• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ukraine - Ceasefire Agreed

londonblue

Topgun Pilot
Apparently they've agreed a ceasefire:

BBC

The bit that intrigues me is this:

The leaders of Russia, Ukraine, Germany and France announced that a ceasefire would begin on 15 February.

Why can't they start now, rather than the 15th? Does that mean both leaders go back to their respective generals and say, "right lads, you've got 2 days to bomb the **** out of the other side, and then it's over...hurry up, what are you waiting for?"

Just can't see it myself, Russia are on a mission....As you say it gives them a few days to sort themselves out.

Apparently they've agreed a ceasefire:

BBC

The bit that intrigues me is this:

Why can't they start now, rather than the 15th? Does that mean both leaders go back to their respective generals and say, "right lads, you've got 2 days to bomb the **** out of the other side, and then it's over...hurry up, what are you waiting for?"

I think it's probably so they've got two days to tell their troops to withdraw (or in Russia's case obviously wait for their troops to return from holiday).

I'd like to think that there wouldn't be any fighting in that time, but maybe they need to give a comfortable cushion as if that message doesn't get passed on (and special forces could be undercover), I'd imagine the other side to get particularly irked if the ceasefire is broken and things would rapidly escalate. This way if there's any gunfire in the next two days the other side doesn't go mad in response as they've broken the ceasefire.

I think it's probably so they've got two days to tell their troops to withdraw (or in Russia's case obviously wait for their troops to return from holiday).
Or gain as much ground as possible then claim it as theirs when the ceasefire begins.

Back