not preaching it & there's no way he actually believes the world will end.

Ali said/did plenty of things, which are much worse than what Tyson has said, but he gets a free pass. Here's his infamous interview with Playboy, from 1975. It's quite long, but quite interesting. Ali was a vocieferous racist, but you never hear a bad word uttered against him these days.

https://m.vk.com/topic-29336085_26889291

He's one of many religious people who use their religion as a way to say that their homophobia and other outdated and discriminatory beliefs are somehow acceptable.

I'm not a big fan of Oliver Holt, but the subsequent threats and comments by Fury are completely over the top. Also it's no coincidence that the Daily Mail have used Fury's recent success to start a character assassination.

Also I don't care that Fury has been spouting this kind of rubbish for years, he's now in the public eye and he's going to be under closer scrutiny. Saying that the legalisation of homosexuality is one step towards the end of the world is homophobic, and plain bizarre.

This isn't about 'lefties' or whatever, I find it strange that so many people can be accepting of homophobic garbage being spouted by anyone. I'm not offended by the comments personally, but know many gay people who day in day out suffer homophobic abuse and discrimination - Fury (and others) should try spending a day in their shoes.

He's one of many religious people who use their religion as a way to say that their homophobia and other outdated and discriminatory beliefs are somehow acceptable.

I see. So, similar to the devout Muslim refugees, who also oppose homosexuality & punish it by death? The same ones you called for us to open our borders to?

I'm not a big fan of Oliver Holt, but the subsequent threats and comments by Fury are completely over the top.

The story, was always going to cause a backlash. The journo decided to go ahead with it. Im not saying threats of severe violence are acceptable, because they're not, however, if I was a journo, I might think twice about riling up a large travelling community, who have well documented history of dealings & connections with the Manchester underworld.

Also I don't care that Fury has been spouting this kind of rubbish for years, he's now in the public eye and he's going to be under closer scrutiny. Saying that the legalisation of homosexuality is one step towards the end of the world is homophobic, and plain bizarre.

Do you think he cares about public scrutiny? Or media love?

Again, of course it's barmy. But that's Tyson. He isn't the full ticket at times. But it's not the worst thing that's ever been said or done in the sport & certainly won't be the last. Mike Tyson said/did worse. Ali said/did worse. Mayweather has said/done worse. The list is almost endless. It's not an excuse, I'm just putting it into perspective, from a media point of view. How comes Tyson is lambasted & many others have been given a relatively free pass?

This isn't about 'lefties' or whatever, I find it strange that so many people can be accepting of homophobic garbage being spouted by anyone. I'm not offended by the comments personally, but know many gay people who day in day out suffer homophobic abuse and discrimination - Fury (and others) should try spending a day in their shoes.

Again, what about those refugees, the devout Muslims, you wanted to bring across our borders? By you're own admission, you don't understand their homophobic garbage, but would welcome them into the country?

Really? Gay people these days are really still that heavily discriminated against? Day-in day-out aswell? Come on now, I'm not buying that. The Gay people I encounter, if anything, always seem to get treated miles better than your average Hetero.

GBJ - homophobia is a feature of many religions, it doesn't mean that all people who consider themselves to be part of those religions follow every implied teaching of their books. If you would bar people fleeing a warzone in case they are homophobic then maybe you should expel our own citizens who are homophobic too and see the political make up of this country change overnight.
Or just try to educate everyone who cant get their heads round the fact some people are gay. A good way of doing that is to highlight when homophobic comments are made in the media.

GBJ - homophobia is a feature of many religions, it doesn't mean that all people who consider themselves to be part of those religions follow every implied teaching of their books. If you would bar people fleeing a warzone in case they are homophobic then maybe you should expel our own citizens who are homophobic too and see the political make up of this country change overnight.
Or just try to educate everyone who cant get their heads round the fact some people are gay. A good way of doing that is to highlight when homophobic comments are made in the media.

That's the spirit ***, lets start with any preachers of hate. All the people on the watch list have said such things.

Never thought I'd see you defend a Daily Mail journo.

To be honest, GBJ has a point, but it works both ways, Anyone who defends any religion publicly preaching homophobic remarks , should not find Furys comments offensive. On the other hand , anyone defending Fury should not be taking issue with other religions saying similar things.
But to be honest I have seen very few comments over the past few years where Homophobic rantings (in the same sex marriage debates, Islam discussions etc) have been defended, so I am quite surprised , particularly given the ethnicity of Fury and the way the Dale Farm debate on here panned out , the way this thread has split opinion.

There's been a fair bit on here over the years that's gone unchallenged.

To be honest, GBJ has a point, but it works both ways, Anyone who defends any religion publicly preaching homophobic remarks , should not find Furys comments offensive. On the other hand , anyone defending Fury should not be taking issue with other religions saying similar things.
But to be honest I have seen very few comments over the past few years where Homophobic rantings (in the same sex marriage debates, Islam discussions etc) have been defended, so I am quite surprised , particularly given the ethnicity of Fury and the way the Dale Farm debate on here panned out , the way this thread has split opinion.
For me I don't believe in any of the gods. I would argue for people's rights to believe in them though and would criticise those same people if the result was racism, sexism or homophobia as sometimes it will be.

An individual should be judged on their own words and actions - so TF has left himself open to criticism. And his reaction to criticism is violent threats.

Back