• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Underperforming Telly !!!

BLUEBLOOD

Moderator of Moderators
I realise i'm leaving myself open to the undeniable "wit" of the Shrimper nation here, but nonetheless i have a problem and quite frankly don't really know where to turn

I have lost the picture on my tv .. i can still hear it ok so i'm loathe to just bin it and buy another straight off, its not attached to an aerial as its only used for CDs / DVDs but i do tend to find films are better when you can see as well as hear what is transpiring up on the screen

any ideas ?? and budding TV service engineers or know of one ??

post here or PM me please

ta very much in advance

Lee

How old is it? If it's a CRT telly then I'd imagine your tube has gone. I've got two perfectly working 14" colour TV's in my garage waiting to be dumped down the skip due to the glorious digital switchover that you can have if you want to come to MK mate.

Its a 32" flatscreen, not a great make (Acoustic Solutions) but only about 5 years old so not quite an old duffer just yet surely

Trouble is it would probably cost as much to repair as to buy a new one.

I see Argos have a Hitachi 32" for £180 which seems good value, but if its only gonna cost £50/£60 to replace an internal switch or something then i'd do that .. its one reason why i really hate being a technophobe

Is it analog or digital?

Digital

my old tv stoped showing in colour. in the end i resorted to buying DVD which were shwing in black & white so i didnt miss anything. Steptoe & Son being a favourite of mine. Never did get it fixed.

Have you tried making sure the scart lead is pushed in properly or tried a different scart lead?

Does the menu appear ? ie does the screen display anything at all ?

Nope, the only buttons that appear to work on the remote or down the side of the unit are the volume buttons

Have you plugged your laptop to the tv?

I don't have a laptop

Have you tried making sure the scart lead is pushed in properly or tried a different scart lead?

Yep, both of those and also different inputs, nothing

Thanks for your thoughts folks, despite the lack of success to date

If the menus dont even come on (which they should even if the players werent connecting) then that to me says the screen itself is kaput.

Bearing in mind the age and the brand Id say you got a decent run from it and look to a new one rather than trying to get it repaired.

I heard about bad people who accidentally drop the TV really hard when "decorating" to get a new one on the insurance. Cant believe anyone one would do that so dont do it as it would be fraud.

Buy a new one, then sell the old one on eBay for spares, you'll probably get £30-50 for it, if you say that it's "Insurance clean" as well then you could even fetch £75-100 for it as someone else will do a rub on it.

Haha ... thanks for the underhand suggestions chaps, i didn't even contemplate them

Anyone want a telly for £30 ?? :winking:

Back