• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Unfashionable childhood heroes

Tes Bramble was the first players name I remember and liked (probably along with Kevin Maher). I went to some games in the late 90s but I was quite young and don't remember the names of players.

So my first childhood footballing hero is a rapist.

He was fashionable at the time but for some reason not so now......Gary Glitter.

I'll give you a tip, Don't request anything by him at a kids fancy dress party. Especially
if you have come as Jimmy Savile.......Some parents have no sense of humour.

Dave Regis- one xmas when we had a club shop in the shopping centre I spent my xmas money on a beaver away shirt and went to another place in the shopping centre to get Regis and number put on the back. I then started wearing it to Baddow Spartak training and the manager started calling me Cyrille which the whole team in turn started doing and I ended up being called Cyrille for a couple of seasons and other peoples parents used to ask mine why they chose such an old fashioned name during games.

Dave Regis- one xmas when we had a club shop in the shopping centre I spent my xmas money on a beaver away shirt and went to another place in the shopping centre to get Regis and number put on the back. I then started wearing it to Baddow Spartak training and the manager started calling me Cyrille which the whole team in turn started doing and I ended up being called Cyrille for a couple of seasons and other peoples parents used to ask mine why they chose such an old fashioned name during games.

Nice one.

I love the doom and gloom as much as the next person, but just to get away from it for a moment, I was reminiscing over old players earlier, and wondering if anyone had any old favourites when they were younger/first started going to The Hall, that were/are deemed as fairly unpopular, or downright awful.
The key point to this, is when I first started going to Roots Hall, I was about 8 or 9 years old. I didn’t pay attention to, or comprehend things like league tables or form guides.

Formations & tactics didn’t mean **** either. I was just a young kid, who looked forward to seeing my favourite players, irrespective of other fans opinions of them.

So, to start off, I used to love Paul Byrne, which all stemmed from his thunderbastard strike against Norwich in the late 90’s, IIRC.

I get the sense he wasn’t overly rated at Roots Hall, but to me, he was a hero at that time.

Andy Thomson was another one. I used to think Thommo was a footballing god for some reason, and could never understand why my old man didn’t get as excited about him, as I did :Hilarious:

I remember seeing Ken Charlery play literally once or twice, and thinking he was even better than Thommo!! I was devastated when I found out he’d gone to Luton(?)

Oh and megalols to the first person to link the thread title, to a joke about dress sense.

I used to think Paul Byrne was great too.

Mine was the original Dominic Iorfa. Absolutely rapid he was, and the fans around me seemed to love to see him (I remember one older chap demanding that Peter Taylor bring on 'The Lion of Lagos' from the bench), which I probably latched on to. When he re-signed for us in the late 1990s I was very excited but also old enough to recognise very quickly, with some dismay, that he had the first touch of an untrained elephant.

Mine was for a weird reason, his autograph it was so cool the way it was signed and his name Dave Chambers, only "oldies" will remember this player at Roots Hall

I used to think Paul Byrne was great too.

Mine was the original Dominic Iorfa. Absolutely rapid he was, and the fans around me seemed to love to see him (I remember one older chap demanding that Peter Taylor bring on 'The Lion of Lagos' from the bench), which I probably latched on to. When he re-signed for us in the late 1990s I was very excited but also old enough to recognise very quickly, with some dismay, that he had the first touch of an untrained elephant.

We knew him as Lame of Lagos.....(AkA Dominic I'mawful)

My name should give this away, but mine was Mike Lapper, he had one of the most majestic flattops I’ve ever seen. Surely one of the finest players to wear the custards splat kit, he used to kick footballs into the crowd before every home game, I was lucky enough to catch one of them happy days!

For some reason when I was 14/15 I thought Scannell was the most underrated player we had and that he should have been first name on the team sheet. Think it was his pace that done it. I remember a home game (I think Hartlepool) where we were 2-0 down and Scannell had a hand in all 3 of our goals in a 3-2 comeback. That sealed it for me. He was my Zone avatar for about 9 years as a result.

Simpler times

For some reason when I was 14/15 I thought Scannell was the most underrated player we had and that he should have been first name on the team sheet. Think it was his pace that done it. I remember a home game (I think Hartlepool) where we were 2-0 down and Scannell had a hand in all 3 of our goals in a 3-2 comeback. That sealed it for me. He was my Zone avatar for about 9 years as a result.

Simpler times

If it’s the same game I’m thinking of, that was the game that Tilson “had to win”, or he’d have been sacked.

I saw the great man later that evening, and had a brief chat about things, and to put it simply, he was quite relieved that we won that game.

If it’s the same game I’m thinking of, that was the game that Tilson “had to win”, or he’d have been sacked.

I saw the great man later that evening, and had a brief chat about things, and to put it simply, he was quite relieved that we won that game.
I've just looked it up and I've obviously manipulated my memory to think he had a hand in all 3 goals. Turns out he came on at 2-2. This was the game for anyone that cares.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8398142.stm

Still a legend in my eyes

I've just looked it up and I've obviously manipulated my memory to think he had a hand in all 3 goals. Turns out he came on at 2-2. This was the game for anyone that cares.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8398142.stm

Still a legend in my eyes

Look at that League table! A real mix there. Leeds, Charlton, Norwich, Southampton, Huddersfield, Brighton, Brentford, Millwall went one way, whilst Yeovil, Stockport, Orient & Hartlepool have gone the polar opposite.

Sadly, I feel we could be following one of those groups. And it’s not the good one.

Look at that League table! A real mix there. Leeds, Charlton, Norwich, Southampton, Huddersfield, Brighton, Brentford, Millwall went one way, whilst Yeovil, Stockport, Orient & Hartlepool have gone the polar opposite.

Sadly, I feel we could be following one of those groups. And it’s not the good one.
Unlikely looking,but a prolific goal scorer for us (all too briefly).......Peter Corthine....signed from Chelsea,together with another favourite of mine....Billy Wall.

Mine was for a weird reason, his autograph it was so cool the way it was signed and his name Dave Chambers, only "oldies" will remember this player at Roots Hall

I got his signature too, Dave was inside the D 'really cool ' at the time
And hambers inside the C

Last edited:
Back