• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
Rising food prices sent the UK's annual inflation rate surging to 3% last month in the sharpest increase in the cost of living in almost six years, the government said today.

Data from the Office for National Statistics revealed that the government's preferred measure of inflation - the Consumer Prices Index - was up by 3% in the year to April compared to 2.5% in the 12 months to March.

The scale of the increase came as a shock to the City and will severely dent hopes of an early cut in interest rates from the Bank of England to boost growth. Mervyn King, the Bank's governor, would have to write an explanatory letter to the chancellor, Alistair Darling, should inflation rise any further - only the second time this would have happened since Threadneedle Street was granted control over interest rates in 1997.

The Bank's nine-strong monetary policy committee were given an early sight of the inflation figure before deciding last week to keep the bank rate on hold at 5%. King will give his views on the state of the economy tomorrow when the Bank releases its quarterly Inflation Report.

The ONS said that prices in April alone rose by 0.8% - equalling the sharpest monthly rise since the CPI was launched 11 years ago. Food prices were up by 6.6% in the year to April, although clothing and footwear prices showed their sharpest annual decline since December 2002.

Today's CPI figures follow yesterday's record producer price inflation and will fuel fears of a period of so-called stagflation - the combination of rising inflation and slowing growth. The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors said today that activity was slowing markedly in the property market with virtually every estate agent in Britain reporting lower prices, while the British Retail Consortium said spending in the high street had fallen for the last two months.

Howard Archer at Global Insight said today's data was "another horrible surprise" on the inflation front, after the producer price data on Monday. "Given that the MPC had the consumer price inflation data last week, it is no wonder that they kept interest rates on hold." The chances of a June interest rate cut are "rapidly diminishing," he said.

2 "facts" here our so called Government don't reveal to us mere Mortals...

The true rate of inflation is running at 18%.....Told to me by a very high Employee of Barclays last week and the true cost of living has risen 11.4% in the last 9 months...The reason most of this is kept quiet and figures juggled by TBOE etc is to stop panic and to keep wage rises inline.....There was a great programme on BBC 2 last evening called The Truth about Property ..catch it on BBC I player if you missed it............It tells a whole story..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/i...=iplayerchannels&start=1&version_pid=b00bf5cf

Every government manipulates the 'basket of goods' to give them the inflation result they want, but Labour, traditionally the party of higher inflation, have taken this artform to a higher level. Thank God the Black Economy is thriving.

Every government manipulates the 'basket of goods' to give them the inflation result they want, but Labour, traditionally the party of higher inflation, have taken this artform to a higher level. Thank God the Black Economy is thriving.

Yes must be all that cash slushing about...........;)The last time we had high inflation true there was a Black Economy....this time I feel it is the opposite.

Does anyone know exactly what is in the basket of goods and services used to calculate the RPI?

Selected highlights:
Canned meats
75cl Bottle of Champagne
20 Menthol Cigarettes
Mens 3/4 length coat

That's me f***ed then.

It's always the working man that gets hit hardest.

Last edited:
I bet it is full of own brand products and chicken dippers.

Yes it must be full or good old British makes...

As we drive to work in our German car..wearing out Taiwan suit and Italian shoes...Have lunch in an Irish pub serving Belgium beer, perhaps on the way home we grab an Indian Curry..or a Turkish kebab to then sit on our Swedish sofa watching American TV shows on our Japanese TV...

Oh and only in Great Britain do they chain the pens down in banks but leave the main doors open..

Also why is it Supermarkets make sick people walk to the back of the store for prescriptions but let healthy people buy there fags at the front?

;)

As we drive to work in our German car..wearing out Taiwan suit and Italian shoes...Have lunch in an Irish pub serving Belgium beer, perhaps on the way home we grab an Indian Curry..or a Turkish kebab to then sit on our Swedish sofa watching American TV shows on our Japanese TV...

Oh and only in Great Britain do they chain the pens down in banks but leave the main doors open..

Also why is it Supermarkets make sick people walk to the back of the store for prescriptions but let healthy people buy there fags at the front?

;)

and why is there only one Monopolies Commission?

The true rate of inflation is running at 18%.....Told to me by a very high Employee of Barclays last week and the true cost of living has risen 11.4% in the last 9 months...The reason most of this is kept quiet and figures juggled by TBOE etc is to stop panic and to keep wage rises inline.....There was a great programme on BBC 2 last evening called The Truth about Property ..catch it on BBC I player if you missed it............It tells a whole story..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/i...=iplayerchannels&start=1&version_pid=b00bf5cf

Your next house purchase via a bus tour in Florida then?

What was he on?

Good to see you watched it Gary,very interesting wasn't it..

only watched some of it but it was quite interesting and shocking....

house prices have dropped 30-40% in 18 months was one hell of a statement in the programme....:stunned:

some 6 bed florida home that was up for $500K, had been reduced down to $300K or less because the bank had repo'd it.....

i did think the foreclosure bus tour was a bit much tho. it did show just how many houses must have been repo'd tho if they can run a bus tour for prospective investors...

and apparently there are due to be more house price falls.....

;)

I doubt much of the "Irish" pub is Irish at all, its most probably owned by an English pub company, with predominantly English shareholders. Likewise, your Belgian beer is probably not brewed in Belgium and may not be owned by a Belgian company. Your "Indian" curry may well actually be more Bangladeshi than Indian, but in any case, will be something unrecognisable to an Indian or a Bangladeshi etc etc

Back