• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EastStandBlue

Life President
Well, anybody could have seen that one coming. No sooner than Le Havre made idol threats to sue Manchester United for all they're worth, A Fifa judge has cleared them of any wrongdoing and allowed them to sign French starlet Paul Pogba immediately.

United are usually as immaculate off the pitch as they can be on it and, coupled with the best sports lawyers money can buy, it's of no surprise that no immediate rule break was found. Le Havre seemed to forget this going into the deal and, instead of negotiating a fair price, will now receive a pittance for potential.

Because of Pogba's age he could not, as Le Havre argued, have signed a professional contract and remained listed as an amateur receiving normal expenses. It's human nature to swap that for the comparable riches on offer at the European giants, even if the football had nothing to do with it. The French club have the right to appeal, and have said they will be pursuing the issue further but, with a Fifa appointed judge already having his say on the matter, there's little point of mounting up further legal costs. This case could do the unthinkable and end up in Le Havre losing money for their prize asset.

Where does this ruling leave small clubs though? Well, between a rock and a big club, apparently. Apprentices cannot sign a full-time contract until they are 16 and, with this ruling as precedent, will receive no help from Fifa if they choose to flock elsewhere before they come of age. Clubs within the Football League came to realise this some time ago, and have since adopted a "If you can't beat them, negotiate with them" attitude and do actually benefit from such a stance. The allure of the Premiership is a strong one, and you cannot forbid a youngster from succumbing to it.

Chelsea fans and officials alike will be wondering just where this judgement leaves them, but there is some difference between acting within the law and signing a player before he turns 16 and offering an under-contract player the world, well, kitchens to be exact in Chelsea's case, in order for him to renege on his existing contract and sign for them.

The initial response from the governing bodies of football was ferocious given the lack of substantial evidence. They promised to clamp down on illegal player trading and the poaching of Europe's young talent... a blanket ban on foreign transfers for players under the age of 18 was proposed, and supported, by many. Quite how that'll sit with EU Law and the restriction of trade act I don't know, and I suspect they don't either.

Until then, and it could be some time till such a restriction is settled, it looks as if clubs now have a license to sample whatever talent takes their fancy.

i was expecting your interesting point about Messa/Barca to be in there.

i was expecting your interesting point about Messa/Barca to be in there.

I had a little look into that, courtesy of wikipedia, but confirmed by other sources:

Messi began playing football at a young age and his potential was quickly identified by Barcelona. He left Rosario-based Newell's Old Boys's youth team in 2000 and moved with his family to Europe, as Barcelona offered treatment for his growth hormone deficiency.

Now, me personally, if that's not inducing a player to sign a contract I don't know what is. But, 9 years ago, player movement wasn't such a problem... Especially for some relatively unknown entity joining Barcelona.

Back