• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Xàbia Shrimper

Co-founder of ShrimperZone
Does anyone else remember the United for Southend campaign that was quite prominent in the early 90s?

For reference, Jobson had started talks with Basildon Council in January 1992 over a new 25,000 all-seater stadium in the New Town; I seem to recall that he had even submitted an outline planning proposal to the council. The United for Southend campaign made a few representations to Norman Clarke and Southend Borough Council and I've noted in my diary of that year that a meeting was held at The Esplanade on March 9th. And then, frustratingly, there are no more references.

I am in the midst of drafting a quite exhaustive account of Southend United's 25-year quest for a new stadium from the Sutton Road proposal through the many threats to move away from the town and to the current drawn-out crusade to move the club to Fossetts Farm. Clearly, over such a long time period as the grey cells begin to scramble with age, there are bound to be several gaps of information which I intend to try and fill over the next few months and United for Southend is one. For instance, I can't remember whether United for Southend and the True Blues were one and the same thing?

If anyone can offer information, comments, etc. they would be most gratefully received - with suitable reference of course. Please PM me.

Cheers,
Mike
he who tips toe in the Med

I was digging through a box of old programmes, newspapers and magazines that I had dragged out to here to Spain and found Issue No. 4 of the True Blues magazine from March 1989 with a report into the public inquiry into the proposed move to Sutton Road. I can't believe that was over 20 years ago.

I was digging through a box of old programmes, newspapers and magazines that I had dragged out to here to Spain and found Issue No. 4 of the True Blues magazine from March 1989 with a report into the public inquiry into the proposed move to Sutton Road. I can't believe that was over 20 years ago.

About the same time that Tilly made his debut IIRC ...:sherlock:

I was vice chairman of U for S. Chris Avis was chairman. Lots of the Roots Hall Roar team were involved as were Hooly, Charlie Benson, the late Keith Summers along with many others.

And the True Blues were not connected although a certain trainspotter was involved in both, I believe.

I was vice chairman of U for S. Chris Avis was chairman. Lots of the Roots Hall Roar team were involved as were Hooly, Charlie Benson, the late Keith Summers along with many others.

And the True Blues were not connected although a certain trainspotter was involved in both, I believe.

Care to share some memories?

Back