• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

ldnfatso

Red Rep King!
http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport...Bournemouth-12-clubs-face-administration.html

Union to pay players' wages at Darlington, Stockport, Chester and Bournemouth as 12 clubs face administration

By Joe Bernstein Last updated at 10:56 PM on 28th March 2009

The players' union are having to help pay the wages at four Football League clubs this month.

The Professional Footballers' Association have stepped in with about £300,000 after League One club Stockport and League Two sides Bournemouth, Chester and Darlington were unable to guarantee their players would be paid.

They have also helped out Gillingham, Luton, Rotherham, Southend, Boston and Halifax in the past 12 months.

Although the union hope to recoup most of the money lent to clubs in trouble, their finance department has written off £250,000.

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan last week claimed the debts of Premier League sides are unsustainable and that he expects a top-flight club to go bust. But things are even worse in the lower leagues where a dozen clubs could go into administration.

A PFA source said last night: 'We see ourselves as lenders of a last resort. Obviously, we want each club to get their own house in order so they can pay the wages promised in players' contracts.

'But when we face a situation where our members face going unpaid, we have a moral duty to step in.

'We are not talking about millionaire players here. Some of the younger players might only be on £250 a week. They need the money to pay their rent or their mortgage.'

Stockport's wage bill is about £100,000 a month and chief executive Mark Maguire said: 'At Stockport, it is only a temporary loan, we should be able to pay it back in April.

'The long-term answer is for the clubs to be proper community clubs rather than relying on businessmen who want to make a profit and take money out.'

Gillingham chairman Paul Scally is calling for tougher punishments for clubs that go into administration.

'Being docked points is not enough. If a club go into administration, they should be automatically relegated a division,' he insisted.

Last edited:
Surely this can't be right - we've spent good money on transfers in the last 12 months which wouldn't have been possible if funds were tight - otherwise it's financial mismanagement on a pretty big scale. Give us a statement, SUFC!

Erm, what money have we spent in the last 12 months? Worrying times in my opinion

Oh dear :( Looks like it's sorted now though, hopefully

The article is a bit vague, it doesn't say how much, when and for how long.

For example, it could have been one month during last summer when income is much smaller.

However, since then a number of high earners have gone, Bailey and Hooper were sold and we had the chelsea games.

What is surprising is Stockport's monthly wage bill. It seems very high.

The article is a bit vague, it doesn't say how much, when and for how long.

For example, it could have been one month during last summer when income is much smaller.

However, since then a number of high earners have gone, Bailey and Hooper were sold and we had the chelsea games.

What is surprising is Stockport's monthly wage bill. It seems very high.

And Maher, Gower and Flavs.

I seem to remember a thread a few weeks ago that indicated that the club was suffering some financial difficulties. The OP was shouted down by many although he seemed to have quite 'sound' information.

The evidence of the financial difficulties is being to mount up now. I just hope that all the money being siphoned into the new stadium is a good idea and will not be a detriment to the club (if indeed we do have a club by then)

At the start of the season Ron martin said the club had budgeted on 8,000 avarage crowds. Although slightly under this amount, the money gained from both Chelsea games should see us still on this target (or possibly more). One things for certain which is in the next 12 months, with sponsorship money predicted to fall and crowds dropping due to the recession, a few clubs will definately go into administration. By all accounts southampton and charlton are in serious financial trouble.

I seem to remember a thread a few weeks ago that indicated that the club was suffering some financial difficulties. The OP was shouted down by many although he seemed to have quite 'sound' information.

The evidence of the financial difficulties is being to mount up now. I just hope that all the money being siphoned into the new stadium is a good idea and will not be a detriment to the club (if indeed we do have a club by then)

agree entirely, funny how those with sources close to the club are not believed and those with sources close to the pfa are?

rumours have been going round that we are having trouble paying players, win bonus have not been paid. its not looking rosey in the garden

I have heard a rumour that things are so tight, the club have reluctantly agreed to sell Clark Masters to Chelsea in the summer.

rumours have been going round that we are having trouble paying players, win bonus have not been paid. its not looking rosey in the garden

Following our dire spell either side of christmas, i doubt anyone in the club expected to pay win bonuse's 10 times from our last 13 games.

agree entirely, funny how those with sources close to the club are not believed and those with sources close to the pfa are?

For legal reasons we have to be very careful when people post what is effectively rumours and hearsay. If newspapers report "news" then we can link to that as it would be the newspaper that would be sued for libel. It is never the intention of the owners of this site to "cover up" allegations, we act to prevent our posters being sued.

Quite often, the union chips in with a few shekels during the late spring / early summer months, when for most lower league clubs their cashflow has dried up, tied up in pending season ticket payments. Not the norm by any stretch but certainly not an uncommon practice. I'd guess in this instance Southend were in one such situation and paid it back as soon as the money flowed in from season ticket sales and sponsorship deals.

'Worrying, worrying times'? If all some people have to bother themselves with is a bit of speculation about the football team they support then I and a few others envy what a lucky life they must be leading.

Back