• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Quite often, the union chips in with a few shekels during the late spring / early summer months, when for most lower league clubs their cashflow has dried up, tied up in pending season ticket payments. Not the norm by any stretch but certainly not an uncommon practice. I'd guess in this instance Southend were in one such situation and paid it back as soon as the money flowed in from season ticket sales and sponsorship deals.

'Worrying, worrying times'? If all some people have to bother themselves with is a bit of speculation about the football team they support then I and a few others envy what a lucky life they must be leading.

Indeed, the thread title is slightly misleading it makes it sound like they are paying our wages now!!

I fully expect Ron to address this in his Tuesday evening blog. Until then, I'm not going to get myself into a panic over something which is effectively a rumour as far as I'm concerned, albeit perpetuated by a mainstream ("respected"?!) Sunday newspaper!

It's fine - ron will release a statement - and whatever it says, you'll will all still be happy.

I do find this revelation worrying - if we are needing loans from the players union to fund our day to day operation then that's not a good thing, even if it was just a short term solution. I would suggest that anyone with Southend United dear to their hearts should be concerned by this. Now that doesn't mean we should all become prophets of doom - a degree of perspective is needed.

When and if Ron Martin addresses this then I also believe some healthy cynicism should be used when considering his explanation. I like Ron Martin, I believe he has the best interests of the club at heart and is operating it in a responsible and business like manner in difficult times. However I don't know this to be the case, he is a property developer running a football club - history shows us that we should at least be wary.

We shouldn't take everything he says at face value automatically, questions should be asked and I'm glad there are people among our support who do ask awkward questions.

I fully expect Ron to address this in his Tuesday evening blog. Until then, I'm not going to get myself into a panic over something which is effectively a rumour as far as I'm concerned, albeit perpetuated by a mainstream ("respected"?!) Sunday newspaper!

I would hope you're right on that score, I wonder, though, if it's very easily explained - remember the CCJ back in December? Perhaps assets were temporarily frozen or something around that time. I don't know how the system works (where's the Irate one when you need him?! ;)) but it seems at least a possibility.

I would hope you're right on that score, I wonder, though, if it's very easily explained - remember the CCJ back in December? Perhaps assets were temporarily frozen or something around that time. I don't know how the system works (where's the Irate one when you need him?! ;)) but it seems at least a possibility.

Assets would not be frozen in regards to a CCJ, the only way they probably would is if a winding up petition had been issued in the high court.

If anybody wants this explained to them by Ron then they know what to do - make it one of the most e-mailed questions of the week. Of course, there'll still be time in the interim to show your "support" for the club by trying to spread as much unsubstantiated FUD as possible and resolutely ignoring any of the more innocent explanations for such an occurrence.

If Ron is reading this:

If the Union are playing the players wages would there be any chance of using the money we are saving to subsidise coaches to away games during our bid for the playoffs?

The extra support could be crucial.

It might also be a good idea to buy the players suits for the playoff final if you can get a deal.

Last edited:
Quite often, the union chips in with a few shekels during the late spring / early summer months, when for most lower league clubs their cashflow has dried up, tied up in pending season ticket payments. Not the norm by any stretch but certainly not an uncommon practice. I'd guess in this instance Southend were in one such situation and paid it back as soon as the money flowed in from season ticket sales and sponsorship deals.

'Worrying, worrying times'? If all some people have to bother themselves with is a bit of speculation about the football team they support then I and a few others envy what a lucky life they must be leading.

which would be a plausible explanation except for one thing: not many other clubs are there?

I try and take comfort with all this administration talk by looking at a club like Aldershot who went bust and started right back at the bottom again but by leasing back their ground paying non league wages and with the help of good support, fought their way back through the leagues. There is no doubt that football as we all know it will change of the next five years possibly becoming more regionalized to cut down on travel expenses and even cutting away from the premiership. All the players in the lower leagues will all be semi pros.

personally I think it's good business sence - if the PFA appear to be giving free loans, put your own cash aside (for the stadium) and take as much as you can!! All sounds like a very 'Ron Martin' thing to do...

I try and take comfort with all this administration talk by looking at a club like Aldershot who went bust and started right back at the bottom again but by leasing back their ground paying non league wages and with the help of good support, fought their way back through the leagues. There is no doubt that football as we all know it will change of the next five years possibly becoming more regionalized to cut down on travel expenses and even cutting away from the premiership. All the players in the lower leagues will all be semi pros.

I am not so sure, as Aldershot are a very rare case. Even with the current economic climate, clubs somehow seem to avoid bankruptcy.

My problem with this is that we have been led to believe that all is 'rosey'. It may be that Ron has taken advantage of the PFA's generosity, or maybe we were really cash strapped for one or two months. Either way, I bet he didn't expect the news to become public.

I bet he is mightily embarrased by this article!

personally I think it's good business sence - if the PFA appear to be giving free loans, put your own cash aside (for the stadium) and take as much as you can!! All sounds like a very 'Ron Martin' thing to do...

Careful what you say as it comes across that he is happy to be rather underhanded.

It does seem worrying that more and more information is coming from different sources about the same thing. Unless of course SZ.com is really the centre of the universe and all news stories are broken on here and then just regurgitated by the masses.

Careful what you say as it comes across that he is happy to be rather underhanded.

It does seem worrying that more and more information is coming from different sources about the same thing. Unless of course SZ.com is really the centre of the universe and all news stories are broken on here and then just regurgitated by the masses.

I'm not implying it's underhand - I'm saying it's perfect business.. A free loan available when you are trying to build up cash reserves for the biggest project in our clubs history - I'm implying it's good business - and completly legit..

I'm not implying it's underhand - I'm saying it's perfect business.. A free loan available when you are trying to build up cash reserves for the biggest project in our clubs history - I'm implying it's good business - and completly legit..

nice save...

"They have also helped out Gillingham, Luton, Rotherham, Southend, Boston and Halifax in the past 12 months."

It doesn't say when in the last 12 months though, very vague, but indicates we don't require their help now.

Just think 12 months ago we were still only a few months out of the Championship, with no doubt a reduced level of income and a higher wage bill than now (Gower, Maher, Flavs, Bailey must have all been high earners).

Still I hope RM answers this in his next blog, it would be good to have it cleared up and people's minds put at rest.

Yep, fits in nicely wth Ron's claim to be open and transparent...............

For me, it's not the fact we have borrowed money from the PFU that worries me so much, it's why?

Yes, we are in times of global economic meltdown, but in truth, that has yet to affect out club. Gates are not down by much from last season, and the only reason they were is due to our poor league form, not the fact people are skint - I think that's proven by the fact our last 3 homes gates have been 7,000+ since our uptunr in form suggested we could extend our season.

Sponsorship deals are already in place, and the executive boxes are sold out each game I believe.

The club is now already recieving money for season tickets for next season, meaning we have a laump sum of cash that is guaranteed.

We have spent barely anything on transfer fees this season, and I struggle to understand how or why our wage bill can be so large when we have a relatively young side who cannot be on substantial money, the likes of Barrett, Clarke and Freedman aside.

Finally, we have received so much money from transfers and gate receptis in the last 12 months, how can we not be flush?

I'm not suggesting we can compete with the likes of Leicester and Leeds, but I see no reason why we should not be comfortable right now, and from a laymens point of view, and possible a naive one, we ought not to be suffering any financial difficulties right now/

Back