• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Unfashionable childhood heroes

There is only one for me , The King of Roots Hall , BILLY BEST .

Alan Moody for me. Lived round the corner, worked in Salmons as a cobbler in the afternoons and was a quality cricketer for Hockley.

Look at that League table! A real mix there. Leeds, Charlton, Norwich, Southampton, Huddersfield, Brighton, Brentford, Millwall went one way, whilst Yeovil, Stockport, Orient & Hartlepool have gone the polar opposite.

Sadly, I feel we could be following one of those groups. And it’s not the good one.
Mental aint it. That was a really strong League 1 when you look at it now. Southampton had the likes of Lallana, Schneiderlin and Lambert. Leeds had Beckford, Snodgrass, Becchio, Johnson and Gradel. Huddersfield would have had Rhodes wouldn't they? Swindon had Austin as well. Crazy.

Sorry back to topic

Isla St Clair, presenter on generation Game with Bruce Forsyth.
I met her in 1976 when I was doing some volunteer helping with the Variety Club involving severely handicapped kids; and she was simply a beautiful person and very involved in everything; even taking the kids to the loos etc.
Such a sweet softly spoken goddess for any teenager to worship.

I don't want to be pedantic, but how is king Billy unfashionable? He was everyone's hero, including mine.
That's true , but just cannot resist telling the world that BILLY BEST is The King of Roots Hall .

Mine was no other than Barry Conlon, how low my expectations were.

Strangely enough a decade later my wife took me to watch Grimsby as it's the closest side to us and guess who made their debut on loan for them? It was a bit surreal as he's looked pretty much the same. Crap.

I met her in 1976 when I was doing some volunteer helping with the Variety Club involving severely handicapped kids; and she was simply a beautiful person and very involved in
everything; even taking the kids to the loos etc.

Well if we're going there, I vote for the lovely Linda Lusardi when everyone else raved over Sam Fox.

Bobby Gilfillan

1964-65 I was 12 years old and for the first time I saw every home game (plus 4 away), Bobby was leading goal scorer with 22 goals

I thought adrian clarke was pele-esque bitd. Cant remember which game it was but he was on fire with a delicious 40 yard chip over the keeper.

Mine seem to have come later than childhood! Andy Ansah and Ricky Otto were mine but hardly unfashionable
As I got older though I found myself strangely in awe of Trevor Fitzpatrick and Barry Conlon. I don't know whether it was because they were awful and I saw these guys and thought, if this is the level for a professional footballer I have more than half a chance to still resurrect my already sunk chances of playing football at a decent level.

I met her in 1976 when I was doing some volunteer helping with the Variety Club involving severely handicapped kids; and she was simply a beautiful person and very involved in everything; even taking the kids to the loos etc.

I don't wish to spoil your teenage fantasy about the lovely Isla but i cant be the only one who gets nervous reading that sentence....... In a post about a 1970's BBC light entertainer.

I really liked Anton Otulakowski, but I'm still not sure how to spell his name. Really skillful player and he went up in my estimation when he appeared on tv doing a somersault throw in. I was cheesed off when he and Dave Cusack were both sold to Millwall in a previous Roots Hall fire sale.

I don't wish to spoil your teenage fantasy about the lovely Isla but i cant be the only one who gets nervous reading that sentence....... In a post about a 1970's BBC light entertainer.
No, there were lot of celebrities at this fun fair (closed to public) and Isla was great, Princess Margaret was also very chatty. These kids were spastic and worse, Variety Club did make dreams come true for them and their families in a high quality day.
Believe it as over 40 years later it is a remaining high point for me to know that there is some very good and unclamouring aspects of too often decried celebrity.

I thought that Paul Byrne, Andy Thomson, Gary Jones, Julian Hails, and Adrian Clarke were good but find that others didn't like them. I thought that Ben Lewis, Garry Cross and Daniel Kerrigan were going to have great futures with us.
Also loan signings such as Kevin Rapley and Tony Battersby.

I got his signature too, Dave was inside the D 'really cool ' at the time
And hambers inside the C
It’s funny I sign my things in identical way with the D being long and other letters inside, all because of Dave Chambers and me being star struck ?

Back