• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Unemployment rises again

Looking around the world, the different approach that seems to have most success (admittedly with some major flaws) eg India, China, Brazil, is a form of capitalism .

These countries have millions of people who will work for next to nothing and live in poverty, hence low costs.If people in Britain were willing to work for 50p an hour we would be cheap as well.

These countries have millions of people who will work for next to nothing and live in poverty, hence low costs.If people in Britain were willing to work for 50p an hour we would be cheap as well.

There is also the option of defaulting on all of our debts and then devaluing the currency. Radical and risky but events in Europe may make it a very feasible option.

Interesting comments, I can only speak from my own experiences and I would absolutely agree that anyone joining the job hunting market at the lower end is really someone to feel sorry for at the moment. As Cricko says, they keep making people stay at work longer so there's not the turnover in companies anymore even supermarkets and McDonalds are being incredibly picky on their selection processes.

My son was 19 in May, has applied for umpteen jobs and had a few interviews but because he didn't do very well at school doesn't meet the academic levels required in many places. He's got a 2 night a week job in a fish and chip shop earning just under £60 a week - on the days he does all the hours and they don't mess his pay up or dispute his hours. That takes him over the threshold for Job Seekers Allowance by £6 a week, which means that he now gets no help with medical costs (free prescriptions or dental treatment) or with finding jobs and also doesn't get his stamp paid (which I'm told he would if on JSA). He'd be better off not working and getting the support from the Jobcentre.

He's fed up and disillusioned, feels let down by a system that failed him badly in school and college and has little motivation. I'm at a loss to know what to suggest....he's applied for night shifts in the supermarkets and plenty of other seasonal work and still nothing. It's a tough world.
why does he/you feel that?

Exactly, everytime we buy goods made in the third world we are helping to keep undercutting our own workers without benefitting workers in those countries. Not often easy to do but is the best justification to buy British, at least we have the minimum wage.

Exactly, everytime we buy goods made in the third world we are helping to keep undercutting our own workers without benefitting workers in those countries. Not often easy to do but is the best justification to buy British, at least we have the minimum wage.
But as members of the public, and British industry, we all want to pay the cheapest price.

Cricko said:
The cuts they are making across the board are ridiculous .

Those ridiculous cuts in full:

Total managed expenditure (cash figures)

2008/9 £629.6bn
2009/10 £669.4bn
2010/11 £691.7bn
2011/12 £710.4bn
2012/13 £720.2bn
2013/14 £730.1bn
2014/15 £743.6bn

The British government has never spent so much money. Below is a comparison of the Darling and Osborne plans based on 2010/11 real terms prices (again for total managed expenditure)

Year
Darling Plan
Osborne Plan
% Difference
2009/10
£689.3bn
£689.3bn
2010/11
£704.0bn
£691.7bn
2011/12
£702.5bn
£690.4bn
2012/13
£701.7bn
£682.8bn
2013/14
£699.7bn
£674.0bn
2014/15
£702.9bn
£668.4bn

Put another way, Osborne's plan reduces public spending in real terms by 1% more per year than Darling was planning.

There are too many people and not enough jobs. We cannot 'create' jobs from thin air, this will take time and depends on businesses being freed from excessive taxation and regulation, something that will only be possible if we leave the EU. This will also help solve the first problem 'too many people'. As will an end to open door immigration policies and the repatriation of foreign nationals and naturalised 'British citizens' who have committed crimes and those who have never worked.

Or we could just take the solution offered by A.S.S and his brethren and continue to insist on an unsustainable standard of living for an ever growing and ever diminishing (in terms of its capabilities) population until we reach the point of complete societal collapse.

Those ridiculous cuts in full:

Total managed expenditure (cash figures)

2008/9 £629.6bn
2009/10 £669.4bn
2010/11 £691.7bn
2011/12 £710.4bn
2012/13 £720.2bn
2013/14 £730.1bn
2014/15 £743.6bn

The British government has never spent so much money. Below is a comparison of the Darling and Osborne plans based on 2010/11 real terms prices (again for total managed expenditure)

Year
Darling Plan
Osborne Plan
% Difference
2009/10
£689.3bn
£689.3bn
2010/11
£704.0bn
£691.7bn
2011/12
£702.5bn
£690.4bn
2012/13
£701.7bn
£682.8bn
2013/14
£699.7bn
£674.0bn
2014/15
£702.9bn
£668.4bn

Put another way, Osborne's plan reduces public spending in real terms by 1% more per year than Darling was planning.

But we now know that the Government are extremely unlikely to hit their deficit reduction target in one term as they promised to do.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/nov/16/osborne-deficit-uk-economy-growth

Perhaps they should stop throwing it all abroad then and concentrate on getting this country sorted out.I agree with Rustys comment though....There are just not enough jobs to go around for the population we have now and since we started the open EU door policy to every country that had no economic idea, we now sit with with over 2 million foreigners working here and mostly sending their wages back home.

2 million foreigners working here and mostly sending their wages back home.

But still paying the same tax we do, no doubt paying rent or a mortgage, paying bills, buying food and clothes. I'm sure there are some who own businesses even create jobs and wealth.

Picking on Johnny Foreigner is always the easy option when without immigration this country just couldn't function.

But still paying the same tax we do, no doubt paying rent or a mortgage, paying bills, buying food and clothes. I'm sure there are some who own businesses even create jobs and wealth.

Picking on Johnny Foreigner is always the easy option when without immigration this country just couldn't function.

To be fair though MK, a hell of a lot of Eastern Europeans work really hard but send the money home which obviously means they are not spending it in this Country. Some that I have spoken to have a 4 or 5 year plan of working here and going back to their homeland with a few quid in the Bank.
The Asians I presume you are talking about in the NHS probably have a long term intention to live here and raise their family here which long term is beneficial to this Country..

To be fair though MK, a hell of a lot of Eastern Europeans work really hard but send the money home which obviously means they are not spending it in this Country. Some that I have spoken to have a 4 or 5 year plan of working here and going back to their homeland with a few quid in the Bank.

As I said, they must be spending some. No man can live on air alone, nor can they avoid paying income tax, VAT, NI, and all the other myriad of taxes that are lumped on us all.

Structural deficit reduction plan. There will probably be more real terms cuts in a couple of years as well. Personally I think he should have gone for a big bang approach and done it all in year one.

That was made clear later in the article.I was referring to the article's headline.One quote in the article from the Govenor of the Bank of England interested me:-"The journey to a more balanced world economy will be long and arduous," King said. "In the last three years, we have seen extraordinary events. Who knows what's going to happen tomorrow, let alone next month?" he said in the Telegraph.
Rather reminded me of Macmillan's response to a journalist when asked what could blow a government of course.
"Events,dear boy,events,."

Back