• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Richard_Cadette

The Realist
There havent been that many occassions over the last few season for me to be genuinely angry and dismayed with my beloved football club, but this is most definitely one of those times.

I find it absolutely staggering that we have managed to ship out 4 players from our already thin squad and replace them with just the one addition as we are about to enter in to one of the most important end of season periods for a very long time.

What the hell is going on down there?

Our squad before yesterday plainly was too small and not good enough (despite our recent improvement) and yet all we have done is some how managed to detract from it in terms of bodies and add just the one striker.

What club in this country would go in to the final part of the season with just 2 central midfielders at there disposal, especially given as one of them got injured the other night, what are we trying to do?

Tilly stated in the summer we needed to add 4-5 players to our squad, and that was before we got rid of the ones we did in the summer, and he keeps stating how we are down to the bare bones at the club, and yet to my amazement, we end up making the squad 20% smaller than it already was, how can that work?

Not only do we have barely any cover, we have zero options open to us to change a game or to change personnel if they are not doing the business, especially in midfield. No central midfield cover, no cover on the right, and no cover on the left. Yes Foran can play there, but it isnt his position and he was signed to score the goals to keep us up.

If this was a one off and we struggled to get players in for various reasons, perhaps you could accept that, but every transfer window is the same at the moment, we wait until the very last minute before signing someone, and in the mean time our squad continues to get depleted. Why? What on earth are they playing at down there?

With all the good news about the stadium and the recent improvements on the pitch with our decent run, you would think they would want to build on that, but no, we are again playing russion roulette with our Championship safety by attempting to get out of this mess on the cheap with a threadbare squad. I am sorry, but that is not good enough.

The fans have been excellent this year, backing the club in both fantastic numbers and voice regardless of our league position and have travelled many miles to do so. On the whole, the effort and commitment shown by the players who go out there cannot be faulted and they deserve credit for the way they have kept plugging away against the odds, but I believe both they and the fans are being let down by the club as they are not donig all they can to help them.

This squad needs more investment in it, and I am not talking millions and millions of pounds, we all know we cant run to that, but we can afford more than we already have and the club need to show everyone they are serious about staying in this league. If they are not serious, then we may as well al go home now and wait until the start of next season.

I, like may other dedicated fans, spend hundreds, possibly thousands, following the club all over the country and I dont know about you, but I expect that if I am putting in the time, effort and money to support this club, then they should be doing the same in return. I am so angry about this, that unless loan players are bought in quick, or my mood lightens somewhat, I will not be travelling to any more away matches this season, which for someone who has only missed 3 so far, thats a big wrench. But if they are not prepared to show the same level of commitment, effort and expense as I am, then I am not interested.

i just hope that maher and macca think there place in the team is always there and become lazy, you need to fight for your place and prove you should be playing. i doubt they will but always nice to have options which we have none!

Recent results suggest that the squad is both good enough and deep enough.

If we go down it won't be because our squad was too small, it will be because we dropped too many points in the first half of the season when we had our largest squad for years.

Oh! good another negative post. We're not the most attractive club to join in our current position but recent results have shown what we can achieve even with a small squad. Have faith in T & B and there motivational capabilities.

We need positivity for the fight ahead so let's get behind the team and say all this at the end of the season should it still be relevant!

Great post RC, I to share your sentiments...

To let this many go and not get even close to as many coming in, is very worrying and also a tad upsetting.

Yes, the boys are starting to turn the corner, but what happens when Maher and Macca get suspended again, we put Clarke or Hunt in midfield? Thus leaving gaps at the back...

Im sorry but Hunt and Clarke are not midfielders, we shouldnt have to be in a position of using square pegs in round holes, but we will have to when the inevitable suspensions/injuries occur between now and May..

Yet again, we are left hoping these are kept to a minimum in order for us to survive the run in...

Not good enough in my opinion.

Now, I hope we get a few in on loan because it is abundantly clear this squad is not big enough to cope with the expected injuries and suspensions that will be forthcoming...

Of course the boys will continue to get my full vocal support till the death, I just hope and pray we stay injury/suspension free till then.

Last edited:
Oh! good another negative post. We're not the most attractive club to join in our current position but recent results have shown what we can achieve even with a small squad. Have faith in T & B and there motivational capabilities.

We need positivity for the fight ahead so let's get behind the team and say all this at the end of the season should it still be relevant!

It isnt about posting a negative post as you put it, it is about expressing my frustration and annoyance at the way in which we are attempting to get clear of relegation.

If you think by shrinking the squad to ridiculous proportions and having only 2 central midfielders is the way ahead, then thats fine, that is your opinion, much as this is mine.

Who's to say we won't get some loanee's before that window closes? Quite happy we haven't signed a few "journeymen" to fill gaps rather than players who want to play for us and keep us in this league.

Besides, those we've loaned out can be recalled can't they?

You pretty much sum up how i feel RC, I was convinced there must have been at least 2 midfielders just around the corner when Tilly started shipping the likes of Cole, Gutts etc to other teams. 1 wold have been a disappointment, but NONE is a disgrace. I will now wait to here the "we played as well as we could 'cause we're down to only 12 fit players" line when we lose a few games, which just won't wash anymore.

Loan signings are not the answer either as we need players who's long term future is decided by whether we stay up or not as opposed to only being here for a few months then swaning off again if we go down.

Rant Over

Who's to say we won't get some loanee's before that window closes? Quite happy we haven't signed a few "journeymen" to fill gaps rather than players who want to play for us and keep us in this league.

Besides, those we've loaned out can be recalled can't they?

They can't be recalled in the first month of there loan period I dont believe.

Unfortunately, we dont have any central midfidlers out on loan, in fact, we dont have any midfielders out on loan, we sold them all!!

:fury:

Recent results suggest that the squad is both good enough and deep enough.

It could be argued that it was barely deep enough until this week, when it has been decimated by 20%. Do you believe that 2 central midfielders is having strength in depth? :confused:

I think Tilson is doing great with the resources hes being given (i.e. none - or next to none) and we've hung onto Freddy until the summer - and that is probabley a great credit to the managers relationship with the player.

The centre mid situation was flagged up at the beginning of the window and
remains the obvious weakness now - its still a squad light on numbers and quality.

I follow football not business but do have nightmares about the future of the club when so much of the boards stated interest is in the re-development of
our stadium site - a few fancy computer generated images don't totally
convince me. When the supporters really own the club - thats when we will know its in safe hands.

when does the window close for loanees to come in?

Not until March, but as i said i don't think they're the answer. If Macca/Maher suddenly gets injured in traing and they bring someone in on the eve of a game surely that's the same as making a panic buy? ie: anyone will do!

Not until March, but as i said i don't think they're the answer. If Macca/Maher suddenly gets injured in traing and they bring someone in on the eve of a game surely that's the same as making a panic buy? ie: anyone will do!

Like Arnau Reira you mean

I am frequently amazed by the amount of emotional investment in a football team.

I agree that we look a little thin on the ground, but I care a lot less than you, Richard_Cadette

I am frequently amazed by the amount of emotional investment in a football team.

I agree that we look a little thin on the ground, but I care a lot less than you, Richard_Cadette

You're obviously not a proper fan then :D :D ;)

Well RC you are entitled to your opinion but think its a hugely negative over-reaction.

Yes more players have gone out than brought in, but those that have left, with the exception of Guttridge havent even set foot on the pitch, so what on earth have we lost ?

We have plenty of cover throughout the squad, with only central midfield the questionable position which Clarke, Hunt and Bradbury able to play in that position.

It would have been nice to have brought in another midfielder as cover, but we were never looking for a first teamer to replace Maher or McCormack anyway.

If someone wants to tell me what players we should have brought in that would have made an impact on our survival hopes Im interested in hearing it.

Back