• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Conservative defects to UKIP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28967904

Fair play to him for standing down and seeking re-election. Costly to the taxpayer but the right thing to do as he was elected as a Conservative.

Interesting that he's the sitting MP for Clacton.

"Ukip is going to focus its resources on a small number of seats in 2015, mostly in coastal towns where the demographics suit the party."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...ip-send-mps-westminster-general-election-2015

In the report he states some common sense ideas and also that the " out of touch" is recognised by him as a Tory MP and also by his grass roots constituents.
By having a bye election it generates the more publicity and focuses the issues with votes going to more of a protest than at a general election.
He will likely be re-elected as a UKIP, the first, and so also give more power to NF.

Carswell has obviously tested the water in Clacton to see if he has a chance of winning the seat but it's still a 12000 majority to turn over so I'll wait and see what the polls look like nearer the by-election. Must say though, very brave move on his part to resign the seat as he didn't have to do that.

I hope the voters in Clacton bare in mind what an exceptional waste of tax payers money it is when their MP decides he would quite like to be in another party and force an election just a few months before we have to fund another election. Selfish ****.

I hope the voters in Clacton bare in mind what an exceptional waste of tax payers money it is when their MP decides he would quite like to be in another party and force an election just a few months before we have to fund another election. Selfish ****.

Selfish? What would you have said if he had just decided to join UKIP and stay as an unelected MP? I think it shows a degree of decency in as much as he wants to let the people of Clacton decide who represents them. I wonder how many other defectors would do the same thing.

Shaun Woodward springs to mind.

It is unfortunate that the taxpayer has to cough up for his by election. However, I'd rather that than him change parties and not step down - he was elected as a Conservative, so if he no longer is one, he is right to stand for re-election.

It is unfortunate that the taxpayer has to cough up for his by election. However, I'd rather that than him change parties and not step down - he was elected as a Conservative, so if he no longer is one, he is right to stand for re-election.
It's self serving - how long ago were the Euro / local elections? How long till the general elections? And what dramatic incident has forced him to do this slap bang in the middle of these elections? Nothing, he just gets news headlines this way at the cost of the respect of the voters who voted Tory on the manifesto that he represented - if I was one of those I'd be livid. If it is a failed attempt at self serving and the current UKIP candidate stands his ground then that will be a fair outcome.

It's self serving - how long ago were the Euro / local elections? How long till the general elections? And what dramatic incident has forced him to do this slap bang in the middle of these elections? Nothing, he just gets news headlines this way at the cost of the respect of the voters who voted Tory on the manifesto that he represented - if I was one of those I'd be livid. If it is a failed attempt at self serving and the current UKIP candidate stands his ground then that will be a fair outcome.

I hate the man and his (new) party but I think he's done the right thing - not stepping down would be self serving. You still have a good point though, this will gain lots of publicity and if I were a Tory voter in Clacton I'd be a bit p!ssed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back