• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Manchester United, eliminated from the Champions League by an Italian side last season, have clearly leaned their lesson well, for this was a victory copied straight out of the Serie A handbook. There were no wanton flourishes, no unnecessary garnish, this was just cold, merciless football and how well it worked.

Sir Alex Ferguson knew that his opposite number would be in a quandary. With the first leg in France ending 1-1, Alan Perrin was all too aware that if Lyon attacked early in search of the vital away goal, then they would leave space behind them for United to counter-attack. If they were cautious and waited to make a break, then the pressure would build to unbearable levels. Ferguson decided to let them dig their own grave and he duly packed the centre of the pitch with Darren Fletcher, Michael Carrick and Anderson. If the French did launch an offensive, then they’d have to throw men forward to do it and sooner or later, a gap would appear for Wayne Rooney or Ronaldo to exploit. It was like watching a shark circling a rowing boat, trying to figure out the exact bit of the hull at which to charge in order to spill the occupants into the water.

Lyon are no novices at Champions League football, but strangely they seemed to have gone out with exactly the same intention. They were initially content to let United come at them, but the trouble with two teams playing this kind of defensive ‘chicken’ is that someone has to swerve first and it’s never going to be the team with the away goal. Lyon eventually cracked and were punished just before half-time.

This game will never make a bestselling DVD, but far from being boring, it was strangely compelling. This was a mature, composed performance that speaks volumes for the way Ferguson breeds his players. United are known for their rampant football, but there was little evidence of it here and, oddly, that’s a good sign. True champions know instinctively when to charge and when to hold and United never put a foot wrong. Lyon had a handful of half chances and even hit the post when Keita suddenly burst into the penalty area, but these were few and far between. As soon as Ronaldo had poked home from an increasing angle, United were as good as through to the last eight.

Karim Benzema, so impressive in the first leg, seemed almost overwhelmed by the occasion and struggled. If he did manage to get hold of the ball, he was quickly suffocated by Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand. His fellow prodigy Hatem Ben Arfa was equally disappointing. It tells you everything you need to know about the balance of power in this match that Lyon’s most impressive player was Jeremy Toulalan, their tough-tackling, defensive midfielder.

It was no classic and it certainly won’t be remembered as fondly as their title rivals’ extraordinary victory in the San Siro, but United fans won’t care one bit. They will take their place in the Quarter-Finals with quiet, growing confidence. Notorious for their exploits on the offensive, it appears that Ferguson’s men are just as deadly on the back foot.

No comments on the Arsenal game, Slip?

Going off of what ITV4's preview shows were saying about him, Benzeema's got the potential to kick some serious backside, and he's what? barely 20? Champions League L16, Man Utd. Yeah, I can see him choking a bit.

C Ronaldo had yet another poor game IMO. took his goal well but his passing, workrate and movement was very very poor. for a midfielder to score 30goals so far this season is incredible, and he is always going to have a game when it doesn't go his way.... but is this more fuel to the "fails to perform in big games" fire??

Grosso and Toulan were excellent at getting tight to him, but he never seemed to ever link up with Wes Brown, who was quality last night.

Anderson has a lot of promise but isn't quite balanced yet with his passing, fletcher works like a dog and carrick can put a ball on a 6pence from a mile away... all 3 were left to do their own thing by lyon as they knew that doubling up on rooney and ronaldo was key. if scholes or giggs had been playing, it would definitely had been the straw that broke the camels back

job done though... even if ronaldo didn't break into a sweat

No comments on the Arsenal game, Slip?

Going off of what ITV4's preview shows were saying about him, Benzeema's got the potential to kick some serious backside, and he's what? barely 20? Champions League L16, Man Utd. Yeah, I can see him choking a bit.

I didn't get to watch it, I'm afraid. I got given this one instead. Sounds like they did well though. I've got the game taped, so I'll be watching it later.

Benzema is a class act, no doubt. He was rubbish last night, mind.

C Ronaldo had yet another poor game IMO. took his goal well but his passing, workrate and movement was very very poor. for a midfielder to score 30goals so far this season is incredible, and he is always going to have a game when it doesn't go his way.... but is this more fuel to the "fails to perform in big games" fire??

job done though... even if ronaldo didn't break into a sweat

Well, he's got to have a bad game at some point, hasn't he? He wasn't quite at the races last night, but I doubt anyone will mind too much. Good spot on Wes Brown, by the way. I really don't know why him and Fletcher get so much criticism, they're really good, dependable players.

Well, he's got to have a bad game at some point, hasn't he? He wasn't quite at the races last night, but I doubt anyone will mind too much. Good spot on Wes Brown, by the way. I really don't know why him and Fletcher get so much criticism, they're really good, dependable players.

yeah exactly... my point in whole was that he wasn't quite at his best, he was up against a world cup winning left-back and the best player on the pitch was their DM, and he still scored the winning goal. Although it was job done, I'm starting to get the feeling that if Ronaldo doesn't start performing to his best in the business end of the FA cup and Champions League, then it's going to massively detract from the outstanding performances he has put in to-date. he is a class player, but he hasn't quite done it on the European Cup or National cup stage... yet

I didn't get to watch it, I'm afraid. I got given this one instead. Sounds like they did well though. I've got the game taped, so I'll be watching it later.

Benzema is a class act, no doubt. He was rubbish last night, mind.

Ahh. Right. That makes sense.

Wes Brown, while he isn't in the same category as Titus Bramble, can certainly have a clanger on occasion (more often than the best, at any rate). He's a good player, but while C Ronaldo probably won't have quite a bad game as he did (apparently) against Lyon, Wes probably will have another clanger. I think that's what separates the Ronaldos from the Browns of football really, not the fancy **** tricks that Ronaldo pulls on a frequent basis, but how consistant they are.

Back