• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mattitouk

Life President
What with all the recent changes lately in our own EFL Trophy, I found this article from yesterdays Times newspaper.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/u...gues-to-close-europes-wealth-divide-dxjjh635g

Long and short of it being that following a UEFA meeting yesterday, the Belgium and Dutch leagues are considering a merger, as well as possibly creating another single league between the countries of Sweden, Norway & Denmark.
To be fair, I think it makes some sense (to me at least). Granted we can get to watch some Dutch football league games on satellite TV , but if I'm honest, I couldn't honestly tell you who won the Dutch league this year, let alone the Norwegian, Swedish or Danish Leagues!

I know this has been bounded about for years now, but thinking closer to home, what are your opinions on Celtic and Rangers for example joining the English League?

Technically we are already a cross border league, what with Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham playing in different tiers of the English leagues.

I'm not totally against it, but if it were to happen, I would expect them to start in the National League and work their way up from there.
Also it would no doubt would be the final nail in the coffin of the Scottish League ( so not all bad then :smile: )

Another option could be not to invite them to join the English League, but to invite them to participate in the FA Cup instead? It would be a good away day for the smaller lower league clubs that get the lucky draw with them (especially with their average home attendance's of between 45k-50k in the Scottish league).
We could possibly have the bragging rights of trying to obtain the "Double Crown" (obviously similar to that of the rugby's six nations triple crown) I'm bringing back memories of the "British Home Championship" but just to a club level (some of the older fans of the forum, will remember this!!).

Furthermore, all that without the hassle of facing the daunting task of travelling to Scotland for a mid winter Tuesday evening night league game.

All being said, of course, we could all argue that should the "boot be on the other foot" (no pun intended) and the Scottish league was instead the richer of the two league's. I'm quite sure the Scottish Fans that hate the English so much, would never allow it to happen.

Personally I don't think neither of them are up to true premiership standard anyway. more of a case, they would be like one of those clubs that bounce between the Championship and occasionally into the premiership for the odd season (like Norwich / QPR & Hull City etc).

Anyway..What are your thoughts? Yay or Nay? or makes no difference?

Last edited:
It's as tale as old as time, merging the Scottish & English leagues. The Scottish FA will never allow it, as other European countries already complain we have 4 national teams - if the leagues merge they'll have more ammunition to clamour for a British national team that how we are seperated at the moment - which is good for Wales, NI and Scotland. Why affect them with the English malaise?

I'm all for it, and I think Norway, Sweden etc, should also accept PL B teams.

It's as tale as old as time, merging the Scottish & English leagues. The Scottish FA will never allow it, as other European countries already complain we have 4 national teams - if the leagues merge they'll have more ammunition to clamour for a British national team that how we are seperated at the moment - which is good for Wales, NI and Scotland. Why affect them with the English malaise?

I seem to recall it was the English fa and Seb Coe that spent years pushing for a UK national team for the London 2012 olympics and the scottish and Welsh fa only agreed at the 11th hour with a written assurance that it would be a "one off" & never to be repeated.

That being said though, if there would have been a UK team at these euro's.. I'm sure they couldn't have done any worse than England's performance.!

Back