• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Unfashionable childhood heroes

I'm starting to feel my age when I think back on this, but three players come to mind, Derek Woodley, John McKinven and Andie Smilie. The first two because they were wingers and I loved a quick skillful winger (still do), probably because I had none of those skills, and Andy Smilie because of a wisecrack from the North Bank in one game. Smilie had narrowly missed a scoring chance late in the game and as he got up off the ground someone shouted 'What's the matter Andy, is she taking too much out of you?' Cue loud laughter in the crowd and an embarassed smile from Andy. But If I have to choose it would have to be Woodley because his hair never got messed up, and that was very important to an impressionable young teenager like me. He's in the front row below, first on the left with a cool dude barnet!

southend-1966-67-8499891.jpg.webp

Football Liaison Officer, Det Con Dick Spooner

Always a nice guy, friendly to most fans, liked a chat, and at heart I think he was a Shrimper.

Football Liaison Officer, Det Con Dick Spooner

Always a nice guy, friendly to most fans, liked a chat, and at heart I think he was a Shrimper.
Not sure whether there were tribe of Spooners in Southend at that time. I used to play football with three Spooner brothers, Ian, Billy and Brian. Billy was in Southend old bill at the time but our team also had four others from Southend nick so it was pretty handy if things got a bit tasty.

Used to idolise David Crown. Proper goalscorer and great mullet - in particular I will always remember the two goals at Peterborough in 1990 that helped clinch promotion.... :Worthy:

Can't resist a youth team striker. I was pretty convinced that Declan Perkins, and a couple of years later Trevor Fitzpatrick, were going to be good for 20 goals a season. No idea what I based that on.

He wasn't unfashionable at all--in fact he had a great flick fringe and I can imagine him wearing a lot of lemon and pink Gabicci/ Pierre Cardin--but I did like Glenn Pennyfather.

Back